TexasBowhunter.com Community  Discussion Forums

TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums (https://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/index.php)
-   Around the Campfire (https://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   knife sharpening help... (https://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=794861)

alien_scones 05-12-2021 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rubi513 (Post 15614964)
So many better options out there.

What did you eventually end up with?

Big Lee 05-12-2021 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rubi513 (Post 15614964)
Yes you can...
Cheap blades, itís fine, but they remove way too much metal. I sold mine after 2 weeks of owning it.
So many better options out there.

Well..... list the better options...

Rubi513 05-13-2021 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alien_scones (Post 15615020)
What did you eventually end up with?

I use stones. Shapton Glass and Naniwa.

Rubi513 05-13-2021 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Lee (Post 15615128)
Well..... list the better options...

Stones if you’re willing to learn.

Warthog, spyderco, & Wicked edge are easier and work very well.
None will remove the amount of metal that a Work sharp will.

Big Lee 05-14-2021 05:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rubi513 (Post 15615706)
Stones if youíre willing to learn.

Warthog, spyderco, & Wicked edge are easier and work very well.
None will remove the amount of metal that a Work sharp will.

My go to is my Arkansas trip hone. However in the OP's situation a better user friendly option is needed. Will check into some of these you mentioned. One can not have too many knife sharpeners

Casey 06-03-2021 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bakin7005 (Post 15373258)
Thank me later.... https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...9d9dfa65e9.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I have the electric Worksharp and love it. I bought the above one based on the recommendation here and that is a great little sharpener. I've had it for a while and have not really used it. Got it out the other day and am really happy.

SmTx 11-24-2021 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bakin7005 (Post 15373258)
Thank me later.... https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...9d9dfa65e9.jpg

After using 4 knifes to clean one deer last week I was bound and determined to spend however much I had to on a sharpener. I have a worksharp and user error I'm not in love with it.

I ordered one of these yesterday and tonight I've taken several knifes from rounded blades to shaving.

So... Thanks!

DK1555 11-24-2021 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiger (Post 15372419)
i have bought so many knife sharpening gimmicks since i had a stroke i couldnt sharpen a knife to save my soul has anyone had luck with the warthog vsharp i have something similar but it just doesnt work that well im tired of asking people to sharpen my knife for me i used arkansas wet stone before but i just cant use them anymore

PM sent, I got one you can have right down the road if I can find it. If your still interested.

SJP51 11-25-2021 06:03 AM

I can't sharpen anything free-hand on a stone or steel. Has to have fixed angles or something similar.

I have a Warthog v-sharp and bought them for my daughters. It works well on the kitchen knives and is easy to use and works well. I know that changing the little steel holders is a tad challenging and does require some dexterity. If you've had a stroke, will you be able to use it? But I would not suggest it for use in the field.

The Warthog V-Curve also works well and is much simpler to use.

I sharpen my 2-blade broadheads with a Rada and strop to get shaving sharp results using a very light pressure draw stroke. It is REALLY simple. Should work on a knife just as well and easy to use in the field if needed.

Best of luck on your choice.

cva34 11-25-2021 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Viejo (Post 15373167)
Box cutter is the easiest thing to use on hogs. The only time you need something bigger is on splitting the pelvis. I can usually find it with a box cutter on a deer, but for some reason the hogs are harder to hit, at least for me.

Used box cutter for years...

Big pig 11-25-2021 07:46 AM

I struggle to get mine razor sharp

I took my hard-to-sharpen ďBuckĒ knives to ACE hardware and they sharpened with a laser sharpener in about 2 minutes.

We will see how it lasts in the field soon.

twosixteens 11-25-2021 08:07 AM

The Warthog works pretty decent with you disability it would be a good choice in my opinion. If we were closer I would volunteer to sharpen em for ya just to listen to some of your stories about cars.

Rubi513 11-25-2021 11:20 AM

Fixed blade systems such as KME, Warthog, and Edge Pro are fairly easy to learn to get a good edge with.
I prefer to use wet stones, but you have to have patience to learn free hand.

SJP51 11-25-2021 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rubi513 (Post 15955970)
Fixed blade systems such as KME, Warthog, and Edge Pro are fairly easy to learn to get a good edge with.
I prefer to use wet stones, but you have to have patience to learn free hand.

I once had to wait for 5 seconds in line to get a snow cone. This exhuasted all the patience I ever had, and explains my inability to sharpen knives. :D

Rubi513 11-25-2021 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SJP51 (Post 15956016)
I once had to wait for 5 seconds in line to get a snow cone. This exhuasted all the patience I ever had, and explains my inability to sharpen knives. :D

Just realized I have already posted on this threadÖ
I will take lack of patience over forgetfulnessÖ:D

Strummer 11-25-2021 12:07 PM

I have a work sharp, wart hog v sharp and a wicked edge . I prefer the wicked edge .

oktx 11-26-2021 09:51 AM

I have the WS it works great for me, but I don't use high dollar knives. I don't know that I would use it for expensive knives.

Bisch 11-26-2021 10:23 AM

knife sharpening help...

This is the best thing I have ever bought and used to sharpen kitchen and pocket knives:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...03f65639d2.jpg

It works GREAT, and I even use it to sharpen my 2-blade German Kinetic broadheads!!!!!

Disclaimer: it will only work on 2-blade broadheads that you can remove the blade from the ferrule.

After using this machine, knives will effortlessly slice thru tomatoes, and broadheads will easily shave hair from your arms!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Snowflake Killa 11-26-2021 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bisch (Post 15957219)
This is the best thing I have ever bought and used to sharpen kitchen and pocket knives:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...03f65639d2.jpg

It works GREAT, and I even use it to sharpen my 2-blade German Kinetic broadheads!!!!!

Disclaimer: it will only work on 2-blade broadheads that you can remove the blade from the ferrule.

After using this machine, knives will effortlessly slice thru tomatoes, and broadheads will easily shave hair from your arms!!!

Bisch

This ^^ End of story

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

laredoarcher 11-26-2021 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sasqy (Post 15373484)
Just buy a Havalon or Outdoor edge !
Scalpel sharp every time.

Best advice right here. Agree 100 percent.

MadHatter 11-26-2021 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snowflake Killa (Post 15957236)
This ^^ End of story

I would never put a knife in one of those.
What do ya'll do when you don't have one of these gizmos, or replacement blades for your Havalons?
Sharpening a knife is such a simple thing, I don't understand the reluctance to learn :confused:.

bakin7005 11-26-2021 02:05 PM

I've owned lots of sharpeners. This is a MUST have in the field but I sharpen everything with it at home. Best $30 you'll spend. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...b56b0057f1.jpg

Bisch 11-26-2021 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MadHatter (Post 15957313)
What do ya'll do when you don't have one of these gizmos, or replacement blades for your Havalons?
Sharpening a knife is such a simple thing, I don't understand the reluctance to learn :confused:.

Well, Mr Holier Sharpener than thou, some of us canít get it, no matter how much we try. Iím almost 61yrs old. Iíve tried dozens of gadgets and ways to sharpen knives over the years, and I just canít get it. On the few sharpeners I have been able to figure out a little, it still takes me forever to get a really sharp blade. The electric sharpener I posted above is a dang good machine that works awesome and makes blades shaving sharp in a very short time.

So you keep doing what you do, and Iíll keep doing what I do, and weíll all be happy.

And btw, if you read the OP, he said he was unable to use most regular sharpeners due to him having a stroke. I put forward a great option for him!!!!!

Bisch

Snowflake Killa 11-27-2021 04:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MadHatter (Post 15957313)

[emoji1787][emoji1787]

PlanoDano 11-27-2021 04:37 AM

Sharp maker or Work Sharp angle set. Anyone can sharpen very sharp with these except for some steels like S90v an M4.

MadHatter 11-27-2021 04:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bisch (Post 15957620)
Well, Mr Holier Sharpener than thou, some of us canít get it, no matter how much we try. Iím almost 61yrs old. Iíve tried dozens of gadgets and ways to sharpen knives over the years, and I just canít get it. On the few sharpeners I have been able to figure out a little, it still takes me forever to get a really sharp blade. The electric sharpener I posted above is a dang good machine that works awesome and makes blades shaving sharp in a very short time.

So you keep doing what you do, and Iíll keep doing what I do, and weíll all be happy.

And btw, if you read the OP, he said he was unable to use most regular sharpeners due to him having a stroke. I put forward a great option for him!!!!!

Bisch

Lol 👍

SmTx 11-28-2021 08:28 PM

I just ordered another worksharp field sharpener so I can leave it at the farm.

Dull knives are a thing of my past!

Rubi513 11-28-2021 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmTx (Post 15961519)
I just ordered another worksharp field sharpener so I can leave it at the farm.

Dull knives are a thing of my past!

I like that. Seems like a good way to learn how to free hand on stones.

SanSaba007 11-28-2021 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bisch (Post 15957620)

Bisch

Just ordered one Bisch. Cant wait to use it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rubi513 11-28-2021 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SanSaba007 (Post 15961718)
Just ordered one Bisch. Cant wait to use it.

I hope you have cheap knives.

Bisch 11-28-2021 10:52 PM

knife sharpening help...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rubi513 (Post 15961737)
I hope you have cheap knives.

Seeing howís you have never used this, how can you pass judgement on it??? I have cheap knives, and I have some good knives. I do not have any really expensive knives. The Chefs Choice Edge Select gets all my knives very sharp!!!!

Bisch

Rubi513 11-28-2021 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bisch (Post 15961817)
Seeing howís you have never used this, how can you pass judgement on it??? I have cheap knives, and I have some good knives. I do not have any really expensive knives. The Chefs Choice Edge Select gets all my knives very sharp!!!!

Bisch

I donít have to use it because I know how to sharpen a knifeÖ:D
Itís basically a grinderÖYou donít put a grinder on good knives. At least I donítÖI am sure it works great, if you donít mind removing a bunch of metal.

M.LUNA 12-28-2021 07:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have several of these and I use them on a variety of knives it is hands down the quickest and easiest edge I have put on multiple knives. Combined with the leather strap after a few passes you can cut air with your knife. I keep one in my hunting pack.
Attachment 1075288

lockout 12-28-2021 09:10 PM

I am certainly not an expert but I have been able to get a sharp edge on my knives using a KME knife sharpener. I also use it on my broadheads.

Rubi513 12-28-2021 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockout (Post 16015302)
I am certainly not an expert but I have been able to get a sharp edge on my knives using a KME knife sharpener. I also use it on my broadheads.

KME makes a quality sharpener.

tvc184 12-28-2021 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockout (Post 16015302)

The KME, Work Sharp Perfection, Wicked Edge and even my $20 (about 20 years old) Lansky, like all of the stick sharpeners, work great.

I only have two dislikes in them. Some of them are extremely overpriced in my opinion and I donít like the ones that need to be clamped to a table.

tvc184 12-28-2021 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M.LUNA (Post 16014981)
I have several of these and I use them on a variety of knives it is hands down the quickest and easiest edge I have put on multiple knives. Combined with the leather strap after a few passes you can cut air with your knife. I keep one in my hunting pack.
Attachment 1075288

I actually have several Rada brand knives and use these on all of them. I also use the Rada sharpener on other knives but I donít have any $200 chef knives. I do not use one on my pocket knives (use a Lansky) but Iím sure I could with good success. I understand why some people do not like them because they do take off some steel but certainly get most knives plenty good enough to use.

Thickman 12-28-2021 10:14 PM

TXraiderTK 12-28-2021 10:53 PM

Got one of the worksharp field sharpeners after seeing the posts here.
quick and easy, like it so far

Husker 12-31-2021 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuckRage (Post 15372473)
I buy the stones on Amazon. They work pretty good. Tip is once finished using the grinding side flip to the steel side and drop the angle to the next level higher to knock the edge off. Example grind at 25 degrees and steel at 30 degrees. Made huge difference for me.

Thanks! I reread directions and see Iíve been using the v-sharp wrong for 2 years. :)