dead trees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dead trees

I have 2 arizona ash trees we planted when we built our house in 2000. I didn't realize they were so short lived when I planted them. They should have been good for another 10 years, but I guess the deep freeze this year got them. I wanted something that grew quickly in the front yard because it had no trees. The back yard has multiple large oaks. Now that they are dead, I'm gonna take them out and put some new trees in I guess. Any suggestions on something that will grow somewhat quickly, but not die in 20 years?

I don't think your trees died on their own, they were killed by the freeze. Many, many trees had the same fate due to the winter storm. Almost every fruit tree, ash, and red oak in our neighborhood are all dead, or are branching out only around the trunk due to the freeze damage.

I personally would give your trees another month or two to see if they show any signs of life before removing.

I'm not a lot of help on new trees recommendations, but I have always heard that Monterrey oaks are great trees for Texas.
    Last edited by 44mAG; 04-30-2021, 09:28 AM.

Comment

Cedar Elm(poor man live oak) grows surprisingly quick - will beat a live oak. Give you fall color. You can prune the crap out of it and shape it into the tree you want as it grows. They're very underrated, and there's a good chance you've hung a treestand in one a some point if you bowhunt in Texas.

Comment

give them more time. i have 2 that look dead till this week they are staring to get new buds now.

Comment

Not trying to hijack your thread but when do you know your trees are dead. We have a Bradford Pear that had blooms right before the freeze, I think. They are still there. I can't tell if they are any bigger, might be but not significant. No green. Others in neighborhood that look rough at least have some green. When I scrape the bark at multiple places I see green.

I have heard that trees can have a lot of energy stored and to wait a little longer. We are in McKinney.

To your question, I wouldn't pick a Bradford Pear. We didn't. Our neighborhood did before we were here and haven't seen good things with them when they get bigger/older.

Comment

I may be in the same situation. I have two Arizona Ash that I planted in 2011 that appear dead from freeze. I plan to wait them out till fall and see if they possibly come back before I make a decision to get rid of them. Not sure what to replace with but will probably go back with same or pecans.

Comment

I have 4 large Ash trees that haven't put on leaves yet this year due to the freeze but they do have some new growth down low so I'm going to leave them for now and see what happens.

Comment

We never have temps that cold here (single digits and neg. numbers) in the winter so it doesn't surprise me that all the weak trees in our area won't recover. There are many, many shrubs here that are brown and will need to be replaced.
                I agree, the elms do well here and grow quickly. I've got a red maple that has grown rather quickly and seems pretty sturdy. Supposedly bur oaks do well, along with chinese pistachio.

Comment

Im gonna leave these till the fall as well. Maybe they will come back. There a few small green branches trying to come off the trunk, but the branches up top all seem dead

Comment

Originally posted by bullhead44 View Post
                    I have 2 arizona ash trees we planted when we built our house in 2000. I didn't realize they were so short lived when I planted them. They should have been good for another 10 years, but I guess the deep freeze this year got them. I wanted something that grew quickly in the front yard because it had no trees. The back yard has multiple large oaks. Now that they are dead, I'm gonna take them out and put some new trees in I guess. Any suggestions on something that will grow somewhat quickly, but not die in 20 years?
                    What part of the state are you in? Arizona ash and bradford pears are weak wooded garbage.

If you are eastern wetter and more acidic soils i recommend Bald Cypress or if you can find it and like pines, longleaf pine.

Central Texas probably post oak or live oak.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Comment

My dad has 2 in his yard that he planted in 1985. They are great big trees and both don't have any green in them. I know of about 10 others that haven't leafed out yet and all look dead.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Lone_Wolf View Post
                        Cedar Elm(poor man live oak) grows surprisingly quick - will beat a live oak. Give you fall color. You can prune the crap out of it and shape it into the tree you want as it grows. They're very underrated, and there's a good chance you've hung a treestand in one a some point if you bowhunt in Texas.
                        Yes sir we plant a lot of these and is one of my favorite trees.

Comment

Shumard oak is a fast growing oak tree that is good in Texas. I’ve planted 4 of them and they’re good hardwood trees...they’re supposed to grow 18-24” a year too. Just another option for you to consider.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Checked on my Ash trees yesterday. There are losts of new limbs growing off the trunk. A little new growth beginning to come out in some higher branches near the trunk. Still nothing on the the outer branches. The farther from the trunk the less new growth. At least they are not dead yet. Hopefully they will come back.

Comment

after the extreme freeze this winter, a hard summer is going to kill even more that were weakened by the cold.

Comment

Working...
                              X