Black Bass on the Fly rod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Black Bass on the Fly rod

For me here in South Africa it means the end of the hunting season and time to clean the rifles after a season of guiding hunters.

The weather is starting to warm up a bit and it means the Large mouth Bass is spawning or completed spawning and are hungry.

So its time to take the fly rod (7wt TFO TiCR) and go stalk some Bass. I especially like casting surface lures for them.

See what happened yesterday.

Last edited by Gerhard; 09-15-2020, 12:45 PM.

Very nice! I did not know there were largemouth in your part of the world. Are they native or were they imported at some point? I bet they really thrive in those lakes.

Comment

Nice fish Gerhard. Really nothing like dragging a topwater lure across that mirror flat surface water in your pic, and then having a bass explode on it. Congratulations.

John, I did not know about this either and did a quick search. Found out that fishing for bass is HUGE in South Africa. I recommend you set aside a chunk of time then go to Bass Fishing South Africa on FB. My prediction is you will dig the pics, comments, scenery, people, etc. Some of the posts are in Afrikaans, and I don’t have a clue what the folks are saying, but in the pics they are holding up big bass and have big smiles so I understand that.

Comment

anything caught on a fly rod is fun especially bass! i like catching catfish on them!

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
          Very nice! I did not know there were largemouth in your part of the world. Are they native or were they imported at some point? I bet they really thrive in those lakes.

Thanks,

Large mouth and Small mouth Bass were imported from the USA a long time ago.

Grew up fishing farm ponds for them with my dad.

At this stage I enjoy bass more than trout on the fly rod.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

How much hunting did y'all get in this year? I know a lot of stuff was closed to travel. I know a guide who came here for SCI and ended up stuck for months

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
              Me neither. I thought they only had crocodiles and piranhas! Nice work, Gerhard!

Comment

Hard to beat catching bass on the fly. Cool video and good luck on your next trip.

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
                  Me neither. I thought they only had crocodiles and piranhas! Nice work, Gerhard!

Hehehe,

We do have Crocodiles and Tigerfish in Southern Africa, luckily the Piranhas are in South America. [emoji1]

Comment

Originally posted by EZ-10RANCH View Post
                    Hard to beat catching bass on the fly. Cool video and good luck on your next trip.

Thanks,

Already have a new venue or two lined up in the next week or two.

Will share video’s

Comment

Tied a few sliders last night.

Here is one example

Comment

I bet that is a great way to unwind after a long hunting season. Looks like a lot of fun.

Comment

I grew up in north Texas fly fishing 1950s 60s 70s 80s them started workin too much and traveling. I always used a 9' 9wt rod, double taper line, surface lures and streamers. Some of the most fum I have had fly fishing was to float tube off Denison dam on Texoma for striped bass hybrids small mouth and large mouth black bass all in the same location.

Comment

Originally posted by texan16 View Post
                            I bet that is a great way to unwind after a long hunting season. Looks like a lot of fun.

Hunting / Guiding season was tough due to Covid Lockdown.

But privileged to have been able to hunt with local hunters.

Bass fishing is a great way to relax and forget about stuff for a while.

Some trophy photos of the season it I may.

Comment

Have you fly fished for the tiger fish?

Comment

Working...
                              X