Federal pacific breaker old box?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Capt.Brown View Post
    Those are very dangerous breakers I’ve been told by numerous electricians. They sometimes don’t trip and cause fires from what I understand.

So very true
    And don’t reset an FPE Starter unless your behind a blast shield

That panel needs an upgrade

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

When I was an electrician for Sanger Harris we would short a circuit out to find the breaker as they never labeled them. The store's that had FPE breakers we could actually leave a nice weld bead around the faceplate and rattle the conduit before they would trip!! If it were me I'd go to another brand rather than risk electrocution or a fire - Just my 2 cents

Comment

I've been out of the business for quite a few years.
        Last I heard FPE was a fire hazard just like aluminum wiring. However, my years of absence prevented me from commenting earlier.
        If new breakers are available and are UL listed, why change the whole panel?

I'd certainly, replace all the breakers, even if I had to do it one at a time.

Comment

Federal pacific is bad news. You have a good reason to put in a new panel and add the needed breakers. Jeapardizing your home to fire hazard is just not worth it.

Comment

^^This all the way!!

Comment

My son in law is a master electrician and he said its like having a welder on the side of your house.

Comment

Originally posted by hpdrifter View Post
                I've been out of the business for quite a few years.
                Last I heard FPE was a fire hazard just like aluminum wiring. However, my years of absence prevented me from commenting earlier.
                If new breakers are available and are UL listed, why change the whole panel?

I'd certainly, replace all the breakers, even if I had to do it one at a time.
                THIS... Now with that said, replacing all the breakers would be expensive also.

Comment

I agree with all that you should replace the federal pacific panel. We called them no blow Federals. Maybe the new breakers are built differently, but the original FP breakers are known not to trip. If you can change your panel, by all means. Do it.

Comment

Replace the entire panel. It’s past it’s useful lifetime and the breakers are a known hazard.

Federal Pacific Electric Stab-Lok® Circuit Breaker Hazard Current Status, Failures, Research, & History Federal Pacific Electric FPE Stab-Lok® Panel Replacement Financial Aid? Summary of the Problem: Federal Pacific Stab-Lok® ® Electric Panel and Circuit Breaker Hazards FPE Stab-Lok® Equipment Means Latent Fire Hazards Cost-benefit analysis of replacing an FPE Stab-Lok® electrical panel Most recently-published data updating findings on the FPE Stab-Lok® ® Hazard FPE Stab-Lok® Hazard Summary Page for Public Use Questions & answers about FPE Federal Pacific Electric panels and circuit breakers, Federal Pioneer, and related brands

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

For the cost of new replacement breakers you can replace the panel with newer breakers. If your handy it’s not that hard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Some insurance companies will not insurance the building with that panel.

Comment

I can get all new updated CE breakers for 250$

Can someone explain what part the panel itself plays in this hazard.. from what I can figure the breakers where the weak link-

Comment

Do a quick google search and you will find plenty to read and testing data. One of the first searches that came up was insurance companies not insuring these panels. If I remember right, a lot of the panels were installed from the 50’s to 85, with some being just a tad later.

Comment

Originally posted by kingranch View Post
                              I can get all new updated CE breakers for 250$

Can someone explain what part the panel itself plays in this hazard.. from what I can figure the breakers where the weak link-
                              If the breakers you are buying are UL listed, then you should be safe. You may still have to argue with people because the panel is a "FPE" panel.

Comment

I'd replace everything however this current panel acts as a pass through for another unit in the complex. That would mean paying a contractor/electrician to enter another person's unit to disconnect their feed and run it out from my box. Very strange setup imo. I figured the safest and easiest way to correct all of this is new CE UL listed breakers that are stablok

Comment

Working...
                                X