Yearly income to hunt hill country

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yearly income to hunt hill country

I've been hunting east Tx for about 25yrs and I love it.
    Made some life long friends and memories. My dad had a lease in Kimble county for about 15 to 17 yrs and lost it in the early to mid 80s when I was still to young to hunt but was old enough to remember the place and love it.
    It's been my dream to have a lease in that area again but have never been able to afford it and live.
    I got pretty close to it a couple of years ago on a place about 40 mile from my dad and uncles place but it fell through.
    So my question is how much money does a person have to make in order to hunt the hill country and still afford to live?
    I'm not going to say what I do for a living but I'm a public servant. Is it possible for me to afford a lease in the hill country or will it always be a dream? Just curious on what ya'll guys think.

I don't think it has much to do with yearly income, per se. It depends on how you budget and where you and your family feel comfortable making sacrifices in able to make it work. I currently am not in a financial situation to be able to afford a hill country lease either. I am also a public servant. But, my wife is a budget maniac and we do okay. I will have a hill country lease, one day. Maybe not this year, next year, or the next 3 years.. but one day..

Comment

There’s not a set salary number that can answer your question.

How I spend a $100k a year salary is probably different than the next guy, or a $50k salary.

It all depends on what level of “living” you want to do outside the hill country lease.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

How you manage the money you aren’t using on the lease is more of a determining factor of if you will ever afford a hill country lease. I know plenty of folks that make 6 figures and couldn’t afford it, and I also know a few who make half of that and could.

Comment

Originally posted by Codie View Post
          How you manage the money you aren’t using on the lease is more of a determining factor of if you will ever afford a hill country lease. I know plenty of folks that make 6 figures and couldn’t afford it, and I also know a few who make half of that and could.
          Bingeaux!!! Debt can be a dream killer....period. I marvel at some of the consumer items folks purchase. It is all relative when it comes to finances. Bowhunting is a priority for me thus I consciously make decisions throughout the year that will not impede opportunities.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Start a hill country hunting account. Then get out there and earn some extra money to fund that account. It worked for me as a young pup. I’d have it funded and be hunting the hill country next year.

Comment

A lease is about $3000. Budget $300 a month and you’ll be good.

Comment

I’m a teacher, my wife’s a nurse. We hunt the hill country. Would Dave Ramsey approve? Prolly not but life is short and hunting as well as making sure our kids grow up hunting is more than just a hobby it’s a lifestyle. Our bills are paid every month and kids are taken care of so why not

Comment

I am fortunate and blessed enough to not have to worry about the cost to much but some of the guys on my lease are not and do have to budget. They say that having a landowner that is willing to split the lease payment up into 3 installments (if needed) has helped them tremendously
                  It seems that smallish payments make parting with the money an easier pill to swallow for them

Comment

Originally posted by Codie View Post
                    This! I'm retired so now my situation is a little different. When I was working I always had 2 separate bank accounts. One was "real money" meaning my county check that went for Bill's and regular living life stuff. The other was the extra job account that paid for deer leases, vacations, toys, or whatever "extravagances" I could save enough for. It was a lot easier to do another 6 or 8 hours after the regular job when you know it's for something good. Might not work for everybody or be the smart thing but it worked for us!

Comment

Originally posted by limbratgod333 View Post
                      I've been hunting east Tx for about 25yrs and I love it.
                      Made some life long friends and memories. My dad had a lease in Kimble county for about 15 to 17 yrs and lost it in the early to mid 80s when I was still to young to hunt but was old enough to remember the place and love it.
                      It's been my dream to have a lease in that area again but have never been able to afford it and live.
                      I got pretty close to it a couple of years ago on a place about 40 mile from my dad and uncles place but it fell through.
                      So my question is how much money does a person have to make in order to hunt the hill country and still afford to live?
                      I'm not going to say what I do for a living but I'm a public servant. Is it possible for me to afford a lease in the hill country or will it always be a dream? Just curious on what ya'll guys think.
                      This East Texas boy has hunted the hill country for almost 4 decades. I would say not a dime over 10% of your net {bring home} dollars.
                      Around 4K is the norm these days I think so you need to bring home at least 40K a year. Crunching numbers I was at 7% most of the years I paid for a lease.
                      The wife and I looked at it as a hotel and dinners one weekend every month in Galveston or New Orleans. Around $400.00 a month. We loved spending a weekend at the lease instead of Galveston. {same price}
                      Good luck to you................

Comment

I understand the budgeting of it. And yes I guess your right, I work my standard 40hr week then two regular side jobs. I've never been the guy that can go out and buy a new sxs or 4 wheeler. I've always have bought cheap and worked on and fixed up good enough to use. I also understand that in the area I live in right now the salary for what I do is sad.
                        Your right hully1029 I will have a hill country lease one day, might be down the road but it will happen.
                        I'm fortunate to be a ke ro hunt and am thankful for that. I'm taking my oldest on his first sit this week after he gets out of school. I have as my own lease that I paid for sense I was old enough not to.hunt under my dad 18yrs old that we lost a few years ago in Anderson County.
                        But it seems that hunting is becoming a rich man's sport and a statis symbol and less about feeding the family.
                        It just seems that if your not a Dr or a lawyer you can afford to hunt the rocks and cactus anymore.

Comment

It’s a lot easier when your spouse is on board with saving for and spending money on hunting also.

Comment

I’m a teacher, my wife’s a nurse. We hunt the hill country. Would Dave Ramsey approve? Prolly not but life is short and hunting as well as making sure our kids grow up hunting is more than just a hobby it’s a lifestyle. Our bills are paid every month and kids are taken care of so why not

Comment

I understand what you are saying, and lived it myself for a long time. I went about 10yrs without a lease at all. When you make a certain amount there is no way to save. There is nothing to save. Every single bit goes to bills, any extra goes to replace the tires that are way over worn or whatever just trying to keep up. Thankfully I havent been in that situation in 10+yrs but I remember it real well....

One thing to remember if there is just no way to budget it in, is that your financial situation should change as you get older, nothing is forever and you may have to suffer without it now to put yourself in a position to be able to afford it later.

Comment

Working...
                              X