Slipped Rib Syndrome Anybody?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slipped Rib Syndrome Anybody?

Does anyone here suffer from slipped ribs? I started having this issue after I had a #1 right rib resection to help with my thoracic outlet syndrome. Sometimes I can go months without it happening and sometimes it happens every week. It sucks and it’s painful. Feels a lot like a broken rib right at my spine. If you have this issue, what do you do to make the pain go away or try to put the rib back into position? All I’ve found out that works is forcefully pushing on the slipped rib, on the spine end, into the corner of a wall just about as hard as I can. I’ve also relieved it a couple times by using a lat pull-down machine, pulling down hard with my left hand and stretching my right side (mine always happens rib #8 or 9 on the right side). I was curious what others do to relieve the pain. Mine is slipped right now and it makes it tough to sleep.

Man I used to get this when I was younger but it’s been a while since IT happened. I would always go to a Chiropractor but it was only once or twice a year. I think core strength improvement is what helped me long term. Sorry I don’t have a home fix, but I can agree it’s uncomfortable as hell. I was unable to left my arm straight up when it happened.

Comment

Ice and core work are your two best friends...I've had it and it sucks....

Comment

I work out on a regular basis so I have that covered. I appreciate the input!

Comment

After I finally got it figured out what it actually was, I get my wife to pop it back in to place like the chiropractor did. It was real simple after I got it fixed and learned how to do it. I had it go on for years. It would only happen when I was stressed bad or really fatigued. There was never any certain activity that would bring it on specifically. I wish I knew what started it and how to prevent it cuz that’s some real pain when it happens.

Comment

Originally posted by j-5 View Post
            after i finally got it figured out what it actually was, i get my wife to pop it back in to place like the chiropractor did. It was real simple after i got it fixed and learned how to do it. I had it go on for years. It would only happen when i was stressed bad or really fatigued. There was never any certain activity that would bring it on specifically. I wish i knew what started it and how to prevent it cuz that’s some real pain when it happens.

Comment

I had this same problem several years ago. When it happened, the pain was so arresting that taking a breath was difficult so I’d usually just ask someone to pop it back into place rather than go to my doctor.

As I understand it, this happens when the ligaments connecting your ribs to your spine become loose (which happens with age). Physical therapy exercises helped me with this. Haven’t had an occurrence in years.

Comment

How are y’all putting the rib back in place? I think since they took my top eight rib out, it allows too much movement on my right rib cage and that’s why it happened so often with me. I yawned earlier and about went to my knees from the stabbing pain!

Comment

Rib pain is no joke
                  I was dealing with this last year and it nearly cost me my season as I couldn't even pull my bow back.

Breathing exercises and cardio helped me alot.. the costocartilage is extremely avascular so the injured or damaged tissue needs all the help it can get.

Daily stretching and rib exercises are key.. believe it or not building the muscles around that costoverterbral junction will help tremendously. Try the bands for resistance and some twisting planks for core

Comment

Mine is the second from the bottom on my right side. I’ll lay on the couch and my will make a few thrusts similar to CPR on it. It won’t cure all of the pain instantly, but a lot, and within a couple of hours it’s only a little sore. I’ve had it put me on my knees when I was just standing still. Breathing all of a sudden becomes a luxury.

Comment

Originally posted by J-5 View Post
                      Mine is the second from the bottom on my right side. I’ll lay on the couch and my will make a few thrusts similar to CPR on it. It won’t cure all of the pain instantly, but a lot, and within a couple of hours it’s only a little sore. I’ve had it put me on my knees when I was just standing still. Breathing all of a sudden becomes a luxury.
                      Thrusts onto your back or chest? My understanding is that it slips in the front but the pain is in the back where it’s now tweaked on your spine.

Comment

I had this problem for a several years and used to see the chiropractor for it. It always happened to me when my allergies would flare up and it would slip out from sneezing. I wish i had advice on how i corrected it but it eventually started bothering me less. I was also lifting very heavy weights at the time, i still lift regularly but a little less weight and i've improved my cardio and core strength as well. Not sure if they're connected but i would assume they are. You are right though, pretty painful and annoying.

Comment

Originally posted by LFD2037 View Post
                          Thrusts onto your back or chest? My understanding is that it slips in the front but the pain is in the back where it’s now tweaked on your spine.
                          On the back. You need a soft surface like a couch to be able to put enough into it but not hurt anything else. Mine doesn’t take a whole lot. I just wish I had known what it was and what to do about it when it first happened 17 years ago. Sometimes I’ll go a year or longer between it happening, other times a day apart. It’s not so bad now that I’m not worried that maybe it was a slipped disc. I’ve worked through it a few long oilfield days. Pure misery.

Comment

I worked out chest @ the gym yesterday. I started w/the lat pull-down machine to stretch it really good. I also held a 75lb. dumbell in my right hand & let it hang to the left of my left thigh. Those 2 made it where I could make it thru my chest work-out & eased the pain quite a bit. Pretty sure it went back into place but there's still some pain from the muscles spasming around the affected area. I'm not a fan of chiropractors but may try it next time for this one spot. Thanks for all the input fellas & lady(ies).

Comment

I’ve had it happen probably 3 times, it sucks bad bad!! Typically last for a day m, then sore for a day then I’m good. I did not know I could pop it back in though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X