Caddo Lake NWR?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Caddo Lake NWR?

Anyone know anything about hunting this place? I did a search and found nothing on here. I don't recall seeing it on the draws from the previous few years either. Looks like it may have been open for bowhunting previously but not under the tpwd draw system.

My son got drawn for the youth rifle hunt on 11/18-11/21. He's 13 and never shot a buck(other than a nubbin buck) and this is an either sex hunt so he would have a chance at least but no idea what this place is like. He also drew Chapparral Doe/spike/pig/javelina hunt for that same weekend. Obviously if it was an either sex hunt we'd head to the Chap but he really wants a decent buck so hoping there might be a decent shot at getting one in the Caddo NWR.

Tagging for general information. My buddy and I drew the squirrel hunt in January! Will be a lot of fun, but I don't know anything about the place.

Best of luck to your son! Hopefully we get some LDP's!

Sent from my SM-N9600 using Tapatalk

Comment

In for info as well on the Caddo youth or any adult hunts.

FYI the fed places don't let you use bait. Chap is a fun hunt even with out a buck tag and have adjacent camping grounds. He will likely have better success at an animal there.

I am curious how this years hunts will run, as it looks like there will e open archery hunts on the place before hand.

Comment

Thanks. Chap would be awesome but he’s just trying to get that first buck(not a spike) and at least he has a chance of it at Caddo. Not expecting an easy hunt w it being open to archery hunting all of October but i’m hoping we can get in there and find some deer. Also it is a 4 day hunt which gives us quite a bit of time in the woods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I usually hunt there every year. Its a cool place with some history, you can go see where they had the bunkers and old buidings from when it was an ammo plant. They also have a visitor center where they go through the history of the ammo plant. You'll have to find a place to stay on Caddo Lake or a RV park as that state park is always full or you can stay in Marshall.

Comment

I can give you some info if you want, shoot me a PM.

Comment

I don't think you will have to worry to much about pressure from the archery hunts, I was there opening weekend and there were only 2 other hunters there all weekend.
              Thermacell is a must here! lots of mosquitos and huge biting flies.
              I stayed in a cabin at the State park.

Comment

Originally posted by txbowhunter31 View Post
                I don't think you will have to worry to much about pressure from the archery hunts, I was there opening weekend and there were only 2 other hunters there all weekend.
                Thermacell is a must here! lots of mosquitos and huge biting flies.
                I stayed in a cabin at the State park.
                thanks for the info!

Comment

We rv camp there a lot. Backwater Jacks is a nice private park. We haven’t had any problems lately getting into the state park.

Comment

Working...
                  X