2022 Salty H20 Thread.... Let's go! Part 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by twright View Post
    Looking forward to more time on the water this year. A little bitter/sweet for the upcoming year. My best fishing buddy (youngest son) graduated from college. He told me, "Dad I guess I need to find a job" (even though he worked full time while going to college full time). I told him don't get a "job" make what your passionate about your living. He responded my passion is "salt water, boats, and fishing". I told him that is a big industry for a business major starting out....

He is now employed full time on salary for one of the best private offshore boats in the gulf. He will now spend his time maintaining the boat and fishing offshore tournaments throughout the year. I am proud and excited for him, but will sure miss fishing with him most every weekend in LM and Baffin.

It is funny how life goes. I taught him to fish in the beginning, now he teaches me more about fishing than I could ever imagine. Gonna miss my regular fishing buddy.

Hope all have a great 2022 on the water and I hope to meet and fish with some you one day.
    Congrats to your Son & Good Luck to him!

Comment

Looking forward to more time on the water this year. A little bitter/sweet for the upcoming year. My best fishing buddy (youngest son) graduated from college. He told me, "Dad I guess I need to find a job" (even though he worked full time while going to college full time). I told him don't get a "job" make what your passionate about your living. He responded my passion is "salt water, boats, and fishing". I told him that is a big industry for a business major starting out....

He is now employed full time on salary for one of the best private offshore boats in the gulf. He will now spend his time maintaining the boat and fishing offshore tournaments throughout the year. I am proud and excited for him, but will sure miss fishing with him most every weekend in LM and Baffin.

It is funny how life goes. I taught him to fish in the beginning, now he teaches me more about fishing than I could ever imagine. Gonna miss my regular fishing buddy.

Hope all have a great 2022 on the water and I hope to meet and fish with some you one day.
      Very cool, good luck to you and your son.

Comment

Hammer- your not retired you are now going fishing to be able to eat- That’s what I say daily. You will love it.

Comment

Originally posted by hammer63 View Post
          I have recently become retired and am very much looking forward to doing some fishing in the salt. I gave myself a retirement gift - a $25000 repower and such on my 1996 22' Predator. Getting a 200 Suzuki, Bob's jack plate, trolling motor, Garmin GPS, battery tender, batteries and all new tires on the trailer. The rig should be good to go! Have the RV parked in Matagorda right next to a boat ramp. I'm excited to say the least.
          Now that's the life! I'm jelly!

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Comment

I have recently become retired and am very much looking forward to doing some fishing in the salt. I gave myself a retirement gift - a $25000 repower and such on my 1996 22' Predator. Getting a 200 Suzuki, Bob's jack plate, trolling motor, Garmin GPS, battery tender, batteries and all new tires on the trailer. The rig should be good to go! Have the RV parked in Matagorda right next to a boat ramp. I'm excited to say the least.
            Congratulations on retirement!

Comment

I sold my SCB in November so I'm boatless for the first time in years. Luckily, I have lots of friends with boats so I'm sure there will be plenty of fishing this year. I also have a trip booked with Wayne Davis in Port Mansfield next weekend hoping to catch my PB trout.

Comment

Good for him! Congrats!

Comment

Originally posted by GARY View Post
                  My last trip (yesterday) of year wasn’t salt, but close enough to coast to count !

Me and my best buddy Kelly (aironeout), childhood friends , all star baseball team, junior golfers , state champs , college roommates , weddings , kids, kind of friend.

Anyway we got Covid for the day and chose to chase crappie on coleto instead of trout and reds.

Kelly has mastered his electronics and spot lock trolling motors and sinking offshore brush piles into a true art. 100% articials on lakes folks say are fished out / don’t have fish.

21 keepers and only 1 throw back. These were some fat girls slabs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dang genius right here!

Comment

Sounds like it Hammer time!

Comment

I just went down a YouTube rabbit hole- how do you guys kill a fish? I see bats, spikes and just tossing them into the cooler. What did we ever do before the internet made us question everything lol?

Comment

I watched a YouTube video on doing an aoudad euro mount….i had to turn it off when the kids making the video didn’t know how to llight the burner for the pot.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasBob View Post
                          I just went down a YouTube rabbit hole- how do you guys kill a fish? I see bats, spikes and just tossing them into the cooler. What did we ever do before the internet made us question everything lol?
                          If you talking about freshwater and inshore game fish....I toss them in the cooler. If you are talking about larger offshore fish or sharks...they get hit over head or tail slit. If you found a video of someone beating a flounder over the head with a bat...please post link

Comment

I haven't put my boat in the water in months. After having twins in oct my extra curricular activities have been non existent. I couldn't find what I was after in my normal winter holes, but did fool one decent fish.

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW using Tapatalk

Comment

Fished 1/4 and 1/5

First day I woke up to horrible fog and decided I’d wait for the fog to lift. Well, got out the house to blue bird skies and a light wind.

Got to the area I was going to fish, water was nice and green, much colder than it has been last few weeks. Fishing a gut that was draining. Water was ruching through there faster than I’ve ever seen. Got my but handed to me. Caught 1 trout about 18” and 1 flounder about 16”. Released both.

[ame="https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XpDyJUbU7zs"]Tough day in Matagorda Bay - YouTube[/ame]

Fished with my dad and baby sister near Galveston. Not an area I would fish if I had gone alone. Dad is 63 and isn’t able to wade a soft bottom. Back, and knee issues. So we fished a sand flat with a ditch and bowl in the area. Fished hard from daylight till 1030. I lost a flounder, and so did my little sister.

Went and had lunch at Niko’s on the way back home. Hit up an old spot I used to fish when I was in middle and high school. I missed a bite. Dad lost a fish. Sister caught a rat red about 16”. She was stoked.

Comment

Water temps dropped over 10’degrees in Rockport this week. I’ve fished twice. Caught a total of 4 fish and all 4 were dinks- 3 trout one flounder. Gotta let the fish get use to it I guess. No more wet wading I guess. I hate waders. May just drift and power pole fish this Winter. Gotta change gears and slow down

Comment

Working...
                                X