TexasBowhunter.com Community  Discussion Forums

TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums (https://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/index.php)
-   Around the Campfire (https://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Terrell County Hunting (https://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=680731)

SabreKiller 10-10-2018 09:34 AM

I was out there this past weekend. Rained like heck on Saturday as I was making the round trip back from Kerrville. Several places the road into our lease was washed out and made for an interesting drive.

Mosquitoes were BAD. Probably the worst I've ever seen out there. I'ts green everywhere. Saw a few deer and pulled camera cards before breaking an axle on my UTV. :mad: I had several really good bucks last year on camera prior to the season. Saw one on opening day and they didn't reappear until the last weekend of the season. They're not on camera this year as of yet. I hope to see how they came out. One was a very nice 10 point/4.5 year old. The other a 9 point/4.5 year old. They're on the hitlist for this year if they show up.

Camera showed a lot of pigs at two stand locations. At one, not a deer showed up for 30 days because of the hogs. I'm thinking it's time to buy a thermal and start killing them because they don't seem to show up in daylight when I'm there.

texsdr 10-10-2018 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ckrue06 (Post 13686490)
Hey Terrell_county, do you mind saying who owns the ranch? Have an uncle who owns about 11k acres out there. It’s not the Hagelstein ranch is it? Best of luck hunting!

I am personal friend with Ele, Carlton, Chris and Eldora. The "Holmes Ranch is East of the Hagelstein. Harry Holmes.

texan4ut 10-10-2018 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SabreKiller (Post 13687963)
I was out there this past weekend. Rained like heck on Saturday as I was making the round trip back from Kerrville. Several places the road into our lease was washed out and made for an interesting drive.

Mosquitoes were BAD. Probably the worst I've ever seen out there. I'ts green everywhere. Saw a few deer and pulled camera cards before breaking an axle on my UTV. :mad: I had several really good bucks last year on camera prior to the season. Saw one on opening day and they didn't reappear until the last weekend of the season. They're not on camera this year as of yet. I hope to see how they came out. One was a very nice 10 point/4.5 year old. The other a 9 point/4.5 year old. They're on the hitlist for this year if they show up.

Camera showed a lot of pigs at two stand locations. At one, not a deer showed up for 30 days because of the hogs. I'm thinking it's time to buy a thermal and start killing them because they don't seem to show up in daylight when I'm there.

I was out at my lease in Terrell county last week. Left on Friday so I missed the rain thank goodness. It is green out there.

Ckrue06 10-10-2018 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texsdr (Post 13688083)
I am personal friend with Ele, Carlton, Chris and Eldora. The "Holmes Ranch is East of the Hagelstein. Harry Holmes.

Really? Do you mind me grabbing your name? I’m marrying in to the family. I am marrying Dennise’s daughter. She’s also Carlton and Ele’s sister. I actually asked Dennise where the Holmes ranch was and after she told me I knew exactly where it was. Just looking at your profile picture, do you do the fly overs on the ranch with Ele?

Ckrue06 10-16-2018 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ckrue06 (Post 13688840)
Really? Do you mind me grabbing your name? I’m marrying in to the family. I am marrying Dennise’s daughter. She’s also Carlton and Ele’s sister. I actually asked Dennise where the Holmes ranch was and after she told me I knew exactly where it was. Just looking at your profile picture, do you do the fly overs on the ranch with Ele?

I got your message, I just can’t reply because I am too “new” to the forum!

bps3040 10-19-2018 11:41 AM

My buddy got a 9 with a few sticker at base. We only bowhunt, one of the bigger bucks we have shot. I plan on shooting a 10 in December:)
It rained 4 days straight. It was tough getting in and out.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...56b6959f96.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...68f172e61b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SabreKiller 10-19-2018 11:46 AM

Nice mulie! Congrats to the hunter.

Terrell_County 10-20-2018 07:21 PM

Nice mulie

TXBRASS 10-21-2018 01:09 AM

Heck yeah!!!

TXBRASS 10-22-2018 02:45 PM

Anyone go out this past weekend?

SabreKiller 10-22-2018 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TXBRASS (Post 13722676)
Anyone go out this past weekend?

I've heard of a couple of guys that went. I haven't heard how they did other than it was pretty muddy and everything is very green.

My UTV is outta action until the repairman gets back from California this Friday. I don't think he'll have it fixed by opening weekend. And I cant' go the second weekend either. Looks like it'll gonna be mid November. :mad:

texan4ut 10-22-2018 03:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Pictures I got back from my Coverts shows it is dry as of this morning.

mattfox 10-22-2018 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ckrue06 (Post 13687043)
I figured I might find someone on here who was hunting around the Hagelstein ranch! How close is the Holmes? I know the Brown and Walker ranches our there but never heard of the Holmes. I’m sure Ele (the owner and operator) knows exactly where you are. Best of luck out there! I’ll be out that way to shoot a doe or two at some point this season. Are you able to shoot mule deer on your lease? Also been seeing some STUD bull elk running around out there.

Yes we can shoot Mulies. I usually come in off of Hardgrave road. We go thru the Walker, Were the road Y's on the Conex Ranch (or what ever its called now) its the ranch with the big runway on it, you can go right and go to the Haglestein or left and go to Holmes.

Mike Murphey 10-22-2018 03:59 PM

I bow hunted the Hagelstein Ranch for a long time.....I saw Chris in Menard a few years ago, I guess they still have the ranch in Hamilton...Haven't heard from Eli Chris since he got married and moved to New Mexico.....I would imagine Carlton is selling something big....

Ckrue06 10-22-2018 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Murphey (Post 13722954)
I bow hunted the Hagelstein Ranch for a long time.....I saw Chris in Menard a few years ago, I guess they still have the ranch in Hamilton...Haven't heard from Eli Chris since he got married and moved to New Mexico.....I would imagine Carlton is selling something big....

Yes sir, they still have the place in Hamilton as well. Really pretty country out there. Ele Chris is in Sanderson, running the ranch there! Funny how little of a world it is out here.

SabreKiller 10-24-2018 03:26 PM

I started another thread on this, but....

I talked with Terrell County Road and Bridge today about the road into our lease and unfortunately its a private road so they won't work on it. I pretty much knew it was private, but wanted to verify it.

Anyway, he did say that Chandler Road and 5 Mile Road near Dryden are washed out. I'm not sure how many of you use those roads, but I thought i would at least put the information out there.

bps3040 10-24-2018 03:45 PM

5 mile is always bad after a rain

Texas Kidd 10-24-2018 09:55 PM

I'm heading out next week on opening for rifle. Went out there 2 weeks ago with bow and struck out. It's too **** green out there.

SabreKiller 10-25-2018 10:09 AM

My UTV is broke down and the road into the ranch is washed out so we've got someone to fix the road, but I still can't make it until at least the 17th. I'm bummed over it.

bps3040 10-25-2018 10:14 AM

I will be back out in Dec. I try to bowhunt the last 10 days of rifle season. Most gun hunters are gone by then. A lot of time the bucks start chasing doe the last few days of season

Texas Kidd 10-25-2018 11:22 AM

I'm hearing hearsay that rut activity has been seen. I doubt it, rut in Dryden is never this early. Any of you fellas have some input on this?

SabreKiller 10-25-2018 11:33 AM

Not a chance that's happening now. It won't get kicked off good until Thanksgiving.

Texas Kidd 10-25-2018 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SabreKiller (Post 13731862)
Not a chance that's happening now. It won't get kicked off good until Thanksgiving.

That's what I say. Thanksgiving to early December.

SabreKiller 10-25-2018 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texas Kidd (Post 13731899)
That's what I say. Thanksgiving to early December.

I usually start seeing the bigger bucks around December 8-13 time period. Last year, all of my big bucks disappeared after opening weekend and didn't reappear until the last weekend of the season. But, they were still after the does a little bit.

TXBRASS 10-28-2018 07:53 PM

Kiddos picked about 40 pounds of acorns for
me today. Thinking about scattering them in the feed pen in Dryden when we head that way. Guessing those deer have never even seen an acorn, so not sure if it will help or hurt. Ur thoughts?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...64f0e033aa.jpg

Terrell_County 11-01-2018 12:11 PM

Did some gun hunting this week. Saw a few nice bucks.

TXBRASS 11-01-2018 12:14 PM

Nice bucks! Crazy how green it is out there in those pics.

JeffK 11-01-2018 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TXBRASS (Post 13740167)
Kiddos picked about 40 pounds of acorns for
me today. Thinking about scattering them in the feed pen in Dryden when we head that way. Guessing those deer have never even seen an acorn, so not sure if it will help or hurt. Ur thoughts?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...64f0e033aa.jpg

There are scrub oaks trees/bushes on the mountains, but their acorns are much smaller.

Ckrue06 11-01-2018 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattfox (Post 13686780)
Hagelstein, you are my neighbor. We hunt the Holmes

Did you get my PM? Still a “new member” so I’m not sure if it sent or not.

mattfox 11-01-2018 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ckrue06 (Post 13751370)
Did you get my PM? Still a “new member” so I’m not sure if it sent or not.

Yes sir. Just replied

TXBRASS 11-07-2018 10:23 AM

Terrell County Hunting 2018-2019

Looks like we may get that hard freeze we need out there Tue, Wed, and Thurs nights of next week. Low shows 34 and its always 8-10 degrees colder that forecasted lows on our place. Praying it freezes hard to kill all the green so they hit the feeders.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...9bde7ee3ed.jpg

texsdr 11-07-2018 10:27 AM

I sat this weekend and did witness some mature bucks following doe's with the open mouth sniffing, nose to the ground.

TXBRASS 11-07-2018 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texsdr (Post 13766438)
I sat this weekend and did witness some mature bucks following doe's with the open mouth sniffing, nose to the ground.

Wow.... we usually see that first week of December.

SabreKiller 11-07-2018 11:11 AM

I saw some bucks nosing the does and moving them around last year just before Thanksgiving. I wound up taking a really nice 8 at 302 yards with my 7/08. I was proud of that deer cuz I'd been trying to get that 7/08 to to shoot and finally broke down and had it bedded and trigger job done. It's a shooter now.

Other lease members are going out this weekend. Me and the GF are going the 17-20th. I think it will be a little early for the big boys and I'm going to hold out for any one of the three that I had hanging around last year prior to the season. They disappeared after opening weekend but showed back up the last weekend. Unfortunately, I'd already killed my mature buck and was left to whacking culls.

Not this year! LOL! I'll eat tag soup if I have to. I'm not sure what the lion situation has done to the area around my stand either.

Texas Kidd 11-08-2018 11:01 AM

I'll be out there from the 16-18th. Hopefully this cold weather helps. Only saw a doe on opening weekend and she was not interested in the corn.

SabreKiller 11-08-2018 02:31 PM

Well, last year it was hotter than blue blazes opening weekend and I didn't see anything good either. Like I said in earlier post I'll be out there 17-20 and I hope things are moving a little better. Other guys will be at the lease this weekend and I hope to get a report from them when they get back.

The good side to all of this is they've got really good forage going into the fall and winter months and that should help produce some pretty good antlers next year as well as help with body weight.

TXBRASS 11-08-2018 02:32 PM

We gonna get that freeze!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...b2fa9d6a5e.jpg

Texas Kidd 11-08-2018 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SabreKiller (Post 13769968)
Well, last year it was hotter than blue blazes opening weekend and I didn't see anything good either. Like I said in earlier post I'll be out there 17-20 and I hope things are moving a little better. Other guys will be at the lease this weekend and I hope to get a report from them when they get back.

The good side to all of this is they've got really good forage going into the fall and winter months and that should help produce some pretty good antlers next year as well as help with body weight.

Let us know when you get a report from your partners.

SabreKiller 11-08-2018 03:10 PM

Will do. I just hope they stay away from my blind/feeder. I want a shot at one of those lions if possible!

TXBRASS 11-12-2018 12:23 PM

Anyone go out this weekend?