Child Support Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Child Support Question

My daughter is 18 and has graduated High School which fulfills my CS obligation according to how ours was set up. On top of that, she is getting married on January 19th. The way that I understand it, my payroll withholding don't automatically stop . I was told that I either have to have a lawyer to file the paperwork to stop withholding or get some paperwork signed/notarized and filed with the District Clerk in Montgomery County. I'm curious how many on here have been through this and how you went about it. If you used a lawyer, how much did it cost? After the paperwork was filed, how long did it take to go into effect?

Mine was listed on my original decree. I provided a copy of that page to my employer and they stopped taking it out of my paycheck. I didn’t need to get a lawyer.

Comment

Dang, getting married?

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
        Dang, getting married?
        Yah... They've dated for almost 4 years and he has been in the Marines for about a year now. I wish they would wait a little longer but they are both really good kids and are adults now so I guess it is what it is. She'll be moving to North Carolina with him at the end of January.

Comment

My employer had to wait for a letter from austin. It took me calling austin and then they sent it thru pretty quick. By then several payments had been taken out but were froze in austin and check sent back to me for any overpayment. That was earlier this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Pineywoods View Post
            Yah... They've dated for almost 4 years and he has been in the Marines for about a year now. I wish they would wait a little longer but they are both really good kids and are adults now so I guess it is what it is. She'll be moving to North Carolina with him at the end of January.
            I wish them all the best.

wont be long we will be calling you Paw Paw Josh.

Comment

Originally posted by Grndchecker View Post
              Mine was listed on my original decree. I provided a copy of that page to my employer and they stopped taking it out of my paycheck. I didn’t need to get a lawyer.
              Hmmm. I'll check mine to see. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Pineywoods View Post
                If the Marine Corp wanted Marines to have a wife they would of issued them one.

At least that is what my Sgt told me.

Congratulations on the pay raise.

Comment

Mine turns 18 the first of May, im gonna take a look at what mine says as well, thanks for the advice.

Comment

Originally posted by Dillakilla View Post
                    My employer had to wait for a letter from austin. It took me calling austin and then they sent it thru pretty quick. By then several payments had been taken out but were froze in austin and check sent back to me for any overpayment. That was earlier this year.
                    Thanks... I was wondering about the over payment while it's all in limbo

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
                    I wish them all the best.

wont be long we will be calling you Paw Paw Josh.
                    Man I'm only 39! Maybe they'll wait a few years... or 10.

Comment

If your employer received a form "Income Withholding for Support" from the Attorney General's office, then I think they have to continue withholding it until they receive something to the contrary.

But if there was never an order issued to your employer and you simply requested that your employer withhold it for your own convenience, then you can just go to your employer and let them know that you no longer need them to withhold the money or send the payments. That's what I did.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtymike View Post
                        If the Marine Corp wanted Marines to have a wife they would of issued them one.

At least that is what my Sgt told me.

Congratulations on the pay raise.

Originally posted by Snakelover View Post
                        If your employer received a form "Income Withholding for Support" from the Attorney General's office, then I think they have to continue withholding it until they receive something to the contrary.

But if there was never an order issued to your employer and you simply requested that your employer withhold it for your own convenience, then you can just go to your employer and let them know that you no longer need them to withhold the money or send the payments. That's what I did.
                        I believe I set it up for convenience and don't think they received an order. That's definitely something to check on. Thanks.

Comment

I think it depends on who it was setup through. Mine was through some thing with the state cant recall what it was called. I had to go to the courthouse with the HS diploma since he graduated after his 18th. And get the judge to sign off the paperwork., Take that to the clerk and they give you a form to give to your employer to stop payment. Mine was immediate after I gave that the my payroll people. Look at your divorce decree it will have what court its from. You can call that court and ask them. I thought mine was through the AG but they looked it up and was something else.

Comment

Not to hijack the thread, but if you were to switch jobs would that cancel out withholdings from current employer, then lets say and you just decided to send payment to AG, would it stop then exactly when you wanted? Curious as I will be coming down this road as well and dont see myself at same employer when I come to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Grndchecker View Post
                              Same here but I thought Texas it stops when they graduate HS even if they are 18. I sent a copy of my daughters diploma and decree.

Comment

Working...
                              X