TexasBowhunter.com Community  Discussion Forums

TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums (https://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/index.php)
-   Public Hunting Opportunities (https://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   20-21 Amistad (https://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=778555)

justletmein 11-21-2020 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedernal (Post 15267837)
Anyone been out hunting Amistad? What is the deer movement like?

Got winded aboot 30 minutes ago. I should probably learn not to setup on top of scrapes, **** things always approach from downwind no matter where the trails are.

Pedernal 11-21-2020 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justletmein (Post 15269306)
Got winded aboot 30 minutes ago. I should probably learn not to setup on top of scrapes, **** things always approach from downwind no matter where the trails are.

;)b did you see if it was decent buck ??

Are there many deer moving?? Not exactly cool weather.

justletmein 11-21-2020 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedernal (Post 15269318)
;)b did you see if it was decent buck ??

Are there many deer moving?? Not exactly cool weather.

Couldn't tell, don't think he saw me either. Aside from that that's all I've seen. I wouldn't say anything's moving yet, he's just coming to check his scrape. We just got here a couple hours ago after hunting another place earlier this week. I'm spent and ready for fishing season. Lol

justletmein 11-21-2020 04:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yep they're moving. Just passed on a momma doe at 18 yards in my shooting lane, fawn was tiny. She's making me regret it now, snorts sound like sneezes. Too bad she's not in heat, she came back and could've shot her a couple times now.

Pedernal 11-21-2020 05:46 PM

Looks like you have the lake to yourselves!! 1 vehicle in area 1, 1 in area 3 and 2 in area 2. I saw lots of folks at the Diablo east campgrounds so not sure how many are hunting of off boats. Zero at area 5 which is normally packed with mouflon chasers...

I will be in area 1 tomorrow morning. Hope to paint an arrow red!

justletmein 11-21-2020 07:55 PM

Good luck! Yeah it seems pretty quiet in the hunt areas, lots of fishermen. No duck hunters tonight.

GavinRohrer 12-01-2020 11:28 AM

Ha#4

Was interested in checking out Hunt Area 4. Does anyone have any experience canoeing or kayaking out there?

justletmein 12-01-2020 11:52 AM

Yes. Watch the wind and launch from an appropriate point

GavinRohrer 12-02-2020 10:15 AM

Thanks for the tip on the wind, looks like it's predominantly NW'erly. I'll keep an eye on the forecast. I was hoping I could launch from the north-east side of San Pedro Camp Site; hike the boat down to the water. Does anyone know if that's possible or practical? Seems like that would give me the shortest paddling distance out to #4. Where else would folks recommend to launch from?

justletmein 12-02-2020 11:20 AM

Oh no, not even close to feasible from San Pedro. You can probably hike or from 277N campground but best option is to drive up to Spur 454 boat ramp or day use area. 277N if you plan to hit SE side of area 4, NW side isn't accessible without going all the way around so launch from Spur 454 area to get there.

Gringolevi 12-09-2020 07:00 PM

Anyone been out? How have you been doing? I went to 5 yesterday morning, didnít see a single sheep in the unit.

justletmein 12-09-2020 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gringolevi (Post 15314106)
Anyone been out? How have you been doing? I went to 5 yesterday morning, didnít see a single sheep in the unit.

Not since before Thanksgiving. Probably head down this weekend if weather looks good.

justletmein 12-11-2020 04:02 PM

Well we now have 8 people hunting the same cove. Two boats pull up and park down from mine and 5 hunters unload. ;)b

DKB77 12-12-2020 08:02 AM

I'm looking to take my 16 year old daughter during the 21-22 hunting season for a black buck. Any recommendations on where to start the hunt?

justletmein 12-12-2020 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DKB77 (Post 15320694)
I'm looking to take my 16 year old daughter during the 21-22 hunting season for a black buck. Any recommendations on where to start the hunt?

There's no blackbuck out here. Mouflon and Aoudad although I haven't seen any doodads for a few years, and deer of course.

justletmein 12-13-2020 01:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I think I like camping more than the hunting.

Pedernal 12-13-2020 03:14 AM

^^^^ Dang nice camp fire ��!!

High winds out of the north expected later today be safe out there bud....”

Hex 12-13-2020 01:45 PM

Went to 5 last weekend, saw several deer including 2 nice bucks, porcupine and owls. Tons of sign but no sheep.

justletmein 12-13-2020 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedernal (Post 15322746)
^^^^ Dang nice camp fire ��!!

High winds out of the north expected later today be safe out there bud....Ē

Yeah we broke camp and headed home. I chose my spot poorly last night but both buddies had deer around them no shots. Pretty crowded with hunters right now, guessing everybody is there for the rut.

GavinRohrer 12-15-2020 09:19 AM

Kayak Paddle to Unit 4

Thanks again for the info. Just got back from a long weekend trip. We did end up launching from 454 and because the water is so low, the paddle was quick and easy. Can't say the same for our paddle on Sunday evening. We launched from 277N to glass the shore on unit 5. The morning was great with no wind. But by the time we got to shore, the wind kicked up and was constantly around 20mph all day. The paddle back in the dark was epic as the wind and white cap waves were hitting us broadside.

justletmein 12-15-2020 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GavinRohrer (Post 15328491)
Thanks again for the info. Just got back from a long weekend trip. We did end up launching from 454 and because the water is so low, the paddle was quick and easy. Can't say the same for our paddle on Sunday evening. We launched from 277N to glass the shore on unit 5. The morning was great with no wind. But by the time we got to shore, the wind kicked up and was constantly around 20mph all day. The paddle back in the dark was epic as the wind and white cap waves were hitting us broadside.

Holy smokes, yeah that wind Sunday was no joke. It was supposed to gust into the low 40's midday. :eek:
Yall see anything?

justletmein 12-16-2020 06:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I think this is the doe from Amistad I killed in November. Pulled a couple dog snacks out of the freezer and noticed the bottoms are white.

Pedernal 12-16-2020 06:44 PM

Are the white bottoms supposed to be indicative of something? Did you get any test results back on it?

How was deer movement last weekend??

justletmein 12-16-2020 07:00 PM

Not that I know of, just never seen it before and thought it was kinda cool. She came back Not Detected for CWD.

Plenty of deer last weekend, buddies had lots but I kept going to thick brushy spots way back looking for a good buck and didn't see much. Seems like the rut is finally getting started, somebody needs to buy these deer a **** calendar! Tons of hunters too, deer and duck. We hunted a cove in area 4 and got settled in and had two boats pull up next to my boat and 5 guys unload in the same area. Needless to say we went somewhere else the next day. The mornings were nice and I suspect were great hunting but we don't hunt mornings.

Pedernal 12-21-2020 12:58 PM

^^^ by chance did you run the electronics on your boat and remeber what the water temp might be? Thinking of launching the yak but not if the water is too cold...

justletmein 12-21-2020 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedernal (Post 15343963)
^^^ by chance did you run the electronics on your boat and remeber what the water temp might be? Thinking of launching the yak but not if the water is too cold...

I did have the GPS on but never pay attention to water temp. Does the NOAA site that has the lake levels report temp too?

Pedernal 12-21-2020 06:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by justletmein (Post 15344733)
I did have the GPS on but never pay attention to water temp. Does the NOAA site that has the lake levels report temp too?

Not sure but I will defenitly be checking...

I was sent this pic... I was told some guys without fishing licenses were "popped" with these...

justletmein 12-21-2020 07:37 PM

Dang! :eek:
You'd think people who're that successful would spring for a license.

Hawkpuppy 1 12-22-2020 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedernal (Post 15344767)

I was sent this pic... I was told some guys without fishing licenses were "popped" with these...

Those are from the coast.

Pedernal 12-23-2020 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedernal (Post 15344767)

Quote:

Originally Posted by justletmein (Post 15344868)
Dang! :eek:
You'd think people who're that successful would spring for a license.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkpuppy 1 (Post 15346009)
Those are from the coast.

Yes they are :eek: I thought those looked different from the few fresh water drum I have seen.... Amistad is what the buddy :eek: told me that sent me the pic...

I found out this morning this was posted on fb page named fishing 361 or something like that. I figured I would come back here and correct this before Burnadell called me out for posting factious information :eek::eek:

:)

justletmein 12-23-2020 10:50 AM

lol, Burnadell will tar and feather you per-fish for that.
Both of those game wardens look very familiar, but I hang out on the coast a lot too.

fthoodhoghunter 12-23-2020 06:43 PM

Yep 361 fishing. They get popped all the time around here.

Pedernal 12-23-2020 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedernal (Post 15348401)
Yes they are :eek: I thought those looked different from the few fresh water drum I have seen.... Amistad is what the buddy :eek: told me that sent me the pic...

I found out this morning this was posted on fb page named fishing 361 or something like that. I figured I would come back here and correct this before Burnadell called me out for posting factious information :eek::eek:

:)

Dang I can't even spell fictitious correctly :eek: Burnadell is really going to get me now :)

donpablo 12-24-2020 06:22 PM

Mouflon

First time Iíve ever gone out there (5) and not seen a SINGLE mouflon. Heard a rumor that they netted them. Anyone know if thereís any truth to that rumor?

Gringolevi 12-28-2020 03:01 PM

I talked to the park ranger and he told me all the mouflon were across highway, Never known them to move over there but then again I haven’t hunted there but for a couple years. Last time I went I didn’t see any either.

donpablo 12-28-2020 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gringolevi (Post 15358860)
I talked to the park ranger and he told me all the mouflon were across highway, Never known them to move over there but then again I havenít hunted there but for a couple years. Last time I went I didnít see any either.

We heard that theory too. We went across the highway and glassed. All we saw were crane & deer. The weirdest thing is not seeing them in the neighborhood behind area 5. Never not seen Ďem in that sanctuary.

justletmein 12-28-2020 10:07 PM

Couple years ago I heard rumors that people on the neighborhood/private were opening up on them with ARs when they'd go over there. No idea if there's any traction to that and I can't remember where I heard it but it was in the form of a complaint that not all the neighborhood people agreed with it.

Gringolevi 12-29-2020 06:23 AM

I hope they will be back, I enjoyed hunting them. It would be a shame if they killed them all off or netted them. I’m going to call the rangers and see if they have any insight into the disappearance

Rem40x 12-31-2020 06:48 PM

Yes they hired a pilot to net them. They were taken to Harper and sold . The pilot had a contract to do this.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

donpablo 12-31-2020 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rem40x (Post 15367172)
Yes they hired a pilot to net them. They were taken to Harper and sold . The pilot had a contract to do this.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

We asked a park ranger about it and she claimed not to know anything. I'm guessing they're hearing a lot of complaints from hunters. That sucks. The #1 reason we liked going. May have to move our annual trip to another place. :(