Who Feeds Medicated Protein?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who Feeds Medicated Protein?

Does anyone on here feed medicated protein? We medicate our herd twice a year spring/fall with LnE medicated. Kills all internal and external parasites and during the summer they don't get that drab heat spot look.
    Last year all our deer harvested except one didn't have a tick on them. We are low fence so that's not a surprise that we had one that possibly didn't eat our feed.
    Seems like it has made a huge difference on live weight, and obviously horn growth since the bucks are spending their energy growing horns and not feeding ticks....
    If you're feeding it have you noticed a difference in your herd?

Never herd of that

Comment

how much $ does it cost?

Comment

Originally posted by merlin View Post
        how much $ does it cost?
        Ours is a little more expensive then it would be on the US side. We have to pay a shipping fee to cross feed. We pay about $18 a bag but its probably around $16 on the US side.
        I buy a ton in the spring and a ton in the fall, the deer only need about 3 mouthfuls to medicate themselves.

Comment

That is good information. I appreciate it. Will do this at our place.

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
            That is good information. I appreciate it. Will do this at our place.
            If you try it let me know how your deer react to it of you don't mind, if you notice increased body weight and over all healthier deer with less ticks.

Comment

What's the brand name? I'm assuming you are feeding this free choice? I'm considering feeding protein this next year and may mix some of it with another protein feed.

That's interesting that their coats don't get the splotchy look. I really noticed that this past time I was at the lease. I wondered if it was heat/stress related or some kind of parasite/infection.

Comment

can you do it in the US? for livestock medicated feed needs a vet prescription and they cannot or at least are not supposed to write one without seeing the animal. I would think with a wild herd of deer that would be hard

Comment

They need a good medicated feed and wormer every so often. Just like any other animal

Comment

We feed Lyssy and Eckel. That have a specific blend that acts like a wormer and kills all parasites. Yes it's free choice. We run a round through them in March and September, its crazy how much healthier our herd looks than even our neighbors.
                    My east neighbor stopped me and commented on our deer last trip, asking what we were feeding them.

Comment

Originally posted by Javelin View Post
                      can you do it in the US? for livestock medicated feed needs a vet prescription and they cannot or at least are not supposed to write one without seeing the animal. I would think with a wild herd of deer that would be hard
                      As far as I know it's perfectly legal. We give it to ours twice a year and helps out a ton.

Comment

What is the meat withdrawal time of these wormers?

Comment

I used to feed a medicated protein in the spring from Palmers Feed in San Angelo but they stopped selling it a couple of years ago, maybe 2016. If I remember right they told me that it was no longer available due to some law change.

Comment

Originally posted by stinkbelly View Post
                            What is the meat withdrawal time of these wormers?
                            Our last round is fed in September, and we dont open until mid November so that's plenty of time. If you need exact times I'd look at the LnE website.

Comment

Originally posted by bloodtrailer28 View Post
                              As far as I know it's perfectly legal. We give it to ours twice a year and helps out a ton.
                              What brand are you feeding and what kind of results are you seeing?

Comment

Working...
                              X