Richland Creek WMA Duck Hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Richland Creek WMA Duck Hunt

My buddy and I were lucky enough to draw a weekend hunt on the Carl Fentress unit in early January. I used to hunt the lake some time back but have never hunted the WMA. Looking at it on google earth the moist soil units look mostly the same with some just having a little more cover than others. If anyone has any insight I’d appreciate it on how compartments are assigned or flight patterns of the birds you’ve seen. I don’t think we are allowed to scout so we may be going in blind.

If no one on the GS can help, go here and PM this guy.

The original Texas Hunting Forum - discuss deer, quail, duck, goose, turkey, hog and everything else we hunt in Texas, buy and sell in the classifieds or just shoot the bull with like minded folks!

Comment

Message me. I can help some.

Comment

The gate is locked so you can't scout till after the orientation. At the orientation you will pick a cell to hunt, typically they go in order per the selection you were drawn by the computer. They won't tell you anything about the individual cells other than they all have birds. After the orientation they will take you out to the wma and you can scout.

The hunting is normally really good Saturday and alot slower on Sunday.

Other than that lmk if you have any questions

Comment

Originally posted by CTR0022 View Post
          The gate is locked so you can't scout till after the orientation. At the orientation you will pick a cell to hunt, typically they go in order per the selection you were drawn by the computer. They won't tell you anything about the individual cells other than they all have birds. After the orientation they will take you out to the wma and you can scout.

The hunting is normally really good Saturday and alot slower on Sunday.

Other than that lmk if you have any questions
          Thanks I appreciate the info.

Comment

Was drawn for this hunt as well for one of the December slots. Anyone know anything about lodging? Found something about camping for the North Unit but that's all I can find.

Comment

Lodge and Cabins are all Lake front located on Richland Chambers Lake providing guided fishing and hunting services. Call Today: 903-641-5905

We are going to stay at these cabins in January. Not too far and seem nice. Found som VRBO nearby as well.

Comment

It'd a primitive camp site, relatively small area. I did not stay at it but during orientation they asked for everyone to get along and be considerate, no late night parties, running generators all night, and so fourth. They warned if you caused to much of a scene they'd kick you out. Some people did bring their campers down.

Comment

Fisherman’s cove or Oak cove marina should be your closest spots to stay. Less than 10 min, unless you camp at the unit.

Comment

We hunted it a couple years back in January. We were in cell 21. The birds figure out what’s going on pretty quick, Saturday was a pretty good shoot, Sunday we had to jump shoot birds. I would use very little decoys, try to figure out their flight paths, and sit away from the shorelines in the ponds if I was to do it again. We “scouted” in October just to get a lay of the land and it was loaded with ducks then too. We stayed at Fisherman’s Cove and it was pretty perfect. Few minutes from the hunting area and made us breakfast before each hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by trainwreck203 View Post

Its a waterfowl paradise now that they flooded most of is, I remember when much of that was deer hunting ground. Seem like just the other day I remember a young hunter dragging his first deer out of there one october, a button buck.
                      Last edited by SC-001; 10-26-2021, 07:46 PM.

Comment

It can be a pretty great hunt. I have been drawn for this hunt a few times before and will be there this season as well January 7th-9th. They have done the unit draw a few different ways over the years. They tend to let you pick in the order your group was drawn for the hunt. They have also had them give each group a number at check-in and then draw from a hat. As your number gets drawn you get to pick a unit. If you have never been they are happy to provide a little info on units. Some are easier to hind in than others. Once you get your unit picked and they take everyone out to the units, don't be afraid to ask more questions to the staff showing you around. They are there every day and have a really great idea of how the birds like to move through and utilize each unit. I have noticed the ducks are plentiful there but can be very wary of anything. Best to hide amongst the natural cover in the water away from shore and not use a giant spread. I have seen ducks here flare off of another group of live ducks. I try to hide in the cattails or up against a tree. Anytime I have tried building a blind, regardless of how well it is brushed in, they tend to flare and keep well away from you. Like said in an earlier post these ducks get wise pretty quickly so the second day of hunting can get pretty slow. On the second day, I find it better to change locations slightly and only sit for a little bit at first light. Once things slow down after first light I like to get up and try to jump a few birds to hopefully finish a limit. As for lodging I have camped on the property or stayed at the La Quinta in Fairfield. Might try the Fisherman's Cove lodge this season. Hope you have a good hunt and enjoy the trip.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys this is exactly what I was looking for going in this first year.

Comment

Hunted there 2 years ago. We were the first hunt in early November. Tons of birds but as described, they get smart quick. Best setup for us was just set chairs in higher native vegetation in the middle of our “cell”. No blind, just hunker in good. Agree also with smaller spreads, don’t need 4 bags of dekes. Not a ton of decoying but plenty of swing bys looking over the decoys to offer shots.

Lots of shovelers and teal but managed to pick up some big ducks being patient. Fun hunt and enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Any reports this season? Me and my son will be there January 7-9. We haven't had much rain so I hope they have some water.

Comment

Working...
                              X