Rabbit population must be low.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rabbit population must be low.

I saw something last night I've never seen before. Saw a coyote running down the ditch with a skunk in its mouth. It cut across the road in front of me and my buddy and dropped it in the road. Drove probably another 6 miles and believe it or not a skunk and a coyote couldn't have been more than 20 feet apart. We went and grabbed some food and headed back home. Saw 8 skunks not including another dead one on the road. On my way back home that dead skunk in the road was gone.

I can't hardly think coyotes are seeking out and killin skunks to eat but it sure does seem that way. I know for a fact the first coyote we saw planned on eating one. Maybe the second coyote close to the skunk was a coincidence but I have my doubts. I'm thinking there's plenty of skunks and not enough rabbits to go around.

They eat them here for sure and skunks make great bait for coyote traps

Comment

Skunk is fine table fare for coyotes. I think gross smells are a prerequisite for predators, they like goats and sheep, consume plenty of gutshot hogs, and I'm sure it's easy to find these sources for them. They are like us...we will settle for an easy meal even if its gross. Aka...gas station burritos, long john silvers, McDonalds, Ramen noodles.

Comment

I'll be dang I didn't think anything would fool with a skunk. I betcha they get a wicked case of the drizzlins after they eat one of those nasty suckers.

Comment

Coyotes will eat just about anything, skunks are plentiful and easy meals.

Comment

They definitely eat em. Sure hard on my dating life in hight school after skinning those coyotes that have been dining on skunks!

Comment

I guess about the only thing they won't eat is their own.

Comment

Learn something everday on TBH

Comment

Crazy!

Comment

Originally posted by N.DaWoods View Post
                    Skunk is fine table fare for coyotes. I think gross smells are a prerequisite for predators, they like goats and sheep, consume plenty of gutshot hogs, and I'm sure it's easy to find these sources for them. They are like us...we will settle for an easy meal even if its gross. Aka...gas station burritos, long john silvers, McDonalds, Ramen noodles.
                    Hold up, ramen noodles gross? You take that back!

Comment

A yote won't pass a meal. They never know when they will get another.

Comment

I've shot one that smelled like skunk before but I figured he'd just ran across one and got sprayed. We drove about 40 miles last night and saw 12 skunks and 3 coyotes. Two coyotes seemed to be hungry for skunk. The other one was running across the highway. I think we saw maybe two jackrabbits. That's why I'm thinking they're resorting to skunks for food. There's a crap ton of those it seems like.

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
                          I've shot one that smelled like skunk before but I figured he'd just ran across one and got sprayed. We drove about 40 miles last night and saw 12 skunks and 3 coyotes. Two coyotes seemed to be hungry for skunk. The other one was running across the highway. I think we saw maybe two jackrabbits. That's why I'm thinking they're resorting to skunks for food. There's a crap ton of those it seems like.
                          I said we saw 8 when I started this thread but my buddy corrected me earlier. Apparently there was 12 but I wasn't exactly counting the ones that were smashed flat in the road because I don't think those were necessarily hit on the road last night. Either way you get the point. We have a bit of a skunk problem.

Comment

Never seen one eat another coyote but they will eat a dog in a heartbeat!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BDKeeling View Post
                              Never seen one eat another coyote but they will eat a dog in a heartbeat!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              I've left coyotes with mange out in the field and they layed out there until they were nothing but bones. They're weird about what they will and won't eat that's for sure. Apparently a lot weirder than I thought. The only thing I've heard of eating a skunk is a Great Horned Owl. What's crazy is I've drove past the same dead skunks on the road for weeks on my way to work and I can't say I've ever even seen a buzzard eating a dead skunk.

Comment

Working...
                              X