Muzzleloader?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Muzzleloader?

Well guys, mamma wants one for X-mas but I have not a single clue about them. Looking for advice on what is accurate and simple to use. She will only deer hunt and shoot a few pigs with it. What y’all recommend and what bullets powder etc etc

I traded a guy a 44 mag for a cva wolf 50 cal and it surprised me not heavy not a hard kick with 100 grs of powder and a 300 gr slug open sights at 50 gives me 1in groups. Cleaning is a pain but not too bad just time consuming.

Comment

Get an inline 50cal. 209 primers with removable breechplug. Brand, there's a bunch to choose from. Not much help I know.

Comment

I just posted a TC Prohunter barrel and forearm if that helps. .50 cal bullet and 100 grains of powder doesn’t kick all that much and will do the job on deer and pigs.

Comment

Get a CVA , affordable and easy to use and they have some good how to videos

Comment

Got 3 of the buckstalker packages from midway ( me, dad, and my son ) all 3 kill deer nothing fancy but they group better than minute of deer to 150 yards.
            I use 250 grain hornady bullets and 100 grains of powder in pellet form.
            No more than 5 shots and clean the barrel or its a big pain I usually clean after 3 especially on sight in.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Get in line that uses shotgun primers...Way easier to clean..and maintain...BlackHorn powder its cleaner burn in my exp.....50 cal is deadly on most any thing

Comment

I have 3. The cva is the easiest and most budget friendly. And where I'd look.

Muzzleloader.com

The TC shoots better. The Hawkins is cool but a pia

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                  I second.

Comment

Not sure what level/quality you are looking for I currently shoot a T/C which I enjoy but had a chance to shoot a Woodman Arms (https://woodmanarms.com/) yesterday and will be getting one before next season. Very light weight, easy to shoulder and shoot, easy to load, and very well built! I like the way the rifle cocks it’s self when opening it, has a cross bolt safety and an indicator to let you know the rifle is cocked.

As far as powder goes Blackhorn 209 is the way to go. I started shooting pryodex pellets and once I made the switch I will never look back.

As far as bullets go I have swapped recently from bullets with a sabot to power belts and they seem to be easier to load and more accurate so far but have t had a chance to connect with any game yet with them.

Comment

Got an expensive Knight with a green mountain barrel and a cheap TC encore. The TC's trigger is better, its easier to clearn and is more accurate, its actually insanely accurate. So the higher priced ones aren't always all that. Also use powerbelts, 295 grain.
                      Last edited by bossbowman; 11-25-2021, 04:58 PM.

Comment

I have a CVA Wolf which is the entry level muzzleloader. It is very accurate for what I need it for which is only out to about 120yds or so. I use 2 White Hot pellets and a 295gr Powerbelt bullet. I’ve killed 6 deer with it in the last two years and have no complaints at all.

Someone said that they’re a little harder to clean which is true but it’s not too bad.

One note about CVA is that they offer a 20% discount to veterans. That’s a nice price break (if you qualify) for a quality muzzleloader.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

In for the information as well because my momma also wants a muzzleloader. However, she’s in her early 80s, very petite, and I’m worried it will too much gun for her. Not that she’ll be shooting it much. I think she just wants to know she has it.

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                            All of this ^

I have the CVA Accura stainless with Bergara barrel. Have a Leupold Ultimate Slam scope on the top.

It is a tack driver with 100gr. IMR White Hots and 224gr. Powerbelts. I have killed deer by neck shooting them without hesitation to 150 yards.

Recoil is negligible.

Comment

Blackpowder rifles are addictive! I shoot a 45 cal knight extreme and a T/c encore in 50 cal. I had a cva for a short while- got rid of it.
                              For a beginner, I would highly recommend going with an in- line rifle with a 209 primer system ( stay away from percussion ).
                              I would recommend a T/C encore - prolly the easiest to load and clean. It is also very well made. If you are in NTexas I’d be happy to walk you through mine and try them out.

Comment

Working...
                              X