Pasture weed control recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pasture weed control recommendation

I’ve got a mixture of native and costal Bermuda grasses on my pastures and would like to spray them for weed control. What products do you recommend and at what time of the year? Thanks again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tagged

Comment

Grazon. We will start spraying in the next few weeks.

Comment

Grazon

Comment

Grazon Next is my favorite. I’ll usually start spraying in mid March to early April

Comment

Grazon Next HL. We spray sometime between April-March.

Comment

What they said, grazon.

Comment

are there any sensitive crops around you? fruits, pecan trees, cotton, corn, sorghum, nursery, etc? If no, then I'd go with grazon next (if you have a pesticide license), and I'd go with chaparral (if you don't have license). If yes, then I'd probably run a herbicide impregnated dry fertilizer. No potential for drift, but the coverage isn't as good unless you use 200 lb fertilizer per acre or more.

Comment

Actually right now still you can get away with 24D and it’s much cheaper per acre. If you don’t have a lot to spray then use grazon.

Early spraying March generally I use 24D and preemergent. Then later like end of April, may I spray again aight Grazon and Preemergent again.

I am behind this year on spraying due to fields being to wet we are about to start spraying now. I’ll use 24D since I already bought it.

Comment

Grazon Next

Comment

You will need an applicators license for Grazon and Grazon Next. And, depending on the county you are in, anything with 2,4-D you will need a permit.

What weeds do you have? How many acres? Are you applying it yourself or will someone else apply it?

If you don't have the applicator's license, and you want to kill any Bahia along with general broadleaf weeds, try Chaparral or Cimmeron (or Plotter) in May.

Comment

A broadcast spray application of a broadleaf weed selective herbicide will control weeds and not harm grasses. I use a Fimco tank sprayer with a boom on the back of a 4 wheeler. The best time to apply herbicides is spring to early summer when weeds are 2”-4” tall.

I’m assuming you’ll need to use a product that can be purchased without an Applicators License. If that’s the case I would suggest Pasturegard HL (1-3 pints per acre) or Pasturall HL (1-1.5 pints per acre). I would also recommend using a good surfactant like LI 700 at, somewhere around 32 oz. per 100 gallons of tank mix to help the herbicide stick to the broadleaf weeds better.

Be careful around desirable trees when applying the herbicide, as it will kill any smalls trees if it comes into contact with their canopy and could damage any larger trees if you spray under their drip line.
                        Last edited by Sika; 04-11-2019, 05:00 PM.

Comment

Rifle is what I’m using. I bet it’s in the 2 4D family: I spray sugarcane and hay pastures with it. It will smoke your neighbors cotton, wind direction, drift control chemicals are a must

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post
                            You will need an applicators license for Grazon and Grazon Next. And, depending on the county you are in, anything with 2,4-D you will need a permit.

What weeds do you have? How many acres? Are you applying it yourself or will someone else apply it?

If you don't have the applicator's license, and you want to kill any Bahia along with general broadleaf weeds, try Chaparral or Cimmeron (or Plotter) in May.

No specific weeds... just general weed control and briars. I have about 70 acres to spray. I will spray it myself. Are either of those bad for trees as well? I have a lot of oaks I’ll be spraying around that have briars at their bases.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I think the best way to control briars is shred them and hand spray the stems. I have briars also and Grazon P+D won't kill them with regular application rate of 1 1/2 pint per acre. I have to go back and spray them again with a spot sprayer.

Comment

Working...
                              X