Unit 52 New Mexico

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unit 52 New Mexico

A buddy and I were drawn for the second archery season in unit 52. We are planning to camp from a wall tent and hike into a spot each day. Does anyone have any experience with this unit and can recommend an area? Any tips are appreciated and feel free to PM if you want

We will be in 50 at the same time.

Comment

No help here but a good luck!!! Great unit and a perfect season!

Comment

Congrats on drawing a limited entry tag in New Mexico. Can you describe what research you have done to date? Most folks are more apt to help, if they see that have laid some type of ground work. Otherwise they might feel like you are looking to obtain hard earned intel, w/o putting forth much effort.

Comment

Originally posted by simek View Post
          Congrats on drawing a limited entry tag in New Mexico. Can you describe what research you have done to date? Most folks are more apt to help, if they see that have laid some type of ground work. Otherwise they might feel like you are looking to obtain hard earned intel, w/o putting forth much effort.
          I’ve spent a lot of time looking at maps and looking at forums. I’ve never stepped foot in the unit but I applied for it because I hear it has a high quantity of elk but not necessarily a trophy unit. I’ve been applying for any species in NM for several years and this is my first time drawing. I’ve been thinking at San Antonio Mtn but I think I would prefer something more wooded. Las Cruces Wilderness seems really good but I’ve read its really crowded so I don’t know. Thanks for any insight if you have any.

Comment

Sent you a PM.

Comment

Saw elk every day on S.A. mountain glassing from a few miles away, if you plan to go that route, don't plan on accessing from the east side road, the natives have that locked down

A lot of road hunting goes on in that unit

Comment

Road hunting is the national past time of NM!!! ha ha ha ha

Only good thing about it, in NM in AZ, you can get away from people pretty easily.

Originally posted by gumbl3 View Post
                Saw elk every day on S.A. mountain glassing from a few miles away, if you plan to go that route, don't plan on accessing from the east side road, the natives have that locked down

A lot of road hunting goes on in that unit

Comment

I hunted the West side of S.A. Mountain and saw a lot of elk. Weather was fairly warm when i was there so they were up high. Good luck.

Comment

sent you a message

Comment

Thank you guys!

Comment

Working...
                      X