New kayak purchase—need help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New kayak purchase—need help!

I have the fishing bug in a bad way. I am wanting to buy a kayak but live in Amarillo. Will have to travel to get one so demo opportunities will be limited. I have some money to spend so budget isn’t an issue. Will mainly fish lakes in north Texas, New Mexico and Oklahoma. I know wind will be an issue and I really want a pedal drive. I am a plus sized guy at 6’2” and about 275lbs. I do think I might get a wild hair and drag it to the coast once in a while. I don’t mind if it gets super shallow. If that shallow I’ll get out and wade. I have limited experience on a kayak and have fished around port Mansfield in one. I am currently torn between a Hobie pro angler 14 and a Jackson big rig. Welcome to other ideas. Years ago I almost pulled the trigger on a Jackson Cuda but didn’t do it. Looking forward to some guidance!

Research and then buy from austin canoe & kayak (www.ack.com). They deliver. Lots of top brands and accessories.

Comment

I have bought a couple from ACK, and they shipped them to me (freight, not UPS). I didn't get to demo before I bought either. I just researched and watched YouTube videos. I was not at all disappointed in my choice after that, in spite of not being able to demo.

Comment

We’ve had a couple shipped to us from ACK here in Lubbock. No issues.

Comment

Just a suggestion, but road trip to Austin.

Call ACK and let them know the two you're looking at and you're serious about making the purchase.

They will set you up to demo both. I think they have a deal worked out with the Hyde Park Quarry.

Both yaks are top notch. For me, I'd look into the Jackson

Comment

Since your budget isnt an issue go with the hobie pro angler.

Comment

Originally posted by Solocam84 View Post
              Since your budget isnt an issue go with the hobie pro angler.
              I've got an older one and it is a fishing machine! Used it in lakes, rivers, the bay, and even 5 miles offshore and no complaints!

Comment

Originally posted by hopedale View Post

Call ACK and let them know the two you're looking at and you're serious about making the purchase.

They will set you up to demo both. I think they have a deal worked out with the Hyde Park Quarry.

Do ^^^^ this. We went several times for fun. They do it once in fall and once in spring. Also ack has one in Wilber.ey, Conroe and woodlands.

If you want lakes not rivers with pedal. Look at Hobie pro angler. It's a single man boat. And a native Titan peddle. Those are the two top of the line imo. I'd be torn but the drive system is different between the two. I have a Diablo adios. Not a peddle but flat and wide offereing stability to stand and floats in skinny water.

Comment

Originally posted by hopedale View Post

Thanks! For some reason I really like the Jackson but the more reviews and videos I watch the more I get confused. I’m taking the stepson to lake Travis in July. May go see AKC but they don’t sell Jackson. Seems like Hobie is the Cadillac but I’m new to the game.

Comment

I have a 17 hobie pa 14 if you are passing through and want to give her a try, I’d gladly meet you and let you take it for a little stroll

Comment

Originally posted by buxNdux View Post
                      I have a 17 hobie pa 14 if you are passing through and want to give her a try, I’d gladly meet you and let you take it for a little stroll
                      Thank you! I feel like I need to decide and jump in. I always thought the jacksons looked cool but sounds like Hobie is the best of the best!

Comment

If you are set on Jackson, go for the Coosa FD. It should work for you just fine. Old Town top water PDL is another non hobie offering that is high quality. And the best of the best is Blue Sky Boatworks angler model. The seat alone on that rig is nicer than the seats in my truck!

Comment

Definitely recommend AKC. VERY knowledgeable and will point you in the direction you are looking to go after talking to you.

Take a look at the Wilderness Radar 115 as well. The guys at AKC helped us choose this one. It has the option for pedals and rudder. We're pleased with ours.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntntxn View Post
                            If you are set on Jackson, go for the Coosa FD. It should work for you just fine. Old Town top water PDL is another non hobie offering that is high quality. And the best of the best is Blue Sky Boatworks angler model. The seat alone on that rig is nicer than the seats in my truck!
                            I have watched videos and read reviews until my head spins. I have looked at **** near all of the big kayaks. Need to make a decision and go fish!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by mooney_ag View Post
                              Do ^^^^ this. We went several times for fun. They do it once in fall and once in spring. Also ack has one in Wilber.ey, Conroe and woodlands.

If you want lakes not rivers with pedal. Look at Hobie pro angler. It's a single man boat. And a native Titan peddle. Those are the two top of the line imo. I'd be torn but the drive system is different between the two. I have a Diablo adios. Not a peddle but flat and wide offereing stability to stand and floats in skinny water.

Have you had any issues with your Adios? I am really leaning towards one as my next kayak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X