2022 Salty H20 Thread.... Let's go! Part 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 3chordtruth View Post
    nice fish, congratulations. Also, great fishing pics.
    thanks bud

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Kicking myself today. Put myself in the right place at the right time. I was grinding it out for the big bite. Caught a few small sand trout ( I've caught good speckled trout in areas with small sand trout historically) on small Mirodines. Switched over to some bigger lures to see if a big one was around. About 20 minutes in I set the hook on a really good one, got a good look and figured it in the 7lb range. She wasn't hooked very well and it was a short fight, saw the swirl and the line went slack. Only chance I had today. Oh well.

Comment

That’s what keeps us going back!

Sure hate to hear she got off.

Comment

Been a struggle for us this weekend in corpus. Saturday struggled to find any fish and it was cold family wasn’t digging them temp so I dropped them off at the condo and got everything unloaded. Sun poked out and I jumped in the boat and took off for the last hour and a half or so first spot started catching some fish best being a 17” trout just did t have enough daylight.

Sunday the temps brought us in early again before finding any fish family was miserable anytime we were running.

This wind and fog doesn’t have it looking good for this morning so we will probably chalk it up for a loss this trip and try again in a month

Comment

Originally posted by kevin nicholls View Post
              Kicking myself today. Put myself in the right place at the right time. I was grinding it out for the big bite. Caught a few small sand trout ( I've caught good speckled trout in areas with small sand trout historically) on small Mirodines. Switched over to some bigger lures to see if a big one was around. About 20 minutes in I set the hook on a really good one, got a good look and figured it in the 7lb range. She wasn't hooked very well and it was a short fight, saw the swirl and the line went slack. Only chance I had today. Oh well.
              That sucks!

Comment

I need to respool 5 or 6 reels. I generally go with Power Pro or Suffix braid in the 30-40 pound range. Am I missing something better? What color while I'm stirring the pot here? Half tempted to go back to 12lb trilene like its 1998
                Last edited by TexasBob; 02-21-2022, 08:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasBob View Post
                  I need to respool 5 or 6 reels. I generally go with Power Pro or Suffix braid in the 30-40 pound range. Am I missing something better? What color while I'm stirring the pot here? Half tempted to go back to 12lb trilene like its 1998
                  I always stuck with 12lb Berkley Big Game. Never tried to fix what wasn't broke.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasBob View Post
                    Go with Suffix 832 in 30 lb. I like the dark green. And then use a fluoro or mono leader, I use 20 lb. Trilene XL for my leader, knots work better for me with mono over fluoro.
                    Last edited by JES; 02-21-2022, 09:45 AM.

Comment

I like suffix over power pro.

Comment

Originally posted by JES View Post
                        Go with Suffix 832 in 30 lb. I like the dark green. And then use a fluoro or mono leader, I use 20 lb. Trilene XL for my leader, knots work better for me with mono over fluoro.
                        this

Comment

2022 Salty H20 Thread.... Let's go! Part 1

With deer season and my boat being in the shop, I haven’t been fishing since October. We’ve been messing around at the river, and my girl has been wearing fish out. Lots of black drum and magnum croaker. I will hit the ground running next month.

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
                            With deer season and my boat being in the shop, I haven’t been fishing since October. We’ve been messing around at the river, and my girl has been wearing fish out. Lots of black drum and magnum croaker. I will hit the ground running next month.

That’s awesome, good stuff, thanks for sharing.

Comment

Nice on the kids catchin, we have those species up here in Chesapeake and both good eats too. Call the croaker "hardhead" for some reason and a great fish for kids will hook them selves on any bait, squid, shrimp, bloodworms, peeler crab, cut bait, chicken and even fish bites. They put up a good fight too for a small fish we always said if they grew 50 pounds you'ld never get them in the boat. Grandkids off the dock coming soon up here with blue cats and white perch as soon as quits making ice at nite.

Comment

Originally posted by MdStrutnRut View Post
                                Nice on the kids catchin, we have those species up here in Chesapeake and both good eats too. Call the croaker "hardhead" for some reason and a great fish for kids will hook them selves on any bait, squid, shrimp, bloodworms, peeler crab, cut bait, chicken and even fish bites. They put up a good fight too for a small fish we always said if they grew 50 pounds you'ld never get them in the boat. Grandkids off the dock coming soon up here with blue cats and white perch as soon as quits making ice at nite.
                                That is how I got my daughter introduced to fishing. The croaker almost always cooperate. I spent a year working in Yorktown, VA and fished the Chesapeake a bunch. Great fishery.

Comment

Working...
                                X