TexasBowhunter.com Community  Discussion Forums

TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums (https://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/index.php)
-   Around the Campfire (https://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Mexico 2015-2016 (https://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=510655)

Mexico 02-10-2015 09:16 PM

We got back a couple of days ago, checked out the guns. AB looks amazing! Spring is already trying to bloom out! Water still standing in the low spots, should be a awesome year!

santana 02-10-2015 09:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
here is the formula.. I have had a better result with Big Red instead of a coke!!!
use metal pans because they will destroy the plastic ones.....
about 2 tablespoons per coke can.... they will be dead about 15 ft from
plate!!!!

KR-oldmexico 02-10-2015 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by santana (Post 9742445)
here is the formula.. I have had a better result with Big Red instead of a coke!!!
plate!!!!

You got it! The deadly potion!!;)b

Farmdog 02-10-2015 09:48 PM

I want to thank TBH and Shane tonight. TBH was introduced to me thru my brother legdog a few years back. I have people here i consider family. The last few years my farm and personal life have been more than blessed but I missed Mexico. I KNEW someday I would go back. I am not a big deer at all cost guy but I do have an addiction to the red dirt, cold beer, and even the way the sky and stars look so different. Shane chose to let me back into Mex and on a very well taken cared for ranch with the most beautiful brush and a managed deer herd which I know took years of effort to get to the level it enjoys today. I am grateful to this site which made it so easy to connect with Shane and AB family. I look forward to meeting all the guys crossing the Rio Bravo and look forward to the good times ahead.

KR-oldmexico 02-10-2015 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Farmdog (Post 9742531)
I want to thank TBH and Shane tonight. TBH was introduced to me thru my brother legdog a few years back. I have people here i consider family. The last few years my farm and personal life have been more than blessed but I missed Mexico. I KNEW someday I would go back. I am not a big deer at all cost guy but I do have an addiction to the red dirt, cold beer, and even the way the sky and stars look so different. Shane chose to let me back into Mex and on a very well taken cared for ranch with the most beautiful brush and a managed deer herd which I know took years of effort to get to the level it enjoys today. I am grateful to this site which made it so easy to connect with Shane and AB family. I look forward to meeting all the guys crossing the Rio Bravo and look forward to the good times ahead.

I can't wait to meat you as well!!:D. You are a legend and a good host from what I hear!!!!

TBH is a great place as you've mentioned and I've met a lot of great people and friends for life!;)b

Maybe I can come dove hunting soon!:eek:

Mex. Bowhunter 02-10-2015 11:30 PM

Quote:

Welcome Back;)b

Farmdog 02-11-2015 05:36 AM

Great idea Keith. Plant sunflowers, bbq and drink a little beer:) Whitewings for coupon clippers. I love it

Cajunredneck 02-11-2015 05:45 AM

It was great to meet you and hang out with you last weekend! Great times ahead.

Mexico 02-11-2015 06:54 AM

Quote:

We are excited to have you Mark! You have a plethora of Mexico knowledge and it'll be to everyone's advantage to have you posting on the Mexico thread. ...not only that, with you living down south you'll be able to keep us in the loop and up to date on any Mexico happenings. ;)b

Farmdog 02-11-2015 07:45 AM

good to meet you too Bill. I plan on showing up right after Christmas and ask Shane, where's my 2hundy?:)

Legdog 02-11-2015 08:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
He's baaaack!

and the legend continues...

Attachment 692918

old days slingin' arrows

Cajunredneck 02-11-2015 08:19 AM

George Strait is back? Oh,you mean Farmdog!

Cajunredneck 02-11-2015 08:20 AM

it'll be with me.....

Mexico 02-11-2015 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Farmdog (Post 9743163)
good to meet you too Bill. I plan on showing up right after Christmas and ask Shane, where's my 2hundy?:)

:D and I'll need your grocery list!

Cajunredneck 02-11-2015 08:38 AM

Lol, oh man.

santana 02-11-2015 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legdog (Post 9743262)
He's baaaack!

and the legend continues...

Attachment 692918

old days slingin' arrows

Cool Pictures on that thread!!! welcome back!!

RanchoAB 02-11-2015 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by santana (Post 9742445)
plate!!!!

Hey rick have you ever used that for coyotes? Ive heard a lot of people use it, but i dont know how effective it is on coyotes. Should work pretty much the same as on coons i assume. Maybe mix it into a ball of ground beef or something.

santana 02-11-2015 12:00 PM

Rancho Santana 2014-2015 Season findings

looking back to the 2014-2015 season here are mi findings.......

the 201-2015 season was good to us.... we had several bucks we wanted to take out mostly on 7, 8 and 9+ age class..... a couple 4 year old..... we did harvest the biggest buck ever taken at the ranch at 6 or 7 years old.... the buck scored 211 and change at angadi. Also a 155 buck that was 9+ years of age.....
2 more management bucks that my son and my nephew took.

however, we did not harvest some on the Hit list because they did not come out when the hunter was there on the ranch..... 2 bucks.. hopefully they will make it trough the summer and be even bigger next season.

Deer ended the season in good shape and the ranch is green right now... we already deployed cotton see to 17 station throughout the ranch and hopefully by April they will have gain their body weight to start growing their antlers for next season. Our water distribution did help a lot during winter as we spotted several deer drinking form the water stations and it will probably help more on summer to disperse the concentration of animals in just water retaining places like ponds. We are thinking that we will probably feed around 20 metric tons of cotton seed this year up until October 31st. We did noticed that most of the fawn in the ranch this year were bucks.. Its the first year that Ive noticed this.... and they are already in bachelor groups with the 1.5 age class (I saw this past week). Very few does on our place this year.. and the strange thing is that we have not harvest a doe en 2 years.... we did capture 35 that are on our DMP pens and are to be released in 2 weeks, Hopefully we can improve year by year our genetics on our herd.

there is lots to do this year in our place and mostly it will be focused on land management and browse for the herd, more water distribution, and predator control...
predator control with snares and other methods "legal" in Mexico. we did noticed more coyotes and bobcats this season.... we took 7 cats out and I missed at one this last week... coyotes were spotted in packs of 3 or more, instead of just loners!!

Nest season we don't really have any trophies to take.... except what was left this season in the older year groups if they make it (at least 3 deer). but our 6 year old crop this year is very slim as our 5.5 year old crop.. so next 2 season are a question mark. Needless to say that our objective is to harvest at least 4 trophies over 150 per year...every year... and 2 of those above 170. I think that we should be in track in 3 or 4 more years if we keep doing what we are doing.

Our 1.5 year old crop is the best we have seen as to this date... All bucks are at least 6 pts with the exception of 2 ( 4 pts ). and one really cool yearling that should go about 100 B&C. so in 6 years I think we will have a very good season.. haha .... mothers are eating cotton and ensuring good milk for the fawns and transmitting all epi-genetic traits with the "silver spoon effect" which I think is key.

Our DMP operation is running good and we are planning on having 45 does for next year.... and 3 breeder bucks in 3 pens. It is really helping out or genetics... it is harder to manage but at the end... (8 years from that date) it is worth it. keep in mid that our breeder bucks are yearlings loaned from a friend... I think pretty soon we will use our own deer for this. As you all know this is an ongoing effort throughout the years and we need to keep culling, feeding, etc, etc, etc....

hope everyone in this thread had a good 2014-2015 season and will have a better 2015-2016 season..

Rick

santana 02-11-2015 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RanchoAB (Post 9743927)
Hey rick have you ever used that for coyotes? Ive heard a lot of people use it, but i dont know how effective it is on coyotes. Should work pretty much the same as on coons i assume. Maybe mix it into a ball of ground beef or something.

we tried it with dog food first and they were eating it.. but I did not found any dead close by.... I really do not know if it works.....

when we switched to "Big Red" ----- success with coons.....

I really don't know about coyotes!!!!!

Mexico 02-11-2015 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by santana (Post 9744241)
looking back to the 2014-2015 season here are mi findings.......

the 201-2015 season was good to us.... we had several bucks we wanted to take out mostly on 7, 8 and 9+ age class..... a couple 4 year old..... we did harvest the biggest buck ever taken at the ranch at 6 or 7 years old.... the buck scored 211 and change at angadi. Also a 155 buck that was 9+ years of age.....
2 more management bucks that my son and my nephew took.

however, we did not harvest some on the Hit list because they did not come out when the hunter was there on the ranch..... 2 bucks.. hopefully they will make it trough the summer and be even bigger next season.

Deer ended the season in good shape and the ranch is green right now... we already deployed cotton see to 17 station throughout the ranch and hopefully by April they will have gain their body weight to start growing their antlers for next season. Our water distribution did help a lot during winter as we spotted several deer drinking form the water stations and it will probably help more on summer to disperse the concentration of animals in just water retaining places like ponds. We are thinking that we will probably feed around 20 metric tons of cotton seed this year up until October 31st. We did noticed that most of the fawn in the ranch this year were bucks.. Its the first year that Ive noticed this.... and they are already in bachelor groups with the 1.5 age class (I saw this past week). Very few does on our place this year.. and the strange thing is that we have not harvest a doe en 2 years.... we did capture 35 that are on our DMP pens and are to be released in 2 weeks, Hopefully we can improve year by year our genetics on our herd.

there is lots to do this year in our place and mostly it will be focused on land management and browse for the herd, more water distribution, and predator control...
predator control with snares and other methods "legal" in Mexico. we did noticed more coyotes and bobcats this season.... we took 7 cats out and I missed at one this last week... coyotes were spotted in packs of 3 or more, instead of just loners!!

Nest season we don't really have any trophies to take.... except what was left this season in the older year groups if they make it (at least 3 deer). but our 6 year old crop this year is very slim as our 5.5 year old crop.. so next 2 season are a question mark. Needless to say that our objective is to harvest at least 4 trophies over 150 per year...every year... and 2 of those above 170. I think that we should be in track in 3 or 4 more years if we keep doing what we are doing.

Our 1.5 year old crop is the best we have seen as to this date... All bucks are at least 6 pts with the exception of 2 ( 4 pts ). and one really cool yearling that should go about 100 B&C. so in 6 years I think we will have a very good season.. haha .... mothers are eating cotton and ensuring good milk for the fawns and transmitting all epi-genetic traits with the "silver spoon effect" which I think is key.

Our DMP operation is running good and we are planning on having 45 does for next year.... and 3 breeder bucks in 3 pens. It is really helping out or genetics... it is harder to manage but at the end... (8 years from that date) it is worth it. keep in mid that our breeder bucks are yearlings loaned from a friend... I think pretty soon we will use our own deer for this. As you all know this is an ongoing effort throughout the years and we need to keep culling, feeding, etc, etc, etc....

hope everyone in this thread had a good 2014-2015 season and will have a better 2015-2016 season..

Rick

Awesome write up Rick....why the decline in 5 and 6 yr olds? I would understand 4 yr old's because of the 2011 drought?

santana 02-11-2015 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mexico (Post 9744310)
Awesome write up Rick....why the decline in 5 and 6 yr olds? I would understand 4 yr old's because of the 2011 drought?

Shane I think the fact that we took a lot of these age classes when they were 3 years of age (culls and managements), sometimes at 2 if they were 7 pts or less..... we were cleaning house....... we had just finished the high fence and we wanted to start up right....

and on 2010 we had the flood which left alot of moisture in the soil...... the 4 age class was not affected.. actually we have about 9 bucks 4.5 years old that are 10 pts or better... some of them already above 150..... so we should be ok....

Mexico 02-11-2015 12:30 PM

Gotcha!

Mex. Bowhunter 02-11-2015 01:09 PM

Great Write Up Ric. It's crazy How Close we are but, Our Herds are So Different. My Numbers are Off The Chart Right Now and it Seems we can not kill enough Deer every yr to Keep our Numbers Right. We seen the Same thing on Coyotes this yr. I don't know where they all Came from. We have killed 20+ the Last two Trips and Hope to Hit them Hard the next two Months.

santana 02-11-2015 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mex. Bowhunter (Post 9744576)
Great Write Up Ric. It's crazy How Close we are but, Our Herds are So Different. My Numbers are Off The Chart Right Now and it Seems we can not kill enough Deer every yr to Keep our Numbers Right. We seen the Same thing on Coyotes this yr. I don't know where they all Came from. We have killed 20+ the Last two Trips and Hope to Hit them Hard the next two Months.

you may want to send me some does.. haha !!!!
there was one part of the ranch where I did not see a single doe all season!!!:D

dstrong 02-11-2015 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyloMexico (Post 9742277)
Yeah bad deal!!! 15 years!

It sure screwed up my hunting season and the holidays!!

But I'm back and everything is going to be alright!

Dang I really hate to hear that!!! Sucks bad

BillyloMexico 02-11-2015 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dstrong (Post 9744852)
Dang I really hate to hear that!!! Sucks bad

Thanks man....

Mex. Bowhunter 02-11-2015 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by santana (Post 9744630)
there was one part of the ranch where I did not see a single doe all season!!!:D

Let me know if you ever want to come get some.;)b

BillyloMexico 02-11-2015 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by santana (Post 9744630)

I have a few dozen you can take as well! ;)

RanchoAB 02-11-2015 04:02 PM

We saw a lot of the same with our fawns this year Rick. Id say at least 75% of our fawns were bucks and they had nubs and little spikes bigger than i had ever seen before. They also started running with 1 1/2 year olds around mid-January. Ive never seen this happen before. Our fawns are also bigger than ive EVER seen before. We had some that looked like 1 1/2 year olds and then theyd go try suckle off of the doe. Theyre in great shape. Our deer didnt end the rut in great shape. I think since we never had an actual rut peak our deer really rutted harder and longer than usual. Good thing the moment we put out feed they started hammering it. Were gonna be getting rid of a few does as well. We're sending some to El Barrocito, we'll harvest some and put a few more in DMPs. The waiting game begins again haha.

santana 02-11-2015 04:26 PM

that is right Oscar... a few of the buck fawns had little nubs hard antler..... never seen that!!

RAGUIRREJR 02-11-2015 05:31 PM

Great thread

Following, for the day that I might actually get to go hunt Mexico

Cajunredneck 02-11-2015 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RanchoAB (Post 9745313)
We saw a lot of the same with our fawns this year Rick. Id say at least 75% of our fawns were bucks and they had nubs and little spikes bigger than i had ever seen before. They also started running with 1 1/2 year olds around mid-January. Ive never seen this happen before. Our fawns are also bigger than ive EVER seen before. We had some that looked like 1 1/2 year olds and then theyd go try suckle off of the doe. Theyre in great shape. Our deer didnt end the rut in great shape. I think since we never had an actual rut peak our deer really rutted harder and longer than usual. Good thing the moment we put out feed they started hammering it. Were gonna be getting rid of a few does as well. We're sending some to El Barrocito, we'll harvest some and put a few more in DMPs. The waiting game begins again haha.

It's funny to read this Oscar, after visiting RAB over their weekend, no truer words exist. Our bucks came through the rut just plain hammered. Shane and I saw does that look like they had been just ravaged. We saw alot of button bucks as well.

KR-oldmexico 02-11-2015 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Farmdog (Post 9742919)
Great idea Keith. Plant sunflowers, bbq and drink a little beer:) Whitewings for coupon clippers. I love it

You got it!;)b

I'll do my best to be back this year!....

huntsalone 02-12-2015 04:50 PM

Lookin for a little help. I have been bowhunting down in Mexico for the last 7 years and just love it, but am now looking for a place for just two hunters, any ideas on where to start would be appreciated.

Mexico 02-12-2015 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huntsalone (Post 9749672)
Lookin for a little help. I have been bowhunting down in Mexico for the last 7 years and just love it, but am now looking for a place for just two hunters, any ideas on where to start would be appreciated.

PM me

huntsalone 02-12-2015 05:09 PM

I am new on this site. I can't send PM 's yet, can't post my email, so I guess I need more help than I thought, I appreciate the response anyway, Thanks in advance for the help if I can figure out how to talk to you fellas I will.

Mex. Bowhunter 02-12-2015 05:26 PM

Quote:

Here you Go Billy.. Hook him up

Mex. Bowhunter 02-12-2015 05:28 PM

Quote:

What area Have you Been Hunting?

Breezy 02-12-2015 07:45 PM

I went to Mexico this year. It was dangerous, very. ! Cant you tell. :) Can't wait for this years trip.
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15...2aa6a5e487.jpg

santana 02-12-2015 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by breezy (Post 9750282)
i went to mexico this year. It was dangerous, very. ! Cant you tell. :) can't wait for this years trip.
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15...2aa6a5e487.jpg

lol