No announcement yet.

Southeast Iowa Live..Come along for the season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I rattled at 7:30am with no response. I rattled again at 8:30. After about 10 minutes this little 8 point came sneaking in. He hung around under my tree for about 15 minutes looking for the fight. I have never seen this little buck before.Its amazing how they know almost exactly where the sound is coming from.

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by SFAbowhunter View Post
      Good luck! Hope a big one comes out to check on his ladies! It's about that time!
      Thanks!!!

Congratulations on your outstanding Hagerman buck!!!

Hunting up here is like hunting Hagerman. Lots of hiking, climbing trees, and you never know where the deer will appear. Then you got to hope the deer will stop or you can stop him in one of your shooting lanes and make the shot.

I feel like I am hunting Hagerman every day although the terrain up here is a lot rougher .

Comment

[quote=Ray McGaughey;14486459]So - Is Iowa a one buck state ? Or are you allowed multiple bucks with different equipment ? A buddy of mine is hunting NW Oklahoma. He says he can kill a buck with archery, rifle and muzzleloader. BUT - he has to buy a separate license for each season.

If you draw a non resident tag you can shoot a buck and a doe. You can only hunt one of the seasons. In other words if you choose archery season you get one buck and one doe. If you choose one of the two shotgun seasons you one buck and one doe. If you choose one of the muzzle loader seasons you get one buck and one doe.

As a resident I can kill 3 bucks and almost unlimited does. I can kill a buck on my farm tag on my property. I get 4 farm tags. One buck and three anterless. I can kill a buck with my state wide tag, and I can kill a buck in one of the firearm (shotgun or muzzleloader) seasons but I must choose which season.

I have to buy a hunting license and then tags for each season and tags for extra does. My state wide either sex tag is $33.00. My first antlerless tag is $28.50. Additional antlerless tags are $15.00 each. My first two farm tags are $2.00 each. My second two farm tags are $15.00 each. When a counties anterless quota runs out no more extra doe tags are sold.

Also in the shotgun seasons certain straight wall rifle cartridges are legal. For example...45-70, .450 Bushmaster, .444 Marlin.

Every state has different rules and regs. It has taken me a while to figure out the Iowa regs. Not sure I have them completely figured out yet.[emoji846]

Last edited by Arrowsmith; 11-05-2019, 11:32 AM.

Comment

Good luck.... Thanks for letting us tag along

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowsmith View Post
            Thanks!!!

Congratulations on your outstanding Hagerman buck!!!

Hunting up here is like hunting Hagerman. Lots of hiking, climbing trees, and you never know where the deer will appear. Then you got to hope the deer will stop or you can stop him in one of your shooting lanes and make the shot.

I feel like I am hunting Hagerman every day although the terrain up here is a lot rougher .

Thank you! Sounds amazing up there! Hagerman is a special place!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Good luck and stay after em Mike!

Comment

Good luck getting one of those Iowa giants will be checking in on this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowsmith View Post
                  I rattled at 7:30am with no response. I rattled again at 8:30. After about 10 minutes this little 8 point came sneaking in. He hung around under my tree for about 15 minutes looking for the fight. I have never seen this little buck before.Its amazing how they know almost exactly where the sound is coming from.

Good lord! That pic looks like your 50ft up a tree!

Comment

Originally posted by Dakota7493 View Post
                    Good lord! That pic looks like your 50ft up a tree!
                    I am only around 15' high at that stand. Four rapid rails in a Black Walnut tree. I take a picture of the stand next time I hunt there and post it.

Comment

Are all these stand locations on your land or are you allowed to hunt anywhere you want like Colorado?

Comment

Good luck,Mike! What hunting app is that you are using? I have four different apps but that one doesn't look familiar.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldeneagle View Post
                          Good luck and stay after em Mike!
                          I will Randy. Its pretty much what I am going to be doing for the next couple of months other than chores around here and what ever Tracy has for me to do.

Originally posted by Hoss163 View Post
                          Good luck getting one of those Iowa giants will be checking in on this thread.
                          I will tell you it is a lot tougher than most people think. What you see on TV about Iowa is hyped. Are there huge bucks here in Iowa. Yes !! I have 4 or 5 on cameras that are all within sight of our house. Are they hard to locate and kill. Yes !!!

A lot of the locals I have met up here eat tag soup a lot more than you would expect.

I have kept a journal of all my sits. To give you an idea.....in 24 sits I have seen 16 bucks and 22 does. Six of the bucks I could have easily shot assuming I could have got drawn on them. All were within 20 yards and 5 were within 12 yards. They were all young 8 points. I have posted pictures of some of them. The only buck that I wanted to shoot was a massive main frame 10 on the evening of October 23. I had him at 23 yards but no shot.

Every time I go out I am excited and have confidence that I am going to shoot a mature buck.

Comment

Originally posted by BitBackShot View Post
                            Are all these stand locations on your land or are you allowed to hunt anywhere you want like Colorado?
                            Three of the stands that I have been hunting are on our place. One is across the road on my neighbors ground. I have two other stands about 3/4 mile up the river that is on my other neighbors place. I have not hunted them because he is clearing some timber in the area right now. There is a big (6700 acres) Iowa DNR public area about 10 miles from our place. I have scouted over there and its awesome but so far I have not hunted over there.

Comment

Following along. Nice thread

Comment

Originally posted by AlaskaFlyerFan View Post
                                Good luck,Mike! What hunting app is that you are using? I have four different apps but that one doesn't look familiar.
                                Thanks !!!

The app is Huntstand

A powerful hunting app with mapping, property boundaries, satellite imagery and valuable tools for hunters. Download now for iOS and Android.

Comment

Working...
                                X