Buying a boat ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying a boat ??

So I'm looking to buy a used boat. It's a 7-8 hour drive but he may be driving it to me. Owner still has a note on the boat.

What's the best way to make the deal and both sides be protected? Last time I bought a boat the guy had titles in hand. He will have to pay off the loan before getting title from the bank.

If his bank (haven't asked yet) is a big chain and we met at a different branch would the bank give me the title? Or at least paperwork saying I own it and send me the titles?

If the bank has no branch near me what should I do? Ideas?

I did this last year. You pay his bank and they will mail the titles to you. You arrange pickup of the boat with the seller.

Comment

He still has to fill out the TP&WD forms to transfer the titles.

Comment

Originally posted by Eastwood View Post
        I did this last year. You pay his bank and they will mail the titles to you. You arrange pickup of the boat with the seller.
        Same deal but I did it 5 years ago, you need to go with him to whoever has the title right now whether that be his bank, credit lender etc to pay it off. After that both of you need to go to the nearest TPWD office and file the paperwork for titles on both the vessel and the outboard, they will help fill it out they do this every day.
        If you leave with the boat with tpwd title paperwork filled out wrong and no bill of sale it can get messy.

Comment

check it out in person, and then use your bank to communicate/deal with his bank and keep everything on the up and up. I've had a loan of some sort through my local bank for almost 20years and they have really taken care of me, until my loan officer retired.

Comment

On a side note the odds of you going to TP&W Department and doing the title work without an appointment are slim to none

Comment

I just bought a boat in Florida and what I ended up doing to wiring the money and paying the loan off directly. The bank then sent the title. The owner prepared a bill of sale, we both signed and then we had a "text conversation" out lining the agreement as well as had information concerning the boat sale on the wire transfer paperwork.

The title ended up getting mailed to the former owner. He received the title and mailed it to me yesterday, and sent me the tracking info. Since the boat was in Florida I took the boat back with me and just documented the poop out of it.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

I would get with the bank he's financed through, and buy it via loan with them. Pay it off in 15 days if you want. Easiest way to me, but other methods work for sure.

Comment

I had this issue back in June this last year, met a guy with a Polaris Ranger for sale. after checking it out we went to the credit union that he still owed money on it for, I paid him cash there, he paid off the loan, then the Credit union wrote up a notarized Bill of sale and put in the paperwork to mail me the title (apparently they do not physically hold the title, just the rights to the title, so they had to have the physical title withdrawn from wherever they store it and mail to me). I felt a bit weird leaving without the title, but the seller was a good guy and having the notarized bill of sale felt better. Title arrived in a week or two. Fairly Painless, now dealing with TPWD title Transfer for boats and motors is another story.

Had to get the titles transferred with TPWD for a boat and motor this last week which was a pain, had to make an appointment which turned out to be a waste of time....got there and there wasn't a single car in the parking lot, called like you're supposed to do to say you're in the parking lot. They "got me on the list" meanwhile some Karen walked up and started throwing a fit about not knowing she needed to make an appointment, throwing up her arms while repeatedly trying to force the door Open (it stays locked and they let you in one at a time). finally went back to her car, only to be called in 3 minutes later.....she was in there for close to 40 minutes while I sat in my truck.

Definitely call your closest TPWD office prior to going in just in case they require an appointment and actually enforce that (Unlike the headquarters in austin).

Comment

Originally posted by Garbuster View Post
                    On a side note the odds of you going to TP&W Department and doing the title work without an appointment are slim to none
                    False. I just bought a boat middle of last month and called to set up an appt and they said they don't do appointments, just show up. Walked right into the office on 8 in Houston and was the only person there. Out in 10 minutes with the reg card and sticker.

Edit: and my titles showed up last week.

Comment

Originally posted by Jet Black View Post
                      False. I just bought a boat middle of last month and called to set up an appt and they said they don't do appointments, just show up. Walked right into the office on 8 in Houston and was the only person there. Out in 10 minutes with the reg card and sticker.

It varies by location, OP should definitely call ahead, most that do take appointments have same day openings.

Comment

TP&W in Haltom City was walk in/out for me last week.

Comment

Originally posted by Jet Black View Post

Didn't think they were back to normal yet

Comment

Originally posted by Aggie13 View Post
                            I had this issue back in June this last year, met a guy with a Polaris Ranger for sale. after checking it out we went to the credit union that he still owed money on it for, I paid him cash there, he paid off the loan, then the Credit union wrote up a notarized Bill of sale and put in the paperwork to mail me the title (apparently they do not physically hold the title, just the rights to the title, so they had to have the physical title withdrawn from wherever they store it and mail to me). I felt a bit weird leaving without the title, but the seller was a good guy and having the notarized bill of sale felt better. Title arrived in a week or two. Fairly Painless, now dealing with TPWD title Transfer for boats and motors is another story.

Had to get the titles transferred with TPWD for a boat and motor this last week which was a pain, had to make an appointment which turned out to be a waste of time....got there and there wasn't a single car in the parking lot, called like you're supposed to do to say you're in the parking lot. They "got me on the list" meanwhile some Karen walked up and started throwing a fit about not knowing she needed to make an appointment, throwing up her arms while repeatedly trying to force the door Open (it stays locked and they let you in one at a time). finally went back to her car, only to be called in 3 minutes later.....she was in there for close to 40 minutes while I sat in my truck.

Definitely call your closest TPWD office prior to going in just in case they require an appointment and actually enforce that (Unlike the headquarters in austin).

When I sold my cattle trailer that had a loan on it this is exactly what I did. Met at the buyers credit union and they did all the leg work. When the title was mailed to me I sent it right to him with a tracking number. I stayed in contact with him the whole time. Fairly easy process and his credit union doing the leg work made me feel good.

Comment

Originally posted by Garbuster View Post
                              Originally posted by TexasBob View Post
                              I would get with the bank he's financed through, and buy it via loan with them. Pay it off in 15 days if you want. Easiest way to me, but other methods work for sure.
                              This is the easiest way, bank handles all the paperwork and titles and takes any of the risk of issues with that stuff. You show up, sign some stuff, and drive off with your boat.

Comment

Working...
                              X