Murder hornet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Murder hornet

Latest Breaking News, U.S. and World Politics, Crime, Business, Science, Technology, Autos, Entertainment, Culture, Movie, Music, Sports.

Yikes.

I've seen the black and yeller hornets of N. America. Have seen the hornets passing through here in Texas as well. Even seen the hives hanging in trees 50 foot off the ground up north. And have seen hornets about the same size as in that pic. But to have an additional species is not good. Honey bees in N. America are having a hard enough time as it is without something hunting them down and killing a nest out.

Some of the beer joints and bars up north have hives collected during the winter hanging above the bars as conversation pieces. It's easy to collect them during the winter as they are all inside and inactive. All you gotta do is plug the bottom hole.

Comment

I’ve seen videos of those things in Japan - terrifying. I wonder how in the heck they got to Canada and Washington state?

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
        I’ve seen videos of those things in Japan - terrifying. I wonder how in the heck they got to Canada and Washington state?
        Trade winds...……
        I may have to double up, on my Epi-Pen dosage...…..

Comment

We actually dont want honey bees.. they're like the hogs of the pollinator world. They hurt natural pollinators.

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
            You ever been up that way? Lots of asians made themselves at home there, probably found there way over as an exotic pet would be my guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Hooverfb View Post
              We actually dont want honey bees.. they're like the hogs of the pollinator world. They hurt natural pollinators.
              Explain

I thought honey bees were a natural, beneficial species and here you say they are invasive?

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
                Explain

I thought honey bees were a natural, beneficial species and here you say they are invasive?
                Thats what i was always told as well. However They are not native to the u.s. and compete with native bees. Google makes it a point to note that white people brought them over.

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
                  Thats what i was always told as well. However They are not native to the u.s. and compete with native bees. Google makes it a point to note that white people brought them over.
                  True story. Honey bees are not native to North America. But since they helped displace native bees they have become the main pollinator here.Now they are in danger of being displaced themselves.

Comment

Love how the media said in other Countries they kill 50 people each year!!!

I had to shake my head...Let me google how many people die here each year from bee stings.. I bet it's more than 50

between 58 and 62 in the USA.. Less than I thought.

Comment

Originally posted by sailor View Post
                      Trade winds...……
                      I may have to double up, on my Epi-Pen dosage...…..
                      Yikes, I hope you won't need it.

Comment

Two of the worst wasps on the planet from what I have gotten out of watching documentaries, are some wasp from Australia, naturally, everything over there is bad. Then those murder hornets from Japan. I don't remember which is considered worse, both very bad, very aggressive.

I have also been told by my father in law, who is not always exactly correct. That there is some large wasp that burrows holes in trees up in the north west, that is bad news. It's supposed to be very large, makes holes up in the tops of pine trees or other tall timber and not something you ever want to make mad. He used to be a logger up in Oregon many years ago. He said those wasps were not something you ever wanted to run into when you were way up a tree, cutting the top or even cutting a tree down, then cutting or moving it around.

Comment

Tracker Jackers. Government engineered killers.

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
                            Explain

Honey bees will be fine. It's the other 3,999 species of bees in North America we need to worry about.

Comment

Thanks for the link, interesting

Comment

Working...
                              X