No announcement yet.

Yearly income to hunt hill country

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We worked to hard to pay off debt. I’m on a 2800 acre lease in Kimble County. Amazing how much freedom you have to enjoy life when debt is paid down!

Comment

The number one thing in paying for a Hill Country lease is, justification. If you can justify it, you will find a way to pay it. I have hunted the Hill Country and love it, but I cannot justify 4Grand for a Hill Country lease.

Comment

I'm a public servant as well and I have had the same lease since 1990. I got lucky and am now considered family. I hunt just west of Austin and it cost me 1850 per year. I know it's really hard these days to find a lease where people actually like to hunt, dont require 2k in feed.and make you ask permission to kill a particular deer but they are out there.....somewhere.....best of luck

Comment

Some very good advise, and some not so good-rude advise.
          When you make 40k a year it's hard to justify 3k to 4k a year.
          And I said that hunting (used to be about feeding the family) not I hunt to feed my family. I appreciate the advise and comments. I'll keep on keeping on and I will eventually have a lease where I want it. And your right tps7742 there are some really good places around here and Im fortunate enough to hunt a couple of place in really good areas. It's more about a change of scenery more that anything. And thanks mmlreiner I will PM you.

Comment

Originally posted by limbratgod333 View Post
            And I said that hunting (used to be about feeding the family) not I hunt to feed my family. I appreciate the advise and comments. I'll keep on keeping on and I will eventually have a lease where I want it. And your right tps7742 there are some really good places around here and Im fortunate enough to hunt a couple of place in really good areas. It's more about a change of scenery more that anything. And thanks mmlreiner I will PM you.
            Good plan! One other thing you might try. Put in for some of the draw hunts if you dont already. I've only done them the last 2 years but already had 2 opportunities to hunt the hills and had a great time. It's not a lease but will you'll get to see some new dirt. Been years since I had a place in the hill country but it sure was fun to go back!

Great offer from mmlreiner, definitely good people!!!! I hope you end up finding what your looking for!

Comment

Thanks doug yes I used to put in for hunts when I was younger. And have been drawn several times in good places, never the hill country because we always put in for high probability places put still a great time.
              I plan on putting in for some next year. Thanks for the encouragement.

Comment

I went whole hog and actually bought a hill country place. it costs 3X as much as a lease but it's mine and I have equity in it. I've been blessed to make enough money to finance the land, buy a new 3 bdr singlewide to put on it so the wife and kids are there as much as me. I budget well and don't buy new toys, I get used ones and pay cash. on the land payments I'm in for a minimum of $8,400/year but usually pay twice that on the principal.

Comment

Originally posted by mmlreiner View Post
                  Tough crowd. OP I understand how you feel and on the other end of things, I just had two of my closest friends have to back out of their obligations on one of my ranches in the hill country due to finances. I had been footing the bill for some time and had to call each of them and have the hard talk about “needs vs wants”. A lease is a luxury and not a need. If you want to come hunt with me a few times this year pm me, maybe we can work something out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                  Tough crowd indeed. Op I get what your saying. Good luck, hope you get that Hill Country lease one day soon.

Comment

Originally posted by limbratgod333 View Post
                    I totally understand wanting a change of scenery as stated. After living in the Houston area for 34 years plus it’s good to be back in the piney woods. We have a good healthy deer population and I foresee it to only get better imo. Good luck on your future lease find,

Comment

Working...
                    X