Texasbowhunter.com Blanco County Season-long Live Hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
    You hunting this morning or did you have to leave To pick out doilies for wedding center pieces?

Good luck!

[emoji15][emoji15]….[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Comment

Good luck!

Comment

Dad forgot his phone this morning.

We decided to sit at Garcia this morning in hopes of seeing Axis. We had a whitetail in early, before daylight, but she was really nervous.she came in and out several times to get a bite of corn. It finally got light enough to shoot and she came within 25 yards. I readied for the shot, but another deer (doe) approached from behind and that made her nervous and she trotted back into the brush away from us. The other deer never came in, and we
        Haven’t seen anything since.

Comment

Michael posting from Hannah’s phone, updating yesterday evening’s hunt…

We had three does that came in at last light. They came in fast and everything came together quickly. The lead doe came into Hannah’s shooting lane and Hannah readied for the shot while I operated the camera. She waited for the doe to turn broadside and then began her draw. I noticed the doe take a opioid of steps forward, turning slightly quartering to, so I whispered to Hannah to “put it right on the shoulder”. She let the arrow fly and I heard a solid hit. However, we couldn’t really tell where it hit. She bolted to our left, but we quickly lost sight of her and couldn’t really tell which direction she ran. We watched the other two does run straight away and stop at 100 or so yards to look back at us. They stayed there for several minutes before running off.

We checked the camera. It was hard to see the arrow on the LCD monitor, but from what we could see it looked like a pretty good shot. We decided to quietly check the arrow. It ad brown/green matter so it was evident she had caught some paunch. We opted to back out and give her plenty of time. We got back to camp and checked the video on a bigger screen. The shot initially looked good, low behind the shoulder, and even with the quartering angle my confidence increased. We decided to eat dinner, watch a little football and then go recover the deer after plenty of time to expire.

Unfortunately, we were never able to find any blood or other sign beyond brown matter a few yards from the impact. We searched the area extensively, but were unable to find the doe.

We were extremely disappointed, but it is a learning experience about shot angle and placement. I’ll post stills and video of the shot when I get a chance to work on it.

Comment

We found the deer Hannah shot after we stopped on the drive back in. We found a large puddle of blood where she stood after the shot, but not much before or after. I glassed around a little before we spotted a couple of buzzards on a fence crossing. She was there. It wasn’t a bad shot. Probably a little low and too far back for the angle, but I’m surprised there wasn’t a better blood trail. Nothing to salvage other than the learning experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            My Flickr Photos

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
              We found the deer Hannah shot after we stopped on the drive back in. We found a large puddle of blood where she stood after the shot, but not much before or after. I glassed around a little before we spotted a couple of buzzards on a fence crossing. She was there. It wasn’t a bad shot. Probably a little low and too far back for the angle, but I’m surprised there wasn’t a better blood trail. Nothing to salvage other than the learning experience.

Glad you found it but wish we had stumbled on her last night. I hate those minimal sign trails. Just tough. I don't think tracking will be easy this season in the dust bowl conditions.

I'm out all this week but hope to be back at it next weekend. Kels is considering a trip out tonight to get another hunt in with y'all. We'll keep you posted.

Comment

Glad y'all found it for her! Always good to get some closure.

Comment

I’m sitting in the quad pod Thai Casey and I set up yesterday. Hannah is at the Barn, Jnet is at BSN and Kels came back this evening and is hunting Mighty Buck. Should be a good evening!

My Flickr Photos

Comment

My view from the Quad.

My Flickr Photos

Comment

My view from the Quad.

Whats that thing on the end of your stabilzer?

Comment

Mr Squirrel is a curious one…

My Flickr Photos

Comment

I'm watching from the cheap seats.

Michael hand corning earlier.Click image for larger version

Name:	38728261-8e91-4bbd-848f-163e7b7af87d.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	24695703

Comment

Thai Casey.

I like this name. Let’s keep it!

Good luck tonight

Comment

Hannah had her first solo hunt this evening.
                              She texted the group that she had shot a doe…

“Arrow didn’t go all the way through watched her run about probably 100 yards and then lost her over the ridge but I know what direction she went.”

She filmed the shot with my RX100, but couldn’t tell much with my broken screen. I told her to wait 30 minutes until we could review the video. In the meantime, she filled up am SD card with post-shot material!

We reviewed the video on my computer and really couldn’t tell much (she kept a pretty wide angle) but she felt like it was a good shot, so we decided to go look for blood and evaluate.

Jnet, Kels, Hannah and I immediately found good blood on the rocks and were able to follow it fairly easily, although there were a couple of times where we lost it for a few minutes before finding it again. Kels and Hannah have great eyes!

Finally, Hannah saw a white lump in the distance. She wasn’t sure if it was a rock or a belly until we walked farther up the trail and she raised her hands in victory!

It was a great shot. I’m surprised at how far it ran, but we ultimately found it.

Dinner is ready and we have a deer to clean, but we’ll update more later!
                              My Flickr Photos

Comment

Way to go Hannah! Congrats deer slayer!

Comment

Working...
                                X