Mechanical for Elk/Red deer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mechanical for Elk/Red deer

Shooting a 420 grain arrow at approx 285 FPS from my Mathews halon.

Normally shoot wasp jackhammers with excellent success. Outfitters are not fans Of mechanicals but I love them.

Was told the 3 blade rage chisel tip is the way to go.

Anyone have any experience with mechanicals on big game?

Would use a no collar +p, trypan, or no collar hypodermic. My experiences, killed zebra with the original 2 blade, and have watched 10 red deer get shot with them as well

Comment

I shot all my African game with Rage Trypans. Ph was fine with those and actually had ine of the other hunters buy a pack from me.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

I’m a mech guy for deer but that could change this year to even heavier setup with COC fixed single bevel. Even though I trust my setup with mechs I would not do so if I went on an Elk hunt, which is also in my near future. IMO it’s worth it to get a good COC fixed head that has a better chance of making two holes. Those outfitters don’t like mechs for a reason and they do it for a living... Good luck on hunt!

Comment

i'd go with the grim reapers with the this tip

should do awesome
          Attached Files

Comment

I'm a big mechanical fan but recently have when to hybrids. However, I'd stick with fixed blades for elk, the only excuse for failure will be user error with fixed. I killed my bull and african game with the QAD Exodus 125 grain with swept blades.

Comment

Originally posted by zanemanaggie View Post
              i'd go with the grim reapers with the this tip

should do awesome
              I have shot those and there my 2nd favorite. The same one with the trocar tip is better IMO.

Comment

That is a real light arrow to be shooting at real big game especially with a mech

Comment

I shot a huge aoudad with a rocket 125 steelhead
                  Passed through and stuck in ground.

Comment

I used a grim reaper on my elk this year. I went with the 1 3/8" head versus the 2" I use on whitetail.

Comment

My brother shot one with a rage hypo - did not get deep enough to kill it . Had to shoot it latter with his rifle

Comment

Check out Grizzly sticks, you will thank me later

Comment

I would listen to your outfitter and also agree your arrows sound a little light.
                          Most elk hunting is in timber, not all. I would wonder what happens to that mech. if you hit a small twig, will it deploy then ?
                          Cut on contact broadheads work great on elk. I don't like the chisel tip ones, they punch through instead of cutting.

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post
                            I would listen to your outfitter and also agree your arrows sound a little light.
                            Most elk hunting is in timber, not all. I would wonder what happens to that mech. if you hit a small twig, will it deploy then ?
                            Cut on contact broadheads work great on elk. I don't like the chisel tip ones, they punch through instead of cutting.
                            I'm hunting red deer. about 500 lbs.....big but not gigantic. Bull Elk are quite a bit bigger.

Comment

Well that certainly makes a difference.
                              Good luck on the red deer !

Comment

Working...
                              X