X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Excellent video Rusty!!

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
      I am still a big fan of joint vetch. I think its one of the best summer deer foods out there. I generally mix it 50/50---10lbs each with Alyce clover. The growth and maintenance habits are very similar and stands can usually be maintained for several years. Can be compatible with small grains and crimson also as the crimson plays out before the vetch starts sprouting. I just lightly scratch the soil early May to get seed soil contact with the seed bank and it readily comes back.

Vetch is slow to germinate and start in the summer but as weather gets warm it will grow till frost. Purely anecdotal but several of our very best bucks could be seen almost daily in vetch fields . I plant some every year.
      Thank you for keeping this thread going.

Can vetch/clover be rotated with a fall annual plot? Vetch is expensive and I am curious if it will come back the following spring/early summer if you terminate it in September to plant your fall crop?

Comment

My vetch comes back every year. It is waist high in spots right now.

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
          My vetch comes back every year. It is waist high in spots right now.
          Thats impressive! My vetch is just starting to germinate.

Yes, I have kept vetch going for years by letting it go to seed in the fall then light scratching the dirt in the spring or simply running the drill over the field to get soil seed contact . I don't do anything with it in Sept. but if I wanted to establish small grains or something like crimson that would be finished by the time the vetch starts germinating in the spring, I would just broadcast right thru the standing vetch knowing it gets killed with first frost.

Comment

I've noticed that video on regenerative farming gets a very limited audience whereas video of deer does much better. Here is a clip from Mexico

Comment

If I was a gambling man I’d bet most of your audience for regenerative farming are landowners and in the minority when it comes to YouTube lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Just went down a 30 min farming rabbit hole from your videos. Pretty interesting stuff. Going to ask the wife if I can buy a goat and keep it in the backyard and maybe even rent it out to the neighbors 😂

Comment

Man, what a broke ole middle class blue collar guy would do to hunt bucks like in your videos!

Impressive as always!

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
                    I've noticed that video on regenerative farming gets a very limited audience whereas video of deer does much better. Here is a clip from Mexico

https://youtu.be/Z8X9QgMW2mM
                    Wow as always! Do you think hook makes it another year? He looks to have really gone down from last year? Amazing and thx for sharing. Btw, I wouldn't dare miss any of you videos. I love all of them, but I do wish you would make them higher resolution. [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Sticks&Strings View Post
                      Wow as always! Do you think hook makes it another year? He looks to have really gone down from last year? Amazing and thx for sharing. Btw, I wouldn't dare miss any of you videos. I love all of them, but I do wish you would make them higher resolution. [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
                      I wish I knew how to make them higher resolution. They are filmed with hi quality cameras but when transferred to YouTube I haven't figured out how to enhance.

Sorry to report hook is no more. He was down to skin and bones .

Comment

What is the story with Hook? I saw you filmed him at 13 years old. Why was he never targeted being close to 200 inches at times in his life? What made him special or untouchable?

Comment

Originally posted by Beargrasstx View Post
                          What is the story with Hook? I saw you filmed him at 13 years old. Why was he never targeted being close to 200 inches at times in his life? What made him special or untouchable?
                          He just sorta slipped thru the cracks for most yrs. Was highly visible, always cool looking and everyone just liked seeing him. That said when he was 12 he was actively hunted with archery till he broke off several drop tines. Pretty sure he cracked 200 that yr and would have made an outstanding trophy.

Comment

Incredible deer. Thank you for taking the time to share with us.

Comment

Those are some great bucks! Thanks for sharing the video!

Comment

Great Video!! Hey Elgato would you mind posting some of the bucks y’all took down there this year.

Comment

Working...
                                X