2019 Austin/Fayette/Washington Counties Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TxDispatcher View Post
    My son and wife are both itching to take out coyotes and bobcats...so if one pops out, they’re goners

I used to get them on camera often but havent the last two years. Guess theyre getting a bit more sneaky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Downward trend because of social media? Get real. I think this thread is great. Let’s me know what others are seeing. Makes me feel better when I’m not seeing anything and others are in the same boat. Celebrate each other’s successes. There is nothing wrong with sharing each other’s experiences and observations. And it’s certainly not negatively impacting the deer herd. Drought, natural predators, speeding cars, and UFOs have more impact. And Sasquatch.

Comment

Doe days around where I am is going to drastically hurt the population I’m afraid. The part I don’t understand is if a landowner had an over population of does why not apply for co-op doe tags? Why let the ratio get so far out of hand and not do anything about it.

Comment

Because people are afraid to shoot does! If they get tags through the co-op they don't shoot them all. State average is 40% of issuance. If people shot their mld tags we wouldn't need doe days.

Comment

Originally posted by BURTONboy View Post
            I used to get them on camera often but havent the last two years. Guess theyre getting a bit more sneaky.

I have videos of coyotes morning, mid day, evening, and at night...my son and I saw one on youth weekend, but he was waiting on a shot for his buck and wasn’t about to mess that up but they’re his prime target now and my wife is of the opinion that she will kill them no matter if her target buck is standing there waiting for her. She hates them more than I do

Comment

Originally posted by Stuck View Post
              Not sure social media has the area on a downward trend as much as ranches being sold off in 20/40 acre tracts and a feeder being put on every place with non selective hunters. Although not a fan of pics being posted. People have no idea how easy it is to figure out where a deer was killed or worse assume where it was killed. You kill a big deer this year and pull the “look at me” crap every non hunted 10acres around you will have 2 stands on it next year. Small acreage and bragging don’t mix.

As for the doe season I have mixed feelings. If I don’t find a buck to shoot I can now kill a couple of does for sausage instead of killing a “cull” 3yr old (have a couple of places with probably too many does). But I also saw areas shot out when we had end of season doe season a couple of decades ago. Early season and only 4 days I’m hopeful we don’t see the same thing we did as before.

The area has also changed in what is being killed. I sit in the same stand every year opening morning since I was 10. Back then opening morning I would hear around 20 shots being fired, and this was before we had hogs in the area. Now 1 maybe 2 shots on opening morning, this year I heard 3, and 2 of those were my dad shooting hogs. In the end it’s greatly improved from my youth but still difficult watching a young 130 class deer disappear at some point during season. All I can do is feed them and hope a few decent deer make it to next year and make a big jump.
              I agree with most of the things you said, but social media does have something to do with it like it like it or not. I like you have been here the entire time. Seen the best of it, and have seen the worst. It will never be better than it was 5-6 years after AR’s went in. All of a sudden I went to having zero neighbors that hunted to having a stand on every corner over the course of a few years.

You’re 100% right about the subdividing of land, now EVERYONE knows someone with some small tract of land, and most of those get hunted. This is probably the number 1a reason for the trend.

We haven’t shot spikes in many of years, and I have yet to see a 5 year old deer that didn’t break 13”. Yes, we killed several that we taped as soon as we could, and we always had 3/4” plus to spare.

You have also never seen me post a pic of a deer on social media or TBH. There is a reason for that. My neighbors that are like minded know what we have and what we shoot, and that is about it. Most of these are local that saw what I did, very few new people are like minded.

Good luck and do the right thing to all. Just remember, you will never kill a 140 if you shoot every 130 you see. Let em get old, and shut up about them when they do.
              Last edited by Hockley; 11-12-2019, 11:14 PM.

Comment

Went and Filled Feeders Yesterday Before Heading Back to work. Pulled 2 cards and Finally seen Some New Mature Bucking Moving around. If you don't Have one Tied down It could Start Heating Up a little Finally. Good Luck Every and Be safe

Comment

My wife and kids stopped on 36 just outside of Sealy yesterday afternoon as a nice buck walked across the highway.

Comment

Originally posted by Speck View Post
                    My wife and kids stopped on 36 just outside of Sealy yesterday afternoon as a nice buck walked across the highway.

Its pretty on in Austin county right now. Ive seen plenty new bucks show up and a ton of rutting activities. Had a young 10 making a scrape Sunday morning and flingin mud 10’ behind while he did it. He was all kinds of fired up.

Comment

My father-in-law's family is having their Thanksgiving at the farm this weekend...my wife said "I don't know if I'll hunt on Saturday morning, I really need to be up and cooking" I'm gonna do my best to change her mind, I'll help her cook after we hunt...this is the prime time to be sitting and waiting for one of the old fellas to cruise thru. If she doesn't, I'll just sit and see what she misses so that I can tell her about it and make her regret not listening to me

Comment

a Friday morning sit is calling my name.

Comment

Shot 8 does this morning. Zero rutting activity so far, north Washington cty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TxDispatcher View Post
                            My father-in-law's family is having their Thanksgiving at the farm this weekend...my wife said "I don't know if I'll hunt on Saturday morning, I really need to be up and cooking" I'm gonna do my best to change her mind, I'll help her cook after we hunt...this is the prime time to be sitting and waiting for one of the old fellas to cruise thru. If she doesn't, I'll just sit and see what she misses so that I can tell her about it and make her regret not listening to me

Good luck with that!

Comment

Originally posted by Hockley View Post
                              I agree, the whole area has been on a downward trend because of social media and threads like this. I also agree that the spike rule needs to be done away with.

And don't even get me started on allowing does to be shot over Thanksgiving with a rifle...
                              But yet you post on this thread...

... I don't get it.

Comment

Originally posted by JMKro View Post
                                But yet you post on this thread...

... I don't get it.
                                Unfortunately, one day you probably will.

Comment

Working...
                                X