Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ace340cs View Post
    The Rio Grande Valley is the place!!!!
    What would you say are the least desirable areas of RGV?

I'd say Brownsville and Rio Grande City.

Comment

Rio, Roma & Escobares are pretty crusty & seems to stand out more simply because 83 hugs the river easier to spot as you travel through...it's also pretty bad sotb in those areas well. Lots helicopters / surveillance blimps & LE presence seen & heard due to the layout as well.

Comment

They call it Land of Mañana for a reason. I spent time working along the border. I agree it is as safe as anywhere else. If you are looking to get things done in a hurry and need to rely on others it can be challenging.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
          I haven't been to Brownsville in a while, but I was in McAllen last week. One thing I always notice about the valley when I'm there, is how effing slow everyone moves! It drives me insane, from driving, to getting through the grocery store, everyone moves in slow motion, ALL THE TIME.
          Sounds like Louisiana!!

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Comment

No doubt we have the worse drivers in the state!!

Comment

Having lived there much of my life except for the last 7 years and living in Houston now, I agree that people drive slow in the Valley. This time of the year it can be magnified due to the number of winter Texans in the area. If I went back I think I would stay out of Harlingen and San Benito. Not so much cause of the crime but just not a whole lot going on there. A couple of years ago I believe San Benito was the poorest city in the country followed by Harlingen.

Even when you look at the Valley as a local there are some differences. Upper Valley (McAllen/Edinburg) is faster paced than the Lower Valley.

Comment

Cities

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
                What would you say are the least desirable areas of RGV?

I'd say Brownsville and Rio Grande City.
                From Sharyland/ Mission to the West, there are some bad hombre towns,,, anything to the East are far better ,,,when it comes to car chases and illegal activity..... my two cents,,,, years back i got my truck broken in , while public hunting @ the Laguna Atascosa Refuge!!!! lol

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
                  Rio, Roma & Escobares are pretty crusty & seems to stand out more simply because 83 hugs the river easier to spot as you travel through...it's also pretty bad sotb in those areas well. Lots helicopters / surveillance blimps & LE presence seen & heard due to the layout as well.
                  Rio, Roma are pretty rough areas, the LA Union ranch in rio was right on 83 and I never once saw any I.C.E or BP but lots of dude’s pushing bicycles north

Comment

I haven't been to Brownsville in a while, but I was in McAllen last week. One thing I always notice about the valley when I'm there, is how effing slow everyone moves! It drives me insane, from driving, to getting through the grocery store, everyone moves in slow motion, ALL THE TIME.
                    Down here, we’re all about Mañana man!

Comment

I live down here 6 months of the year. Getting things done by others is a challenge and sometimes frustrating. As far as stolen vehicles it seemed like older 3/4 and ton trucks were a favorite that ended up south of the Rio Grande. Mine has security but I also use a club to deter anyone.

Comment

This thread cracks me up. Some good and valid points made and then some people have no idea what they're talking about. I grew up in Brownsville, still live here and raised my own family here. Since your original question was, "is it safe?" I would say Yes - without hesitation. I feel far safer here than I do when I visit some other cities in Texas, like Austin a couple of weeks ago. And yes, we move at a slower pace here and we like it that way. It's called the land of manana for a reason.

Sent from my LG-M430 using Tapatalk

Comment

Slow? Check out Georgetown. And next, plenty of Austin nuts honking horns invading the same space (none of them are Native to central Texas). Worst traffic in the world is Round Rock. I used to be in the country. I am now in the world. I just wish everyone was perfect like me!

Comment

and I grew up south Texas (Corpus Christi) and worked in San Benito for a while as well so can say a "little". Loved San Benito but that was many years ago. so friendly.

Comment

This is spot on. If you stop for a drink at the convenient store you better have 45min to burn. A line of 6 with no one in front of you in a hurry and the cashier **** sure doesn’t have another gear.

There are some decent golf courses in the valley you can play pretty cheap. But don’t get in a hurry there either, they have no issues with groups of 6 playing and even if they were to let you play through there’s just another group in front of them.

Comment

Originally posted by toomuchsun View Post
                                and I grew up south Texas (Corpus Christi) and worked in San Benito for a while as well so can say a "little". Loved San Benito but that was many years ago. so friendly.
                                Born and raised in San Benito, glad to hear you had a good experience down here.

Comment

Working...
                                X