AIRBNB and VRBO cleaning fees ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bowhunterhelm View Post
    I've stayed at a few, at then end of the day the total price is agreed to an it is what it is.
    The itemized fee may show your lodging, cleaning fee, and taxes but it's still $200 a night or what ever it breaks down to.

Do I expect to pay a cleaning fee? Not really, do I pay one at a hotel? I honestly don't know. I don't really care about the itemized price, show me my total fee and I'll make the decision on weather I want to stay there or not. They can split the cost up however they want to after that.
    This is my thought also.

The bait and switch aspect is what I don’t care for. When I look for a Nice enough place on the coast on the water for a few days and it shows $400 a night. Great I’ll pay $1200 for nice waterfront with a dock midweek. Go to book it and there’s about $600 or more in fees. I just don’t like that. I’m sure it’s hard to show all the extra charges without the weird breakouts that those vrbo or Airbnb add at the end.

I have a few that I rent from the actual owner. The rate shown is what you pay.

I think some cities are getting in on it and collecting at tax and or banning short term rentals.

Comment

Originally posted by Graysonhogs View Post
      Not always true. My brother and I stayed in a really nice two bedroom house in Taos last year. Fantastic views, everything you needed. $139.00/night. Hotel would be close to that. Hotels suck in comparison.
      Right but "most" of the time the math goes the other way.. I prefer AirBnB myself even if it's a few dollars more.

Comment

I am only looking at the cost per night. I don't care how the price is split up.

Comment

Just looking at total cost per night when we stay somewhere (probably 1-8-10 nights with AirB&B in the last year). I will say though when a place is advertised for 129.99 a night and then when you click on it and there is a cleaning fee that is $50 or higher and after fees I am seeing 200-250$ I immediately go onto the next property. Just rubs me the wrong way when I click on something in my price range and then when I go to check out its suddenly almost double the "initial rate".

AirB&B and VRBO are awesome but the service fees and cleaning fee's have been going up the last couple years at a rate that made hotels much more practical in many scenarios again...

Comment

Originally posted by BLee15 View Post
            Every time I looked into one the cleaning fee was at least $100. Never ended up being cheaper than staying at a hotel
            Why would you think a BnB would ever be cheaper than a hotel? Most BnB's you get a house and/or property all to yourself. That has to be worth a lot versus being in a crowded hotel where you wonder if your TV is waking up room next to you or their TV is keeping you up etc.

Comment

We charge just a flat fee, no additional cleaning fee. House is going to have to be cleaned, laundry done no matter how many days it is rented.
              Adios,
              Gary

Comment

Originally posted by Rick View Post
                I look at that as part of the total price, unless i am doing a really short stay, i prefer them to hotels. The cleaning fee does irk me though, because i leave places very clean. All dishes washed and put up, dirty towels/sheets in a pile (or in washer if it has one), etc
                No matter how clean you leave it the floors still need to be cleaned and other things cleaned on a rotating (if not every week) basis. Microwave, refidge, stove, under stove, bathtub area, behind toilet, under beds, dusting ceiling fans, window seals, windows, and on and on. And washing linens.

But I get it if they charge over $100 cleaning fee for a small unit. We just charge $50 but it always takes my wife 4-8 hours minimum every time.

To all the people saying they only look at the total. Are you saying the price per night listed doesn't affect you at all? You still look at ones priced $50 over your budget and then look at the total?
                IMO If someone wants to stay for $150 per night they don't even click on the $200 rental. This is why people have to include the cleaning fee. If they don't and have a higher daily rate they'll get far less people staying.

Comment

Originally posted by FCoDxDart View Post
                  I have no problem with a cleaning fee, but what irks me is when they charge the cleaning fee and then put in the notes, "make sure to put all towels in the tub/washing maching, take all the sheets off the bed and the pillow cases, vacuum the floor, and wash all dishes." Am I getting the cleaning fee lol?

Agreed. Its even more worthless if you have the mindset of leaving someplace better than you found it.

Don't leave anything in the sink or dishwasher.
                  Please make sure all the blinds are facing the same direction.
                  Leave no trash in any of the trashcans.
                  Use the vacuum for any spills.

The crews come in and make the beds & leave.

Comment

I was looking at vrbo this morning for a beach house. We've struck out on an all inclusive vacation so I thought we could spend a few day in Galveston. I clicked on one to book and after seeing the cleaning fee ($225), administrative fee ($50), and vrbo service fee ($308) I just backed right out.

Comment

Originally posted by CrownKiller14 View Post
                      Most charge what the maid service or turn over team charges. No mater how clean you leave it everything should be sanitized and wiped down. At higher end places there might be 2 people that come in behind you. A cleaner and turn over host that ensures the place is cleaned and everything in perfect order for the next guest.

The owner of the AirBNB normally is just trying to make money off the nightly rate. If the owner is cleaning they charge what they feel their time is worth. Yes its more expensive than a hotel, but their are some unique BnBs out there that are worth it.
                      AirBnB are only mathmatically "worth" if you have a 2-3 families, or a large family that would require multiple rooms at a hotel.

You nailed that part! We have 9 kids so getting we come out way ahead by going the AB&B route. With that said I prefer them over a hotel even if it is just a couple of us. More comfortable and from my experience substantially cleaner.

Comment

We have four cottages that we rent on Airbnb in Somerville and we have a $100 cleaning fee added to the stay because that is what the cleaning folks charge us to come out and clean. We currently have a good cleaning crew that is reliable, but we have had some tell us that they wont even come out if they are just cleaning one at a time.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. My business partner is convinced we should lower our nightly fee and add a cleaning fee. Still the same price but "looks" lower. I'm of the camp that rolling it into the nightly rate was the way to go. Looks like most of you guys agree with me. We shall see.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon B View Post
                            Thanks for the feedback. My business partner is convinced we should lower our nightly fee and add a cleaning fee. Still the same price but "looks" lower. I'm of the camp that rolling it into the nightly rate was the way to go. Looks like most of you guys agree with me. We shall see.
                            I can see what your partner means. When you use their website you can search by a price range based on the nightly fee. Lowering that will likely get your page more hits which in theory should lead to more bookings.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon B View Post

Guess that would work for someone who doesn’t pay attention. I don’t care what it says about nightly price, I’m going straight to “Total”. An if it’s way off
                              From nights x rate I figure out why.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by CEO View Post
                                I was looking at vrbo this morning for a beach house. We've struck out on an all inclusive vacation so I thought we could spend a few day in Galveston. I clicked on one to book and after seeing the cleaning fee ($225), administrative fee ($50), and vrbo service fee ($308) I just backed right out.

it is not the $ amount that bothers me. i have a set price in my mind that i want to pay. it is the way it is snuck in at the end. but if they priced the $400 a night rental at $938 (fees included) a night they probably would not get any takers.

maybe $938 the first night and $400 each additional night. but that would turn me off seeing the first number.

Comment

Working...
                                X