TexasBowhunter.com Community  Discussion Forums

TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums (https://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/index.php)
-   Game Management/Age & Score/Trailcam Pics (https://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Real County and Surrounds Areas (https://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=783805)

Codyrgrs 10-03-2020 08:19 PM

Real County and Surrounds Areas

3 Attachment(s)
We have been hunting outside leakey since 2012 and have had a lot of different game come through our small tract of property. Axis were really good in the area from 2012-216 and really havent had them show up much since then. Plenty of pigs to go around for everyone and turkeys are hit and miss depending where they set up roosts at. Have had black buck lingering around daily with having some holes in hog panel fence where they can come through. Some possible stag/elk bulls on property and some decent whitetail that have been growing.

Curious to see who is around the areas of leakey, rocksprings, mountain home, campwood, concan, vanderpool, medina, and what changes you have seen in terms of head count of game and what has moved in or out in the past 10 years. There have been sightings of black bear and mountain lions non stop this year curious to see if they are ranging out and becoming more popular on rural properties.

Codyrgrs 10-04-2020 05:23 PM

joel45acp 10-04-2020 09:20 PM

So I’m in Edwards Co on Hwy 41 just inside the county line. I bought my place in March of 2019. I immediately placed a feeder out and within 3 days I had pigs and WT almost daily. I’ve had Elk cows, Fallow does, Aoudads, 1 Sika nubbin buck and a small Axis buck on camera. I have very very few WT in my area. Game numbers are very low here too thus the reason I haven’t shot anything yet. Folks around here have the “brown is down” mentality. I love my place cuz it’s mine but unfortunately I can’t control what the nutt jobs around me do.

https://imgur.com/a/IHJtjRY

https://imgur.com/a/sQzIHwR

Longue Carabine 10-04-2020 09:35 PM

How far East have the bear sightings been?

Reel cajun 10-05-2020 08:02 AM

Real County

WT, Red Stag, Sika, Auodad, a couple of Elk And a couple of Axis in last couple of years and plenty of pigs. Had this place since 2017.

Patton 10-05-2020 10:54 AM

Edwards/Real Counties Hunting Thread
https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...d.php?t=657577

Codyrgrs 10-09-2020 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joel45acp (Post 15144801)
So Iím in Edwards Co on Hwy 41 just inside the county line. I bought my place in March of 2019. I immediately placed a feeder out and within 3 days I had pigs and WT almost daily. Iíve had Elk cows, Fallow does, Aoudads, 1 Sika nubbin buck and a small Axis buck on camera. I have very very few WT in my area. Game numbers are very low here too thus the reason I havenít shot anything yet. Folks around here have the ďbrown is downĒ mentality. I love my place cuz itís mine but unfortunately I canít control what the nutt jobs around me do.

https://imgur.com/a/IHJtjRY

https://imgur.com/a/sQzIHwR

Definitely understand especially with the poaching going on around your area as well. Axis numbers have dropped with poachers and high fence places going up.

DEREKG22 11-28-2020 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gunfighterx1 (Post 15142750)
We have been hunting outside leakey since 2012 and have had a lot of different game come through our small tract of property. Axis were really good in the area from 2012-216 and really havent had them show up much since then. Plenty of pigs to go around for everyone and turkeys are hit and miss depending where they set up roosts at. Have had black buck lingering around daily with having some holes in hog panel fence where they can come through. Some possible stag/elk bulls on property and some decent whitetail that have been growing.

Curious to see who is around the areas of leakey, rocksprings, mountain home, campwood, concan, vanderpool, medina, and what changes you have seen in terms of head count of game and what has moved in or out in the past 10 years. There have been sightings of black bear and mountain lions non stop this year curious to see if they are ranging out and becoming more popular on rural properties.

Can u give me some idea of were outside of leakey?..

North, east, south, west?....

Curious because im currently hunting west of leakey and have been north of it a few seasons ago as well....we haven't seen much activity either....been dismal

ETXHunter99 11-28-2020 02:22 PM

Are you on HF?

DEREKG22 11-28-2020 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ETXHunter99 (Post 15283891)
Are you on HF?

If this was directed at me - NO

Codyrgrs 02-18-2021 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DEREKG22 (Post 15283851)
Can u give me some idea of were outside of leakey?..

North, east, south, west?....

Curious because im currently hunting west of leakey and have been north of it a few seasons ago as well....we haven't seen much activity either....been dismal

in between leakey and campwood, about 7 miles west of leakey.

bloodtrailer28 02-23-2021 09:56 AM

Buddies place outside of Leakey was loaded with axis until about 6-7 years ago. You could drive the ranch and see over 100 head at any given time...now your lucky to see 5 or so while driving around. Still plenty of WT some fallow turkeys and pigs. They have been starting to see some red stags in the last 2 years though. Still not sure what happened to all the axis.

Codyrgrs 02-24-2021 03:27 PM

I think the high fence properties are one way trapping them, at least thats what the feed store dude told me.

Hardware 02-25-2021 11:05 AM

Drought will push animals around and currently pretty severe in the area.

sharpstick35 04-04-2021 05:07 PM

I always see advertisements for trapping axis in all the area feed stores and processors

Codyrgrs 04-06-2021 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sharpstick35 (Post 15554447)
I always see advertisements for trapping axis in all the area feed stores and processors

definitely lots of trapping done by high fence game ranches. seems like more and more are going up out our direction

TCB 04-09-2021 07:49 AM

I've hunted a buddies place for 25+ years around Campwood. The trapping is incredibly frustrating and has impacted axis numbers at times. He countered the trapping with increasing food and put 7 water stations out on 400 acres so the animals don't need to leave his place. Axis numbers are excellent and he has one on camera would pull $4000+ on a HF ranch, it's a freaking beast.

Codyrgrs 04-18-2021 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TCB (Post 15562286)
I've hunted a buddies place for 25+ years around Campwood. The trapping is incredibly frustrating and has impacted axis numbers at times. He countered the trapping with increasing food and put 7 water stations out on 400 acres so the animals don't need to leave his place. Axis numbers are excellent and he has one on camera would pull $4000+ on a HF ranch, it's a freaking beast.

Wow that is one way to get after it!!! We have 2 water spots on 50 acres, 3 feeders, 1 protein, 2 Chaffee feeders as well. It seems to be getting worse the past few years, and with axis roaming it makes them an easy target.

Reel cajun 04-19-2021 06:46 PM

Iím 7.5 miles West of Leakey, Axis are around but Iím told not like they used to be, maybe trapping. Iíve been told in bad drought years they head to the rivers? I have 6-water stations out now and 4-protein feeders and we keep alfalfa out in feed pens. Have seen Cow Elk on game camera and Red Stag but they come and go.

brokeno 04-20-2021 05:50 PM

Axis which belong to the state like whitetails are being trapped and sold to high fence ranches. Seems like the tpwd would stop this crap.

Stetsonoverton 04-23-2021 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brokeno (Post 15579961)
Axis which belong to the state like whitetails are being trapped and sold to high fence ranches. Seems like the tpwd would stop this crap.

this is no different than people trapping hogs.

SabreKiller 04-23-2021 04:01 PM

Quote:

Axis are not owned by the state of Texas. They are an exotic and not even listed as a game animal in Texas.

SuperExotics 04-29-2021 10:22 AM

Quote:

You might want to read into what the term "exotic" means and what that implies.

Codyrgrs 08-01-2021 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reel cajun (Post 15578290)
Iím 7.5 miles West of Leakey, Axis are around but Iím told not like they used to be, maybe trapping. Iíve been told in bad drought years they head to the rivers? I have 6-water stations out now and 4-protein feeders and we keep alfalfa out in feed pens. Have seen Cow Elk on game camera and Red Stag but they come and go.

Are you off 337?