Camera Recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Camera Recommendations

Currently have a mid 2000 Canon Digital Rebel XT 8mp camera. With a recent addition to the family I’ve been motivated to look into new cameras and trying to decide what features I can’t live without.

I’ve got a 55-300mm EF-s and the 18-55mm Ef-sthe camera came with.

Where I’m struggling is if I will appreciate some of the features of the higher end cameras.

Basically looking between the 5ti or 7ti, the 80D, or jumping into the world of full frame and then the 6D Mark II.

The first two options at least I have a couple lenses to get started. If I go to the 6D that means all new lenses and they aren’t cheap. I’m not looking to make money with the camera, just want professional looking pictures, and the option to shoot video as little man starts hitting milestones.

The 80D and 6D are attractive with built in HDR options for Bracketing where I don’t believe the Ti models offer. Not planning to do a bunch of online editing.

There is a very good chance it would be the last camera I buy for a long while so I’d want to make sure I get the best I will appreciate.

If I was buying a new body and didn't want to get into EF lenses, I would take a hard look at the Canon 90D. Great photo specs, 4k video, and you can use your existing lenses. If you ever wanted to get better glass, you could by L series EF lenses and run them on the 90D. Unless you're planning on a lot of landscape or close up-wide angle shots, I wouldn't bother with the full frame body.

Chongo, did you hear that!?!

Comment

in for this as well. looking at the canon mark 5D VI. Its between a new camera and a new APR rifle at this time.

Comment

My $.02 (for what its worth) would be to buy a slightly lesser body and upgrade your glass. The 80D would be a massive upgrade from what you have currently, and does just about everything most people want in a camera. The 90D is just one step better than that. Going full frame is always a good option, but again, the glass is what matters there even more.

Comment

Originally posted by rut-ro View Post
          in for this as well. looking at the canon mark 5D VI. Its between a new camera and a new APR rifle at this time.
          The 5D IV is a BEAST.

Comment

Would better lenses have a significant impact on my current camera or is the processor too far behind to appreciate?

How bad would the entry level efs lenses hold the 80D back?

Comment

Originally posted by scott123456789 View Post
              Would better lenses have a significant impact on my current camera or is the processor too far behind to appreciate?

How bad would the entry level efs lenses hold the 80D back?
              Not at all, and you already have them so it’s not like you’re spending more money on them. I shoot my stills on an 80D with L glass and couldn’t be happier for my line of work. If you don’t need/want 4K video, I would snag an 80D lightly used for $700 and start snapping pics. When you’ve shot enough to understand what you don’t like about your current photos, then start looking at quality glass that will solve those issues.

Comment

80Ds are awesome cameras, the floppy screen is an awesome touch and they take great video. Earlier Solo Huntr episodes were filmed on an 80D if that gives you an idea of the video capabilities.

If budget is a concern a used 5d Mk2 or Mk3 will get you into the full frame world with what was a top of the line camera a few years ago for a killer price.

HDR is kind of an outdated technique nowadays, it had its heyday a few years back but people were using it horribly.

To get the most out of any camera you are going to want to shoot RAW format an edit in lightroom or a similar program, it would honestly be a complete waste to get an awesome camera and shoot nothing but JPEG.

Either you decide how you want your photos edited in post or you let the camera decide how they are edited with it's stupid little peabrain, either way theres no such thing as not editing photos so might as well embrace it
                Last edited by Jspradley; 12-14-2019, 10:09 PM.

Comment

Not meaning to hijack the thread but along the same lines. I am looking for a new good camera. Main use will be photographing whitetails. Would like to be able to shoot some amount of distance (deer in senderos). Would also like to be able to use for action shots while duck hunting. Any recommendations on a good setup, camera and lenses?

Comment

Scott, I'll be putting my 80D up for sale tonight if you're still looking

Comment

Originally posted by Gentry Gayle View Post
                      Not meaning to hijack the thread but along the same lines. I am looking for a new good camera. Main use will be photographing whitetails. Would like to be able to shoot some amount of distance (deer in senderos). Would also like to be able to use for action shots while duck hunting. Any recommendations on a good setup, camera and lenses?
                      The 80D or similar body with an APSC sensor would work well for that. APSC sensors are smaller and the bodies are usually cheaper than full frame but they give you more "reach" out of lenses than the same lens on a full frame camera.

oneisnone is offering a good price for his 80D and lenses in the classifieds. The body alone usually runs around $700 used.

You're still gonna need to get closer that you think to get good shots with any lens though.

Comment

I think I’m to the point where I should go big or go home. So trying to run down a full frame setup. The 6D MK II is probably on top but the body is still fetching $1k trying to do a bit better or find a 6D for half that.

Comment

The question is what will you be shooting?

The lens is everything. You can have an elite lens that transfers to several camera bodies.

If you want fast lenses, stick with fixed focal length L glass. You want to start with the best image possible. That starts with the glass, not the camera.

Comment

First priority would be portrait. Seems like to get the background blur and Bokeh I want I need the full frame sensor. I’ve been on the lookout for deals on L lenses and yes they appear to cost as much as the camera body.

Comment

Originally posted by scott123456789 View Post
                              First priority would be portrait. Seems like to get the background blur and Bokeh I want I need the full frame sensor. I’ve been on the lookout for deals on L lenses and yes they appear to cost as much as the camera body.
                              Bokeh has nothing to do with the sensor, it’s all about the DOF and focal length. You can get good bokeh with a kit lens if it’s composed right. I started shooting portraits with a $200 50mm 1.4 and loved it, still my most commonly used headshot lens.

Comment

Working...
                              X