Best grass for direct sunlight??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best grass for direct sunlight??

We just finished building our house and are trying to decide on which type of grass to put down.

We did not put in a sprinkler system but did get rid of all the red select dirt and went back with good topsoil.

Will get direct sunlight most of the day. No trees in the immediate area.

Pro/cons of each?

Where abouts in east Texas. How much area of sod?

Comment

Tyler area. Not sure of the footage. Not too much.

Comment

Bermuda

Comment

Celebration

Comment

Research, Native Grasses..............................

Comment

Zoysia

Comment

I laid 8 pallets of a select Bermuda mix, sod, had certificates with each pallet, i truly don't see the difference, grass is grass, I grow it, I cut it..

Comment

Buffalo grass

Comment

I’ve put down all kinds of sod over the years all over the state it’s really hard to beat plain old common Bermuda especially without a sprinkler system in the full sun.

Comment

Bermuda grass....419 from sod or there are multitudes of refined commons that you can sow from seed. Btw, I'm assuming you've got that ability to water via hoses. Trying to establish grass minus a consistent source of h20 is a very uphill battle. Anyway, I like the contrast look of Bermuda against fescue/natural grasses...plus a lot less ground to maintain.

Sent from my LM-Q720 using Tapatalk
                      Last edited by Slicefixer; 02-23-2021, 11:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief Big Toe View Post
                        I laid 8 pallets of a select Bermuda mix, sod, had certificates with each pallet, i truly don't see the difference, grass is grass, I grow it, I cut it..
                        You must not mow much Bahia then if you think they are all the same lol

Comment

Originally posted by dclifton View Post
                          You must not mow much Bahia then if you think they are all the same lol
                          Bahia is a bizzatch.

Comment

Depends if you want a lawn or a yard. If you have full sun in Texas and already have good top soil down, save yourself some money and seed common burmuda or Sahara. You can buy some fancier varieties of Burmuda, but alot of times if people really don't take care of there grass the common burmuda just crawls in and takes over and people don't know the difference. If you're paying for sod, and plan on watering, I'd do something interesting like Zoysia, and it can tolerate some shade. If it's full sun, don't even think about St. Augustine. With Zoysia, or Common Burmuda, you can overseed in the winter with a quality Perrenial Rye, and your yard will look dark green all winter simialar to what you see on golf courses. It's usually alot of Perrenial Rye and turf type tall fescue. These are dark green turf type cool season grasses, that tolerate shade very well, and if planted in the fall, will give you green from October to July, But will thin out and require replanting every year from the extreme Texas heat. I get away with fescue in Central Texas because I have a shady lawn, and I plant it thin and let the root system get down real deep. Have to replant every few years. If you're in East Texas Zoysia may not be a good choice though because it doesn't like acidic soils. Hard to go wrong with Burmuda.

Comment

Depends on your soils. If in clay or loam, I'd go with buffalograss. No need to feed it with fertilizer or water it once it's established. Doesn't grow too tall so you don't even have to mow it much if at all.

Comment

Working...
                              X