Electrician Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electrician Question

I am installing a service for my barn. I have URD Syracuse that I'm using for the 100A service about 220' run or so.

That being said, I have the panel inside my barn and had planned on running up to the panel directly with the URD.

I'm reading that that's not the standard with URD cable, however some say it's a matter of interpretation.

Does anyone have specific experience with this? Is it okay to run the URD to feed a service located on the inside of a structure?

Thanks for the help.

Originally posted by 12RingKing View Post
    I am installing a service for my barn. I have URD Syracuse that I'm using for the 100A service about 220' run or so.

That being said, I have the panel inside my barn and had planned on running up to the panel directly with the URD.

I'm reading that that's not the standard with URD cable, however some say it's a matter of interpretation.

Does anyone have specific experience with this? Is it okay to run the URD to feed a service located on the inside of a structure?

Thanks for the help.
    Technically no, but there's probably no less than a million structures in Texas, wired that way.
    Put a little Penetrox or othe anti-ox on it, and you're good.

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
      Technically no, but there's probably no less than a million structures in Texas, wired that way.
      Put a little Penetrox or othe anti-ox on it, and you're good.
      I’m familiar with needing the penetrox on the lugs for aluminum, and I appreciate the heads up on that too. There are lots of people who forget that step.

Thank you for your input as well.

Comment

I struggled with the same thing when building my shop. 2 runs of 200amps ( machine shop ) over 200' was too expensive with copper. Ended up running URD to a junction box on outside wall and splicing to copper to go inside shop. For me it killed 2 birds with one stone. The 350mcm alu wire was too big to fit the lugs in the 200a box anyway.

On edit, not an electrician.

Comment

I can tell you from non-electrician experience, make sure your wire is rated to handle those little extra load surges, ran about 100' of aluminum to a barn that 100 amp running a welder and other items over the years it got to where it was tripping breakers and other problems, got bad enough I finally bit the bullet and went with copper, that fixed the problems.

Comment

Sleeve it with a piece of sch. 80 pvc and be done. Also that wire isn’t rated to be encased in concrete. Do sleeve it thru the slab as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Also what size are you running for 100a. Also need a separate ground wire for a sub panel

Comment

Originally posted by FLASH_OUTDOORS View Post
                Also what size are you running for 100a. Also need a separate ground wire for a sub panel

I’m running Syracuse URD. It’s 2/0,2/0,2/0,1 quadruplex.

We are running a 100a service to my barn. We are running it from a 200a feed through panel where my service is installed and it’s about 215’ run total. I had a 320a service installed for my home, barn, and possibly a future guest home.
                Last edited by 12RingKing; 05-22-2020, 07:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by miket View Post
                  I struggled with the same thing when building my shop. 2 runs of 200amps ( machine shop ) over 200' was too expensive with copper. Ended up running URD to a junction box on outside wall and splicing to copper to go inside shop. For me it killed 2 birds with one stone. The 350mcm alu wire was too big to fit the lugs in the 200a box anyway.

On edit, not an electrician.
                  This is what people are claiming I need to do, basically claiming URD can’t enter a structure.

However, I would rather not if I can get away with it safely.

Comment

I’m running Syracuse URD. It’s 2/0,2/0,2/0,1 quadruplex.

We are running a 100a service to my barn. We are running it from a 200a feed through panel where my service is installed and it’s about 215’ run total. I had a 320a service installed for my home, barn, and possibly a future guest home.

You said feed through panel, are you not feeding the shop with a breaker?

Comment

Electrician Question

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                      You said feed through panel, are you not feeding the shop with a breaker?

Mike is right. If you come off the feedthru panel to the 100 amp panel in the shop, the main will be 200a. You will need to change the main in the feedthru to 100a. Or run 250kcmil to the shop. And leave 200main

Comment

I’m using a 100a breaker. The feed through would be for a separate building at some point, maybe.

Comment

Electrician Question

I’m using a 100a breaker. The feed through would be for a separate building at some point, maybe.

You will have a difficult time terminating the 2/0 on that 100a 2pole breaker. Look on the breaker it will tell you the max wire for that lug. You could use some 2hole inline Polaris taps in the panel and step down to a smaller gauge copper wire to terminate on the 100a breaker.

Comment

Originally posted by FLASH_OUTDOORS View Post
                            You will have a difficult time terminating the 2/0 on that 100a 2pole breaker. Look on the breaker it will tell you the max wire for that lug. You could use some 2hole inline Polaris taps in the panel and step down to a smaller gauge copper wire to terminate on the 100a breaker.

Schneider electric claims it’ll fit a 2/0 aluminum conductor in this breaker. I’m sure it may be a little snug though, but I’ve never had issues with them misrepresenting sizes before.

Comment

So the consensus would be that if I put it in conduit that I’m okay for the entrance to a panel inside a barn?

Panel is located on the inside of an exterior wall, so it would not have much exposure inside the building.

Comment

Working...
                              X