Pork butt dilemma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork butt dilemma

Short story is: I hadn’t cleaned my firebox in about three smokes on my Traeger and put on a pork butt this am at 0600 when I got off work.

I was up fighting sleep for quite a while before I fell asleep so I just woke up. I checked it and the smoker threw an error and shut itself off. The pork has a great bark but is cool to the touch and not finished cooking all the way (I can tell)

Can I put it in the oven to finish it off or is it a waste? My mom came over and says she’d throw it out because it’s pork.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If it were me and I was not serving it to anyone but myself, I’d put it back on the heat, take it to 200-205 till done. If it is for other people, I’d have to give it to the dogs and start over.

Comment

So in other words, lol, finish it and see if it gives me the Hershey squirts?

Comment

I guess those gadgets don't give you a time when the error hit?

It was cool here today so I'd have no problem putting it in the oven and finishing it off....not sure about Houston. If its got a good bark on a Traegar it was on for a good while

Comment

You will probably be fine to continue cooking it until done. However though, I would throw it out as it's not worth taking the chance of getting sick.

Comment

Smoke is a preservative. It'll be fine.
            My Flickr Photos

Comment

^^^This

Comment

Ok. So I put it back on at 1800. Got the temp set at *250 so it can continue to cook slow. I’ll stick a thermometer in it before I head off to work at 2200. I guess I’ll feed the boys at work tonight lol. Don’t call 911 in District IV tonight, we may all be on the toilet and unable to answer calls.

Comment

If nothing else it should strengthen your immune system. Seriously though, it will be fine. Two generations ago would be laughing at us.

Comment

It will be fine. Throw it in the oven and finish it off.

Comment

I wouldn’t think twice about eating it.

Comment

Should be fine unless you put a tempature prob.

Comment

so ill see what it taste like later. After it finished in the oven tonight I pulled it, let it cool and put it in the fridge for later. I am hoping it got enough smoke to give it a good flavor but I am pretty sure based off of the color when I realized the smoker was off. I am thinking it must have smoked from 0600 to about 1400 or so, 8 hours of smoke should have been plenty and I think I caught it right as it was cooled, just not finished cooking.

Comment

I wouldn't, a $12 pork butt isn't worth risking food poisioning. Buy another and start over.

Comment

I know I would eat it for sure

Comment

Working...
                              X