Which 300 Win Mag Factory Ammo for Elk?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which 300 Win Mag Factory Ammo for Elk?

I am trying to decide between the following three factory ammo for an Elk hunt this fall. Shots will be 500 yds or closer at an elevation of around 8000 ft. I know the correct answer is whichever one shoots best out of my rifle, but let's say everything shoots well. I am more interested in terminal performance than shooting 1" groups.

1. Nosler Trophy Grade 200 gr partition
    2. Nosler Trophy Grade 180 gr Accubond
    3. Federal Premium Vital-Shok with 180 gr Partitions

Thanks!

I've not killed an elk, but my rifle likes the 180 partitions. The Aoudad I shot at 200 yards did not like them at all. He was DRT.

Comment

Nothing wrong with a partition! That being said I have been really impressed with accubonds out of my stepsons 7mm-08. I know it’s not on the list but 180 grain ttsx has been bad medicine out of my 300 wsm for elk, red deer, bison and lots of others. It flies nice as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Outback View Post
        I've not killed an elk, but my rifle likes the 180 partitions. The Aoudad I shot at 200 yards did not like them at all. He was DRT.

Killed elk with 180 partitions

Comment

Originally posted by Phdan View Post
          Killed elk with 180 partitions

Comment

All 3 are more than plenty to bring an elk down no problem. I would go with the 180 partitions if I was choosing of the 3.

Comment

Originally posted by docmay View Post
              I know it’s not on the list but 180 grain ttsx has been bad medicine out of my 300 wsm for elk, red deer, bison and lots of others. It flies nice as well.

This is exactly where I'd be looking. We have tested in a bunch of rifles, and seen it used on a lot of critters with great results. It flat out works and is also seems to shoot well consistently out of more rifles than any other factory 300 load we test with.

Funny story about how we stumbled on to the Barnes factory 300WM stuff. We took a hunting weight 300WM to a gunwriter press/demo day a few years ago. The only ammo we had on the shelf for it was a case of barnes 180 TTSX. I didn't worry too much since I figured those guys would be shooting at normal distances, and none would want to spend much time with a light weight 300WM anyway. I honestly didn't think anyone would actually shoot it given all of the other "fun" rifles that were there at their disposal for the day. Those guys ended up fighting over that thing until the ammo ran out. They were consistently banging steel at 1,140 yards with it! Haha

Comment

There is no wrong answer in that list!

Comment

Originally posted by Stick1 View Post
                  This is exactly where I'd be looking. We have tested in a bunch of rifles, and seen it used on a lot of critters with great results. It flat out works and is also seems to shoot well consistently out of more rifles than any other factory 300 load we test with.

Funny story about how we stumbled on to the Barnes factory 300WM stuff. We took a hunting weight 300WM to a gunwriter press/demo day a few years ago. The only ammo we had on the shelf for it was a case of barnes 180 TTSX. I didn't worry too much since I figured those guys would be shooting at normal distances, and none would want to spend much time with a light weight 300WM anyway. I honestly didn't think anyone would actually shoot it given all of the other "fun" rifles that were there at their disposal for the day. Those guys ended up fighting over that thing until the ammo ran out. They were consistently banging steel at 1,140 yards with it! Haha
                  These are the solid copper bullets correct? Man, the old school in me just has a hard time with no lead! I will research them. Thanks!

Comment

Another vote for the Barnes TTSX. Not only does my rifle love the 180gr Barnes bullets, several of us that hunt together have had great results with them. I haven't shot an elk, but that's what I took to hunt Nilgai with.

Comment

Originally posted by 44mAG View Post
                      These are the solid copper bullets correct? Man, the old school in me just has a hard time with no lead! I will research them. Thanks!
                      I know there are several schools of thought about the best way a bullet should transfer it's energy to the target(lead vs.mono). I think there are merits to both, depending on the critter. I will say those TTSX's have no respect for bone whatsoever, and will plow through a bunch of it before calling it quits!

Comment

I know it's not on your list but I shot a Arizona bull with a Nosler 210 accubond longrange, dropped him in his tracks at 500 yards with my 300 WM. Got a pass through too.

Comment

#3. 180 grains is plenty.

Comment

Accubonds takes my vote.

Comment

The ones it shoots best

Comment

Working...
                              X