Traditional FSC Week 22

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Traditional FSC Week 22

Lest We Forget, this is Memorial Day, honoring those who gave all in defense of our freedom. For decades, the VFW has marked the day with Buddy Poppies. As a Boy Scout, I remember selling these each year.

This week's target is a poppy image (print mine or the photo, or draw your own, about 8" outside diameter, with 3" center area, with a dot in the middle).

First two shots of a day, from 12 yards (6 for kids), any stance, with one in a "petal" and the other aimed for the spot in the middle of the center area.

Object is to hit a petal and then the middle of the center on consecutive shots. The order of the shots is up to you, and luck is allowed. (Lowering the intimidation level here; shoot and have fun -- kids, newbies welcome. ) Measure the center shot from nearest part of shaft to center of spot as tie-breaker.

Up to four days' tries are allowed, but you must hit a different "petal" each day, if you shoot multiple days. Line cutters or even touching a line counts in your favor.

Winner will have a "petal" hit and the best center hit on a single day.

Good luck and have fun.

Sent from my SM-J337V using Tapatalk

Originally posted by tradtiger View Post
    Lest We Forget, this is Memorial Day, honoring those who gave all in defense of our freedom. For decades, the VFW has marked the day with Buddy Poppies. As a Boy Scout, I remember selling these each year.

This week's target is a poppy image (print mine or the photo, or draw your own, about 8" outside diameter, with 3" center area, with a dot in the middle).

First two shots of a day, from 12 yards (6 for kids), any stance, with one in a "petal" and the other aimed for the spot in the middle of the center area.

Object is to hit a petal and then the middle of the center on consecutive shots. The order of the shots is up to you, and luck is allowed. (Lowering the intimidation level here; shoot and have fun -- kids, newbies welcome. ) Measure the center shot from nearest part of shaft to center of spot as tie-breaker.

Up to four days' tries are allowed, but you must hit a different "petal" each day, if you shoot multiple days. Line cutters or even touching a line counts in your favor.

Winner will have a "petal" hit and the best center hit on a single day.

Good luck and have fun.

Adding pic:

Comment

Here's a short piece from YouTube on the historical origin of the poppy as the Flower of Remembrance, including the poem In Flander's Fields, by Col. John McCrae.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqfxJNYCzJc"]Remembrance: The Memorial Day Poppy - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Word.

Super cool target TT.

Comment

Day 1: no score

Comment

Day One: petal hit, middle miss
            Attached Files

Comment

Ok. This crossed my mind. Briar: pick a shot to "x" out and clear that petal to be okay for shooting into going forward.

Comment

Here's my Day 1: hit left petal with first shot, but then was low of middle on second shot. Will "x" out low shot to clear that petal for future days' shots.

Comment

Rule clarification: (in case someone doesn't see the comment to Briar) If you hit two petals, simply "x" one out in order to open that petal as available to shoot in future days. See my Day 1 example above.

*I did not miss the middle on purpose to illustrate the point, btw.

Comment

Day 2: shot 1 left petal miss, shot 2 hit desired bottom petal

I thought about not shooting the second shot and having 3 open petals but was too annoyed from first shot miss of left petal and wanted a strike and mental win. 2 petals left.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Day 2

Comment

Oh so close, Reb!

Comment

Day 3: miss...petal flirt, center skirt
                          Day 4: complete miss

I always thought the red poppy associated with a WWII veteran was just a local Georgetown tradition. Good to know its more wide spread than just locally and goes back to WWI and memorial of all veterans.

Thanks for sharing and great target TT.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Briar Friar; 06-04-2021, 12:00 PM. Reason: MemorialPoppySpake

Comment

Close, Briar.
                            I'll tell you, that poem kind of makes the room get dusty.

Comment

Day 3

Comment

Working...
                              X