Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Graysonhogs View Post
    Never understood this.
    I think its for fleas/ticks. Sometimes they'll have so many that its not worth the hassle. First freeze kills them off. Parasites are year round.

Comment

Originally posted by chunkinlead View Post
      I have tried it, once.
      How was it cooked? Never tried it myself.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackHogDown View Post
        I think its for fleas/ticks. Sometimes they'll have so many that its not worth the hassle. First freeze kills them off. Parasites are year round.
        Make sense.

Comment

I have killed a few that have had a parasite under the skin. Its a black grub that can be about as big as your thumb. Its pretty gross.

Comment

It’s the grubs that get under their hides. If you kill a rabbit that doesn’t have them, you’re good. I killed bunches as a kid and never found a grub in one, and we ate them all. Anything you can do with chicken you can do with rabbit. Really, the grubs are not in the meat and cooking thoroughly will render the meat ok. It just isn’t very inviting to the appetite !

Comment

Originally posted by TB80 View Post
              Anyone ever eaten jacks?
              I've fried it and it was good.

Comment

Originally posted by TB80 View Post
                Anyone ever eaten jacks?
                Originally posted by chunkinlead View Post
                I have tried it, once.
                I tried it once also.... Never again! I even shot 4-5 just to pick out a young one that looked good.

If anyone doesn't believe me be sure and remind me if they ever visit the ranch. We will go shoot one after dark and I'll cook it up for you.

Comment

1 or 2 good freezes will kill the wolves (Bot fly larva) that live under the skin.

Comment

Originally posted by Grizz83 View Post
                    Sardinian hare stew for jacks. Cotton tail is plenty good chicken fried.

https://honest-food.net/hare-stew-hard-times/

And other recipes.

https://honest-food.net/wild-game/ra...irrel-recipes/
                    I've been looking for a jack ever since I read that Sardinian Hare Stew recipe, and now of course I can't find one.

Comment

Swamp rabbits and cotton tails are awesome to eat. We cook them smothered in a gravy over rice, in a gumbo and when folks kill a lot of them in the marsh they de bone them and make sausage mixed with some pork fat. The reason they say wait until after a freeze to eat them is the same reason they say it about squirrels. They sometimes have wolves aka bot fly larva in the neck area. It doesn't affect the meat at all and they don't all have it but some people don't like the look of it and wont consume them if they have this.

Comment

Well there you go... Interesting.

Comment

A freeze has nothing to do with the wolves (bot fly larva) disappearing. It takes a certain amount of time for the larva to complete their cycle and leave their host. You can find these wolves in squirrels as well as rabbits.

Comment

Originally posted by hog_down View Post
                            I've always been told to wait til after a good freeze
                            Wives tale. Temp outside has nothing to do with internal parasites.
                            Temp outside doesnt matter much compared to temp on the body for external parasites either. If the bunny is warm, so are the fleas.

Originally posted by Grizz83 View Post
                            Sardinian hare stew for jacks. Cotton tail is plenty good chicken fried.

https://honest-food.net/hare-stew-hard-times/

And other recipes.

https://honest-food.net/wild-game/ra...irrel-recipes/
                            Sardinian hare stew is awesome

Comment

Both are delicious!

The don't eat them until after a freeze thing is a myth, they can carry intestinal worms but so can all mammals.

Worst thing you can get from a rabbit is tuleremia, but with proper handling it's a non issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Phillip Fields View Post
                                A freeze has nothing to do with the wolves (bot fly larva) disappearing. It takes a certain amount of time for the larva to complete their cycle and leave their host. You can find these wolves in squirrels as well as rabbits.
                                Or in a deer's nose... ugh.. I'd want someone to shoot me if I had those living in me!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X