Storing Bulk Cottonseed ..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Storing Bulk Cottonseed ..

So how do ya'll store bulk cottonseed, away from other critters?

what "critters" are you trying to keep out of it?

Comment

In a corral pen under a tarp.

Comment

Originally posted by PYBUCK View Post
        That's how we did it when we were feeding it

Comment

Under a tarp

Comment

Put a tarp on top. Can get about 6500#’s.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by PYBUCK View Post
              This

Comment

I never have tarped.

Comment

We don't tarp it. We have a sheetmetal frame built out of old 4 foot sections or R-panel that is 16 feet square and 3 sided... The cottonseed truck backs up to it and dumps it on the ground... This bin is inside our camp compound and is fenced off from the cattle. Deer are free to come eat at will. The cottonseed if left under a tarp and it is a wet period, it will mildew quickly. If it is left uncovered, even when it rains on it, the oils in the cotton will form a top layer and it will only get wet about 1" down, but even then it does not easily mildew or mold... We've tried everything and this simple way seems to work best... We feed 30-40 tons a year on 5500 acres and it does not get wasted... Think about it, most folks feed cottonseed in a wire hoop that is exposed to the elements... no need to complicate things...

Comment

We didn’t tarp either. Built a big pen out of hog panels and put electric fence around top to keep cattle out. That was probably a waste of money. Deer kept jumping in and breaking the electric fence so we just turned it off. Cattle never bothered it and we are/were in middle of horrible drought. We switched to protein this year as there wasn’t a big enough difference in cost to justify the cotton seed anymore in our opinion. Who knows! We just need rain bad!

Comment

I just leave mine on the trailer, under cover until I need it.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                        We don't tarp it. We have a sheetmetal frame built out of old 4 foot sections or R-panel that is 16 feet square and 3 sided... The cottonseed truck backs up to it and dumps it on the ground... This bin is inside our camp compound and is fenced off from the cattle. Deer are free to come eat at will. The cottonseed if left under a tarp and it is a wet period, it will mildew quickly. If it is left uncovered, even when it rains on it, the oils in the cotton will form a top layer and it will only get wet about 1" down, but even then it does not easily mildew or mold... We've tried everything and this simple way seems to work best... We feed 30-40 tons a year on 5500 acres and it does not get wasted... Think about it, most folks feed cottonseed in a wire hoop that is exposed to the elements... no need to complicate things...
                        We tarped to keep it from blowing away.

Comment

I used to dump it on the ground inside of a pen to keep the Cattle out when it was under $200/ton. Now that it is quite a bit more, I keep it inside of a dump trailer under a parking cover - no waste. I can haul 5 tons at a time and go through 3 loads a year on 1000 acres.

Comment

No tarp needed, don’t rain anyway so no waste [emoji1787]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jason86 View Post

No tarp needed, don’t rain anyway so no waste [emoji1787]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              Word , ain’t seen rain , ours is in a pile near a barn

Comment

Working...
                              X