Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you were going to start a hunting lease.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
    And the reason is because, you will have a hard time getting guys to join a lease where they are only allowed to kill one buck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You’re not exactly cracking a code here

Again you’re 100% right.

For the prices of leases out there I believe 4 deer should be a real possibility for a member. Shoot does and a management for the meat and hunt a trophy for the wall.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
      So you don’t shoot any deer you consider inferior or undesirable until it’s 5.5 years old?

What about a slick 6 at 4.5 or even 3.5?

Don’t want to feed junk bucks to 5.5. What a waste. That bottom 10-15% could easily be killed at 3.5 or 4.5 for sure.

Comment

I hunt in totally different area but have ran and do run several leases. On established leases no bucks taken without 4 years of pics. For the most part it ensures that we are taking 6+ year old deer. This has seemed to work for us and we have some big old deer roaming the hills now. Even with new members from year to year someone has pics of the deer to give you a starting point. As for starting up new leases, that’s tough. We did a committee/lease member vote. We also do 1 trophy 1 “cull”, old bully feed hogs. But by the time these cagey deer get to 6 taking out 2 gets pretty tough. And most of our culls are someone’s trophy.

Comment

Originally posted by matvxr View Post
          I run two smaller leases. I Lease out to like minded friends and have zero rules. Pretty fun. I used to run a larger lease with rules, took the fun out of it.
          Originally posted by kyle1974 View Post
          good luck with that! lol
          I think he’s saying that getting like minded members is just as important as having rules. Yes, you can get rid of a member who breaks the rules for self gratification...but if you have a tight group who are all after the same end goal, rules don’t come into play as much.

But then again, we all know how that goes some folks are fine with the management goal until they aren’t then problems arise, it is what it is. I know of a group of hunters who all want big deer...the issue that occasionally arises is one persons “big deer” isn’t what others think it should be. The lease manager has a little “fun” for a while until everyone settles down, and then they’re good. It’s a small headache that he’s willing to put up with, in order to keep the group happy as a whole and continue to hunt together. I wouldn’t want that job, but he enjoys it

Comment

They can rack up a feed bill for sure. I usually have 20 deer at my feeder. I agree with you. I’m not really culling in an effort to drastically change the herd. I do think killing a below average buck is 100% effective in preventing him from breeding though
            problem is those "inferior bucks" have been proven to sire trophy buck offspring at a rate equal to what "trophy bucks" sire. So you have just as good of chance to ruin your future trophies as you do improving them. Plenty of science out there to back it up.

So what do you do?

Let all deer grow to maturity (5+) and make sure you keep your buck and doe ratio and numbers in check. Shoot enough mature deer to keep population where you want it, but dont shoot young deer, if you do shoot young does since they have a lower natural mortality rate than young bucks.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoss163 View Post
              Trophy at least 5.5 and over 130
              Management At least 5.5 and under 130
              I totally agree with leaving the # of points out of it, only shooting mature bucks, and setting a score as a trophy/management threshold.

Also set realistic goals for the area. If the lease is 3000 acres, and only has 2 deer over 130'' on it, don't set the trophy/management bar at 130''.

Comment

Originally posted by TxDispatcher View Post
                I think he’s saying that getting like minded members is just as important as having rules. Yes, you can get rid of a member who breaks the rules for self gratification...but if you have a tight group who are all after the same end goal, rules don’t come into play as much.

But then again, we all know how that goes some folks are fine with the management goal until they aren’t then problems arise, it is what it is. I know of a group of hunters who all want big deer...the issue that occasionally arises is one persons “big deer” isn’t what others think it should be. The lease manager has a little “fun” for a while until everyone settles down, and then they’re good. It’s a small headache that he’s willing to put up with, in order to keep the group happy as a whole and continue to hunt together. I wouldn’t want that job, but he enjoys it

I just read "no rules", and then had a minor stroke! hahah

I run the lease with as few as possible, but you're always going to need guidelines of some sort, even if they're the landowner's rules. keeping it fun should be a huge goal though. I agree, too many leases have lost that aspect of keeping things fun.

Comment

Don't bring cheap whiskey.

Comment

I would think just 1 "trophy" buck at 5.5+ along with a couple does per member, and then put it in writing that additional deer that meet the age requirement will be awarded on a lottery system with total numbers being completely dependent upon deer survey data. This way, if the survey indicates that there are enough mature deer, it would be possible for each member to get 2 bucks and if not then everyone has the same odds to have the ability to shoot a second "trophy".

Comment

Where we hunt the deer population is high. Those who say shoot the does to reduce deer numbers. Is there any concern about too many bucks? We already have lots of bucks. IMO they already outnumber the does. I’m currently on a lease that is right next to the place I’m considering. I’ve been on it 4 years now, and see lots of deer every hunt. I’ve killed bucks from 136”-154” in those 4 years. That’s with most current members feeding nothing but corn. I’m wanting to grow trophy bucks, and have fun doing it.
                      I bet we haven't shot 30 doe's in our years on our place. No way we could shot enough of them. We feed corn, not protein. We have good trophy minded hunters. We take good care of the property.
                      Our deer come and go size wise every year. Your place sounds like ours in most respects.

We were discussing it last year. We gotta get back to just having fun hunting and stop worrying about how big is he or how old is he. Enjoying the time spent with friends and family out there. Enjoy seeing a lot of critters. If ya wanna shoot, then by golly shoot. More fun telling stories about how big he was or just not old enough around the fire than actually shooting one to me now a days.

Your deer at 137-154 are way bigger than 80-90% any of the people hunting get to see or have a chance to shoot anywhere. Have fun and enjoy them like you said. Which I know you do.

I'll add. If you "HAVE TO" shoot 2 bucks than your probably not a Trophy hunter! Unless you shoot a 160 early and a 180 runs out there later on in the season. Then you got some splainin to do to the boys at camp LOL!
                      Last edited by Abcdj; 09-16-2020, 11:05 AM.

Comment

Give me your opinions on management/cull buck rules.

I’m considering taking on another lease starting next year.

It would be Archery only.
                        Hunters would be required to feed protein.
                        This would be a lease that should grow 140”+ bucks.

I figured 1 trophy, 2 doe, and at least one management.

Question is what would you consider management?

This is a place near Eldorado. Lots of deer in the area.
                        I'd get a hold of AntlerCollector, I think he manages several leases......

Comment

Oh good lord with the " we have a16 k acre pasture,
                          control 9k acres, pounded culls for 13 years, culling LF works ". Are we not realizing here 80 percent of your deer don't leave your property, and you've had an opportunity to manage the same herd through 3 whitetail generations? I'm also sure these same deer are also fed extremely well.

You've created a HF environment in a low fence setting, you're basically a unicorn. Less than a tenth of 1 percent of hunters ( land owners not included) will have an opportunity to experience this situation. Mainly due to finances.

Go tell the guy in East Texas with 600 acres, or the gent in West Texas with 2500 acres that culling works. It'll never happen.

Good luck on filling your spots Jeff.

Comment

As mentioned, you need to define what your primary goal is or expectations for the property. Find guys that have that same goal. From there work together to set the rules up. So for instance, it appears your goal is harvesting older animals and reaching scores 140 plus. Find guys that want to do that as well and not just have 'fun' and shoot stuff.

Second, this program can help you stay organized and manage multiple properties as well. To use for one property and group is free. To run multiple properties using this cost range from $25/r, $60/yr, and $99/yr. If you have the internet and/or a smart phone, computer, or tablet you can log in your private account anytime.

It also has satellite mapping if you choose to place where stands, feeders, or other landmarks are on the property. That is up to each group in how to use these tools described.
                            Attached Files

Comment

AC, check your text messages...

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
                                Unless you're high fence, culling is pissing in the wind. Let 'em all get a little age and shoot what you like. You'll be surprised what " inferior " deer can do with age and proper nutrition..
                                Amen, age = good deer

Age & lots of cotton seed ! Can’t have to much of either
                                Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 09-16-2020, 11:29 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X