Shipping a Shotgun Receiver to Manufacturer - Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shipping a Shotgun Receiver to Manufacturer - Question

I need to ship a shotgun receiver (not the entire gun) to the manufacturer for some warranty work. The manufacturer is out of state, and I had originally intended to send the receiver back via US Postal Service registered mail, but after researching the topic I am not sure if this is legal since it will cross state lines. I am also not sure if the manufacturer can directly send the receiver back to me via US Postal Service or UPS, or would it need to be sent to an FFL licensee. If anyone has any definitive insight I would appreciate it. The manufacturer is currently closed, so I can't contact them until Monday and was hoping to get it sent off today.

I sent a barrel to an out of state manufacturer once via USPS with no issues, and it was was returned directly to me with no issues. My concern is this time I am sending the receiver, which I assume ATF considers to be a firearm, since it has the serial #, even though the barrel will not be sent. I just do not want to unknowingly break the law, so I thought the Green Screen brain trust would have some insight.

Contact the manufacturer you are shipping to for direction.

All kinds of bad advice on here when I asked the same question and even worse when you ask the shipping companies/USPS.

Comment

You can mail it out of state to a manufacturer.

Rifles and shotguns may be mailed by a non-FFL owner domestically to a FFL dealer, manufacturer, or importer in any state. These items must be mailed using a class of mail, product, or Extra Service that provides tracking and signature capture at delivery

Here is a link to complete rules

Comment

I have shipped several shotguns from texas to Arkansas to be cerakoted.

If I remember correctly, UPS will not ship guns, but FedEx does.

No issues with me shipping or the gunshop shipping the gun back to me.

Comment

The rules are different if the gun goes for "repair". I ran into this when having tubes made for my son's gun and having it shipped to him in Florida

Ultimately it was shipped to him at the range address which was a "gray" area. No ffl needed

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by CTR0022 View Post
            I have shipped several shotguns from texas to Arkansas to be cerakoted.

If I remember correctly, UPS will not ship guns, but FedEx does.

No issues with me shipping or the gunshop shipping the gun back to me.
            Both companies are now most difficult to ship firearms with if you aren’t an FFL. I would ship with my FFL if it were me. Lots easier.

Comment

Call the manufacture. They will probably will give you the details.

Manufacture will be able to ship it directly back to you.

Comment

I have sent both rifles and shotguns back to the manufacturer for various reasons. Straight to them from me. They also sent them right back to me after they did their magic. It's perfectly legal, at least according to the experts at Browning Arms. Good enough for me.

Comment

Shipping firearms through FedEx and UPS are for FFL's only now. Long guns can still ship through USPS, but their tracking and insurance sucks.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by andre3k View Post
                    Shipping firearms through FedEx and UPS are for FFL's only now. Long guns can still ship through USPS, but their tracking and insurance sucks.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk
                    Well that sucks, I was just looking at FedEx website and your right.

Comment

i just shipped(last month) an entire shotgun to Browning for warranty work. They sent me a label, i slapped it on a box and sat it outside with my other normal UPS stuff and they picked it up and delivered it. Only thing is on return shipping requires an adult signature to receive it so you need to set up delivery notifications on, so you know to be home.

you mfg is an FFL have them send you a label, on return it doesnt have to go to an FFL just has to cone from one.
                      Last edited by Texans42; 03-18-2023, 08:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X