No announcement yet.

School security

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How about, wild notion, let teachers exercise their 2nd amendment rights. Let principals carry. If the principal has a student he does not trust, let's check that specific student, not ALL students. If teachers don't want to carry, that's cool, the parents should be allowed to move their kids out of that class if they would like. If a principal refuses to allow teachers to carry, the school can be petitioned to have him removed, if the majority want teachers to carry.

There is zero "one size fits all" solutions. And trying to "Secure schools like the capitol" only increases our taxes, ****** off the good kids (And parents who have to wait), teaches kids to accept unwarranted searches and that their fellow student is not to be trusted, and promotes an atmosphere of fear. Among other things. And at the end of the day, a shooter can just wait 1' outside the door of the building and do the exact same thing he would have otherwise done in a classroom.

Comment

I'd open my wallet up and spend a few hundred dollars to pay some off-duty officers OT to rotate security shifts at the school. At a large elementary school if every family pitched in, you could post a couple extra people up at school.

Can bad stuff still happen, absolutely, but at least you have a better deterrent in place.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
        Maybe instead of building grandiose football stadiums use that money on security?

Unfortunately nothing will work when you have crazy people with ill intent on their minds.
        All school are equal when it comes to money for education from the state (per student). Poor districts get the same as districts with $80m indoor practice facilities. The difference is the richer districts pay for those absurd amenities through bond elections.

The state of Texas as of May 2018 didn't have any standard for school security, no program to monitor or audit a districts safety. I think there should spot inspections for things like unlocked doors, complacency in procedure that compromises security. If that school scores below a certain grade then, the district has to fork over some of that bond money to go into a school safety fund.

When Little Johnny has to play football in the old stadium because the district was lacks on safety and you start dipping into their wallets then things will change. If the School board cant figure out how to do it, or if they have the wrong administration in place to get it done, and it starts becoming obvious to tax payers that their tax money was squandered away; THEN you'll see a change.

This is a idea and my opinion. I understand very well that evil in this world is all around us and some how some way bad things will still happen, but doing nothing is the wrong thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Man View Post

My question is why did this problem not exist 50 years ago when a lot of us were growing up? We had guns. We had schools. Could it possibly be the fact that we were a real Christian Nation with morals as compared to now?
          Back then, we weren’t put in time out. We got our buts busted and we moved on.

Comment

Originally posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post
            Please go back and read post #7. There’s where you’ll find your answer.
            you've got to have a parent that WILL do that!

Comment

Originally posted by sqiggy View Post
              Back then, we weren’t put in time out. We got our buts busted and we moved on.
              there were also stronger family "units" and the morals weren't deteriorated.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoggslayer View Post

This is a idea and my opinion. I understand very well that evil in this world is all around us and some how some way bad things will still happen, but doing nothing is the wrong thing.
                Spot on. Doing nothing is the equivalent of sleeping with your doors unlocked at night. My doors at home are locked day and night. Can someone still breach my home? Absolutely. And then they will be shot in the face numerous times.

Comment

They should have security infrastructure in place at schools.

schools should be designed where all hallways have their own security doors, much like most hospitals. Grades are broken down by hallways and they never come out of hallway even when bel rings.

All schools should have panic alarms.

All schools should budget for armed security guards.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
                    Maybe instead of building grandiose football stadiums use that money on security?

Unfortunately nothing will work when you have crazy people with ill intent on their minds.
                    That’s a really popular idea, last night I was talking with some friends and that was the topic, over the top sports arenas
                    Here in Boerne , BISD is pushing for a sports announcer, instant replay jumbo screens in all the sports, softball, baseball, football , to replace the present sports media center
                    Seems like a a huge mess bond and taxing issues
                    Maybe security should be more relevant

And 50 years ago we had mass killings like the UT tower shooter, political assassins, political riots, I don’t see much change
                    Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 05-27-2022, 07:32 AM.

Comment

We also have the highest rate of single parent households on the planet at around 27%. That's 3-4 times the average of the rest of the world. It all starts in the home.

Comment

A couple of years ago, after Sante Fe, I proposed a security idea that would cost very little but up the amount of armed protectors instantly at every school. It was not acted on.

My plan was to have volunteering teachers go through an intensive training program for armed threats. Once trained, these teachers would have a nondescript lockbox secured to their desk. If an event was unfolding, the teacher would put in their code, and the lock box would open. When this occurred, a signal would go to the district office that the box was opened and where it was opened. The gun inside would be painted orange so that incoming police would recognize the person as probably a good guy. We could have a number of armed teachers on the scene immediately.

Comment

Originally posted by S-3 Ranch View Post
                          That’s a really popular idea, last night I was talking with some friends and that was the topic, over the top sports arenas
                          Here in Boerne , BISD is pushing for a sports announcer, instant replay jumbo screens in all the sports, softball, baseball, football , to replace the present sports media center
                          Seems like a a huge mess bond and taxing issues
                          Maybe security should be more relevant

And 50 years ago we had mass killings like the UT tower shooter, political assassins, political riots, I don’t see much change
                          50yrs ago it was stabbings in school.

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
                            Even if the money is appropriated, finding the people to fill the positions is problematic. Can you imagine how boring it must be to stand around all day doing nothing everyday waiting for years for a threat that may not ever happen. There is no easy solution, and I don’t think there is any solution to stop every lunatic/psycho out there who is intent on killing a large number of people.
                            I honestly don't think so Randy...if the hardening was done correctly, I think there would be plenty of LE that would enjoy / take pride protecting our kids.

Schumer blocked a bill a day or two ago for funding that would harden in this manner. Blocked because it 'would bring more guns on campus.' It's mind boggling how irrational liberals become about firearms. They do not even want armed protection via LE. This is totally irrational.

How much more clown show can this get??

Comment

Originally posted by SCREAMINREELS View Post
                              Look up watchdogs.

Our school has a program called watchdogs and it’s actually a nationally recognized program. Being armed is not part of it but among other things keeping an eye on the campus is. Multiple dads there every day for this exact reason.
                              I was a Watchdog when my son was in school. I enjoyed every minute of it. Sure we weren't armed, but I would have gone down fighting to protect those kids.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                                Joe Pags had the answer to school shootings today. He said congress should give all schools the same security that they have at the Capital.
                                I’ve made this argument more time than I can count with libs the last few days. They believe outlawing the
                                AR-15 will immediately stop all school shooting. I just can’t with them anymore. The level of stupidity is hurting my brain.

Comment

Working...
                                X