TexasBowhunter.com Community  Discussion Forums

TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums (https://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/index.php)
-   Public Hunting Opportunities (https://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   20-21 Amistad (https://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=778555)

bowhunt3 10-28-2020 12:47 PM

Prayers for the family

fakeworest 10-28-2020 12:57 PM

hope he is found. a reminder to wear a flotation vest. always.

Duckologist 10-28-2020 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fakeworest (Post 15202746)
hope he is found. a reminder to wear a flotation vest. always.

Or, tie up your boat better

m10 10-28-2020 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justletmein (Post 15202648)
Any updates on our lost homie out there? I checked the news releases page for NPS Amistad and NPS overall and I can't even find the original news release.


Not yet. My wife served with him in the AF. They are spreading the word around. They have found some other clothing they believe is his. If so then he made it out of the water. Still searching though.

justletmein 10-28-2020 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m10 (Post 15202872)
Not yet. My wife served with him in the AF. They are spreading the word around. They have found some other clothing they believe is his. If so then he made it out of the water. Still searching though.

****... That sounds like a classic case of shedding wet clothes because he's freezing. :(

DaddyO 10-28-2020 04:09 PM

Prayers sent.

Pedernal 10-28-2020 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justletmein (Post 15202896)
****... That sounds like a classic case of shedding wet clothes because he's freezing. :(

Yes it does. hopefully he had a way to make a quick fire. We used to carry a "fire starting kit" in our PFDs for this reason. Something to consider for the folks boating especially during the winter months.

Continued prayers that he is found safe and for his family.

justletmein 10-28-2020 05:56 PM

The local news in SA reported on it just now, they said hos vehicle was found at a camp site. Hmmm

Gringolevi 10-29-2020 12:01 PM

I just seen this, any updates? Prayers up.

texaswoods5 10-29-2020 05:18 PM

There was another thread on the fire about it. They found his body. R.I.P

Gringolevi 10-29-2020 07:50 PM

Man that’s terrible, any details on what happened? Prayers for the family in this hard time.

justletmein 11-02-2020 04:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
1st trip of the year. I'm in one of my favorite coves but it looks barren with hardly any sign. Lake is so low I think they've got better places to graze now.

sasqy 11-02-2020 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justletmein (Post 15217347)
1st trip of the year. I'm in one of my favorite coves but it looks barren with hardly any sign. Lake is so low I think they've got better places to graze now.

Man !
That sure is a slick boat/setup you got there.
How does it do across the devils river with those waves at night.

Pedernal 11-02-2020 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justletmein (Post 15217347)
1st trip of the year. I'm in one of my favorite coves but it looks barren with hardly any sign. Lake is so low I think they've got better places to graze now.

All the deer left the lake amistad area. Please spread the word; no reason to go hunting out there.

gemini2759 11-02-2020 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justletmein (Post 15217347)
1st trip of the year. I'm in one of my favorite coves but it looks barren with hardly any sign. Lake is so low I think they've got better places to graze now.

You'll find em. Good luck.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

justletmein 11-02-2020 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sasqy (Post 15217469)
Man !
That sure is a slick boat/setup you got there.
How does it do across the devils river with those waves at night.

Thx man, yeah we love these boats. This is my 2nd one. I've had both in an angry West Matagorda bay in 30+, it ain't fun but it handles it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedernal (Post 15217611)
All the deer left the lake amistad area. Please spread the word; no reason to go hunting out there.

I think you might be right. Not so much as a mouse tonight but deer moving all over the roads by the boat ramp. Caught a string dead smell in the way walking out tonight, followed it 300 yards or so up the draw and was real close and strong but it was coming from some of the nastiest thickest brush there is and I couldn't get through it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gemini2759 (Post 15217760)
You'll find em. Good luck.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

We're gonna try. I'm handicapped a bit though, gotta work til 2pm daily so just hitting the evenings this week. Wife gonna walk in to Area 2 tomorrow and lay a track out and hit it early Wednesday and Thursday.

dannorocks 11-03-2020 08:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedernal (Post 15217611)
All the deer left the lake amistad area. Please spread the word; no reason to go hunting out there.


That's right... she never saw my arrow coming. No reason to come out here!

On another note, I got out there while the search for the lost hunter was going on. Sad to hear, I went boatless and did put on a few extra miles in an effort to help. I'll probably head back to Amistad later this winter, have a few draw hunts coming up.

quackadikt 11-03-2020 08:28 AM

Man I want to go check that country out sometime this year. I'd be happy to pick up the gas bill and some groceries if anyone is looking for a travel buddy...or even cook a few meals if we met out there and just camped together.

justletmein 11-03-2020 09:38 PM

Much better evening tonight but didn't let any fly. Talked to a super cool game warden at the ramp, that dude was sharp.

Quote:

Originally Posted by quackadikt (Post 15219064)
Man I want to go check that country out sometime this year. I'd be happy to pick up the gas bill and some groceries if anyone is looking for a travel buddy...or even cook a few meals if we met out there and just camped together.

Come down week before Thanksgiving.

Mule Skinner 11-04-2020 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justletmein (Post 15218004)
Thx man, yeah we love these boats. This is my 2nd one. I've had both in an angry West Matagorda bay in 30+, it ain't fun but it handles it.



I think you might be right. Not so much as a mouse tonight but deer moving all over the roads by the boat ramp. Caught a string dead smell in the way walking out tonight, followed it 300 yards or so up the draw and was real close and strong but it was coming from some of the nastiest thickest brush there is and I couldn't get through it.



We're gonna try. I'm handicapped a bit though, gotta work til 2pm daily so just hitting the evenings this week. Wife gonna walk in to Area 2 tomorrow and lay a track out and hit it early Wednesday and Thursday.

Dude, you working remotely from camp till 2 each afternoon?

I'm impressed. :)

justletmein 11-04-2020 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mule Skinner (Post 15222861)
Dude, you working remotely from camp till 2 each afternoon?

I'm impressed. :)

Yep, used all my vacation time for kiddo's youth drawn hunts so gotta conserve. It really helps that work isn't so busy right now and lots of people are still "working from home" because of the virus.

quackadikt 11-04-2020 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justletmein (Post 15221371)
Much better evening tonight but didn't let any fly. Talked to a super cool game warden at the ramp, that dude was sharp.



Come down week before Thanksgiving.


I might be able to make it down for a couple of days. Iíll PM you once my schedule gets ironed out.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rem40x 11-04-2020 05:58 PM

Fence line borders state parkhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...7efb977cac.jpg

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Gringolevi 11-05-2020 06:31 PM

Anyone going to be down Tuesday/Wednesday? If so let’s have a beer after hunt

justletmein 11-05-2020 08:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Tonight was dead, deer bedded down walking out and bedded down still in camp.

Pedernal 11-05-2020 10:41 PM

Nice fire!!

Hope they start moving out there for you. How much pressure are you seeing out there??

justletmein 11-05-2020 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedernal (Post 15227259)
Nice fire!!

Hope they start moving out there for you. How much pressure are you seeing out there??

Zero pressure. 1 truck in #2, 1 truck in #1, 1 boat in #4.

RiverRat00 11-06-2020 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justletmein (Post 15226996)
Tonight was dead, deer bedded down walking out and bedded down still in camp.

Where do you stay?

tx.biologist 11-06-2020 06:09 AM

Just as a reminder the entire hunt area is in the CWD zone and you are required to bring your harvest to the check station for sample collection

https://tpwd.texas.gov/regulations/o...check-stations

justletmein 11-06-2020 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiverRat00 (Post 15227334)
Where do you stay?

Depends on what's going on, but we camp either at San Pedro, 277N, or Spur 406.

RiverRat00 11-06-2020 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justletmein (Post 15227878)
Depends on what's going on, but we camp either at San Pedro, 277N, or Spur 406.



How do you do it to take a good bath out there? Is there any public shower areas?

Also , if you shoot a deer can you hang or cut him up in those campgrounds?

justletmein 11-06-2020 05:21 PM

Man we're on some deer in #2 but 6 shots just rang out. We got some duck hunters 200 yards feom where we're setup. Super bummed we'd finally gotten a great setup and felt confident.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiverRat00 (Post 15228672)

How do you do it to take a good bath out there? Is there any public shower areas?

Also , if you shoot a deer can you hang or cut him up in those campgrounds?

Planet Fitness in Del Rio or a truck stop. You can quarter them up in camp but can't gut them. Gotta be out of sight also.

justletmein 11-06-2020 08:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well can't complain, duck hunters stopped blasting at sundown and the deer started moving once it got quiet.

RiverRat00 11-06-2020 09:05 PM

Well done..perfect shot too

gemini2759 11-07-2020 05:47 AM

Wtg.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

Pedernal 11-07-2020 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justletmein (Post 15229435)
Well can't complain, duck hunters stopped blasting at sundown and the deer started moving once it got quiet.

Awesome!

quackadikt 11-07-2020 07:44 PM

Fantastic!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gringolevi 11-09-2020 07:43 PM

Nice doe. Hopefully they are moving the next few days.

Mule Skinner 11-09-2020 08:15 PM

Congrats! Nice shot.

Pedernal 11-20-2020 08:14 PM

Anyone been out hunting Amistad? What is the deer movement like?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:01 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com