No announcement yet.

2022 Gardening Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I rarely pinch fruit/buds off of peppers. I also rarely have a problem with production, but my 'spring' crop of fruit is typically lighter than my fall crop. My fall crop is usually massive. Would be curious if this has something to do with that.....I usually plant a tick earlier than most(Spring Break) just because that's when I have the time to get the majority of my garden in.

Comment

You guys who asked follow up questions about picking early blooms/peppers to help the plants develop, I have been trying to get YouTube up but don't seem to be able to make it work for me this morning, but get on there and search "Pepper Geek". That guy will teach you everything you ever need to know about growing peppers!! Also if you do a search "double my pepper production", there are a couple other videos that also recommend removing early blooms/peppers to allow the plants to mature a bit...

Specifically though jalapeno peppers don't really grow that large usually. I'd think if it's healthy and bushy at 18", I'd let it bloom and produce.

I'm still learning all this too, but a few of these things that I have personally tried in the past have proven themselves as good practices for me is what I try to share... This is one of them. Different for me this year is that I'm growing everything in bags or buckets. I intend to try to over-Winter some of my better pepper plants and try to keep them for next year... Everyone says they produce MUCH better their second year (and even third and beyond)... Hope to get to try this and report back.

Comment

We had a very poor garden crop last year (I didn't take much interest or put much effort into it, and the deer and critters ended up getting most of it.) I decided it's something I need to learn, so we've made a fairly small garden to see if we can get better results.

I had to resprout some seeds after we left them outside during a late frost (frustrating, because I had spent so much time taking them in and out of the house before "we" left them out (while I was out of town! )

Our potatoes were doing great, but about half of them got a fungus (I think from overwatering). We sprayed them with fungicide, but the damaged ones are still looking pretty poor. I'm hoping they're still producing underground. The other half are still looking good.

I'm starting to get a small harvest of Serranos, and the habaneros have started growing fruit. We've got some good varieties of lettuce and greens, and a few herb plants are doing well. Tomatoes, peas, squash, onions, strawberries, cucumbers, etc. are looking pretty good as of now, if we can keep the critters out.

I decided to plant some sweet potatoes this week to try to grow slips. Probably a little late, but we'll see how it goes.

My garden isn't nearly as big and nice as most of the ones I've seen posted here, but we started fairly small and are learning as we go, and then we'll expand as we get better at it.
        Last edited by Michael; 04-28-2022, 08:40 AM.
        My Flickr Photos

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
          We had a very poor garden crop last year (I didn't take much interest or put much effort into it, and the deer and critters ended up getting most of it.) I decided it's something I need to learn, so we've made a fairly small garden to see if we can get better results.

I had to resprout some seeds after we left them outside during a late frost (frustrating, because I had spent so much time taking them in and out of the house before "we" left them out (while I was out of town! )

Our potatoes were doing great, but about half of them got a fungus (I think from overwatering). We sprayed them with fungicide, but the damaged ones are still looking pretty poor. I'm hoping they're still producing underground. The other half are still looking good.

I'm starting to get a small harvest of Serranos, and the habaneros have started growing fruit. We've got some good varieties of lettuce and greens, and a few herb plants are doing well. Tomatoes, peas, squash, onions, strawberries, cucumbers, etc. are looking pretty good as of now, if we can keep the critters out.

I decided to plant some sweet potatoes this week to try to grow slips. Probably a little late, but we'll see how it goes.

My garden isn't nearly as big and nice as most of the ones I've seen posted here, but we started fairly small and are learning as we go, and then we'll expand as we get better at it.

Well Chief, a little YouTubing and you too can become an overnight sensation and x-spurt!!

Good luck with it!

Comment

I expect Chef Michael to make some youtube videos with recipes from the garden!!

Comment

Originally posted by ctom87 View Post
              I expect Chef Michael to make some youtube videos with recipes from the garden!!

Now you're talkin'!!

Comment

Here are some links to some good info on pruning blooms/pods off immature pepper plants:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpQBRThtMoQ"]Should You Pick Early Pepper Flowers? - YouTube[/ame]
                [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYeeYh5cnqc"]This Pepper Fertilizing Technique Will DOUBLE Your Pepper Harvest! - YouTube[/ame]

I haven't been brave enough to try this one yet, but will when I put my cayenne peppers in the ground... I'm runnin' a little late...
                [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PasrZXrnuO8"]Double Your Pepper Plant Harvest - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Are your tomatoes and potatoes in proximity? If the potatoes are overwatered and get blight it will easily transmit to tomatoes. I fight it every year with my tomatoes. I have pruned my tomatoes excessively this year to see if it helps at all.....

Comment

I love the Pepper Geek on YouTube. I just topped a about a dozen of my super pepper plants and the difference is just amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Blood Trail View Post
                      I love the Pepper Geek on YouTube. I just topped a about a dozen of my super pepper plants and the difference is just amazing.

You got a quick explanation on that?

Comment

Originally posted by TexanDuke View Post

top pruning is just pinching the top growth tip out of the plant after it has 6-8 sets of good leaves on the main stem... This promotes the "sucker" branches to grow and that makes more nodes on the plant to produce more blooms/fruit... I'll be doing that to mine this weekend...

I've also kept all the new blooms/fruits pinched off of the young plants to promote more leaf growth...
                        The ultimate goal is to stimulate the plant to produce more fruit.

Comment

Originally posted by TexanDuke View Post

Simply allows light and more nutrients to reach the undergrowth to promote a bushier plant.

Before. This is a beautiful chocolate reaper pepper plant, however, those big, beautiful green leaves is blocking the growth beneath them.

After. Plant is already showing awesome progress of bushing out:

Comment

Another angle.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                              top pruning is just pinching the top growth tip out of the plant after it has 6-8 sets of good leaves on the main stem... This promotes the "sucker" branches to grow and that makes more nodes on the plant to produce more blooms/fruit... I'll be doing that to mine this weekend...

I've also kept all the new blooms/fruits pinched off of the young plants to promote more leaf growth...
                              The ultimate goal is to stimulate the plant to produce more fruit.

X2

Comment

Wife and I increased our garden size from 6 3'x8' raised beds to 9 beds with a 4'x4' herb bed. They are surrounded by cattle and hog panels to hopefully keep the deer out and chicken wire around the bottoms to keep the bunnies out.

Mater, several different varities, taters, sweet corn, squash, okra, bell peppers, onions and not sure what else.

I put the beds together and got the dirt in the beds, we both did the fence enclosure and the wife planted. Gardening and flower beds are the wife's hobby and stress relief!

We have gotten some of the onions, bunch onions and are waiting on the others to start producing. Life is good!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0990.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	24682778

Comment

Working...
                                X