TexasBowhunter.com Community  Discussion Forums

TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums (https://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/index.php)
-   Public Hunting Opportunities (https://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   2018 LBJ Grasslands (https://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=695920)

Jtaps 11-14-2018 05:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RShockley (Post 13781692)
Finally got it done on LBJ. Got off work Monday morning and headed out. Got out there at about 8am. I found an empty unit that I havenít hunted before and started scouting. The deer were up moving really well all morning. Found a really good area with some very fresh buck sign. I ended up following a scrape line until there was a small opening with a trail through a thick briar patch. I decided to give it a full send and belly crawled through the small opening. Whe I got to the other side the area was littered with fresh side and even just smelt like deer. I used some dead fall to create a small blind along with a few bushes surrounding a clump of trees. It wasnít 20 minutes later that I saw this buck 50 yards away. He was making fresh scrapes and grunting up a storm. Stayed within 50 yards of me with no idea I was there for 30 minutes and the made the wrong turn down the path leading to me. Shot him at 15 yards. Hadnít had a chance to sight in the new scope on my slug gun and issues with my bow put me using buckshot out of my duck gun. It did the job and he only made it about 20 yards before stopping. I new it was a decent hit as he stumbled several times just to cover that 20 yards. It took me about 30 minutes to really process everything and calm down enough to go over to him. A pretty nice public land buck and my first ever buck. Dropped him off to be processed at Cutting Edge Processing and caped for the taxidermist. Going to get a shoulder mount done on him. 8 points with a cool little bent over point on the right side. Looks like he injured it while in velvet.

Good job Rich. Now we can ge to the real task at hand. Getting out with Archer and getting those quackers!

RShockley 11-14-2018 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jtaps (Post 13784925)
Good job Rich. Now we can ge to the real task at hand. Getting out with Archer and getting those quackers!

Started my scouting this morning. Wow do we have a lot of water right now. Some of the areas we used to hunt that havenít had enough water the past few years might now have to much water to hunt in. Searching for some new areas. Might also try to go fill some doe permits in the National Forests.

Jtaps 11-14-2018 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RShockley (Post 13785741)
Started my scouting this morning. Wow do we have a lot of water right now. Some of the areas we used to hunt that havenít had enough water the past few years might now have to much water to hunt in. Searching for some new areas. Might also try to go fill some doe permits in the National Forests.

If you remember the first spots we hunted at Roberts they are good. Less walking

troy_w_7 11-14-2018 11:55 AM

How many ft/yards are we supposed to be hunting from private land? And what's the best way to contact land owners should a deer jump onto private? Just call the game warden?

RShockley 11-14-2018 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by troy_w_7 (Post 13786097)
How many ft/yards are we supposed to be hunting from private land? And what's the best way to contact land owners should a deer jump onto private? Just call the game warden?

I believe it is 150 yards from all roads, designated trails, or forest service boundaries. If game crosses a property line Just contact the game warden.

Ironman 11-16-2018 02:08 PM

Controlled burns starting today through Sunday in units 31, 30 and 74 near Tandra Point.

troy_w_7 11-16-2018 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ironman (Post 13791816)
Controlled burns starting today through Sunday in units 31, 30 and 74 near Tandra Point.

You seeing them run around your place at all?

Ironman 11-16-2018 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by troy_w_7 (Post 13791898)
You seeing them run around your place at all?

I usually don't see the bigger ones in daylight. I have seen small ones and spikes harassing the does though. I need to go check my cameras, as the rut is when I get the big ones on camera.

JohnEdward 11-17-2018 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jsmith_FO01 (Post 13781971)
I saw where you were asking about Oklahoma hunting info. I have a lease in Northern Oklahoma. Not sure on WMA hunting but for Non-Resident Archery its $300.

Thanks!

JohnEdward 11-18-2018 07:46 AM

May have lost a camera in the burn lol I didnt realize they would burn right in the middle of deer season. Guess I will see when I get back in town.

JohnEdward 11-18-2018 07:47 AM

Why wouldn't they burn in Jan and Feb before the green up. It's the freaking rut for crying out loud.

Texas Grown 11-18-2018 08:30 AM

First priority, safety of area's peoples, and forest service lands. It will be even more dry out there later. Potential for fire goes way up. Weather and wind has a lot to do with days and places they burn. Wind has to be right. Fire dept has to be available. They have limited resources too. Lots of variables to getting it done when the opportunity arises.

Our ability to hunt out there is just a spin-off of what those lands were meant for. They have lots of other uses/purposes too.

IkemanTX 11-18-2018 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeholley (Post 13795426)
Why wouldn't they burn in Jan and Feb before the green up. It's the freaking rut for crying out loud.

Early fall does a better job of killing back sapling and cedar encroachment. Often times, late winter burns just kill the above ground portion, and the plant still has enough reserves left in the root system to live on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

troy_w_7 11-18-2018 01:39 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Hunted yesterday morning through this morning. Shot this pig at about 7am yesterday. Pig took a death dive into some nasty/thick stuff. Had a young buck walk through at about 30 yards, chased a doe through the field after. No deer last night or this morning. Another group of pigs came through this morning but didn't feel like losing another arrow and broad head. I've got to move units tomorrow. I'm encountering other hunters too often.

JohnEdward 11-19-2018 02:43 PM

Well thanks for the info guys. Guess I know better than to run cameras out there during the season. I work out of town two weeks at a time and cant just run out there right before they decide to burn it.

JohnEdward 11-19-2018 02:49 PM

Anybody got an idea of what parts of 31 they burned? I'm so anxious to find out if that camera got burned. It was such a promising spot!

RShockley 11-19-2018 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeholley (Post 13799418)
Anybody got an idea of what parts of 31 they burned? I'm so anxious to find out if that camera got burned. It was such a promising spot!

Went out today stopping by the forestry office and driving those units. They said they burned all of 30, 31, and 74. When I went out to drive through it looks like the south west side of 31 is pretty spotty but the further north in the units you go the stronger then burn looked. It did not look to have done much damage to the trees though so there is a chance that a camera or stand may have made it through depending on where it was and how far up the tree it was. Going out in the morning when I get off work but still not sure if I am going to walk those units. I will probably checkout other units I have been wanting to scout so I can find a few nice spots for doe days this weekend.

snorlaxyay 11-20-2018 12:44 PM

Do I need a type II to hunt LBJ ?

Kdurham 11-20-2018 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snorlaxyay (Post 13802185)
Do I need a type II to hunt LBJ ?

Hunting license and hunters ed.

JohnEdward 11-21-2018 09:39 AM

Headed out 5o see if the cam survived now.

jnd1959 11-21-2018 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeholley (Post 13804435)
Headed out 5o see if the cam survived now.

Good luck. I think we will head out Sunday to see if I can get my daughter a deer. I'm hoping everyone will have gotten it out of their system by Saturday evening.

seminole1990 11-21-2018 05:12 PM

Not much of a duck hunter but man the boys was throwing it atíem on that pond in 21 last Sunday. Were any of yíall a part of that?

troy_w_7 11-21-2018 09:47 PM

Not me but I could hear them close by.

snorlaxyay 11-22-2018 06:47 PM

hunting lbj for the first time ks there anything I should know?

Texas Grown 11-22-2018 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snorlaxyay (Post 13807560)
hunting lbj for the first time ks there anything I should know?

Have you gotten a copy of the rules and regulations? Along with a map?

JohnEdward 11-23-2018 10:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Camera Survived

JohnEdward 11-24-2018 07:35 AM

Do still hunters really think they can sneak up on deer while talking to each other on walkie talkies from 100yrds apart?

JohnEdward 11-24-2018 07:35 AM

Freaking *******s screwing up the woods for everybody

jnd1959 11-24-2018 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeholley (Post 13810240)
Do still hunters really think they can sneak up on deer while talking to each other on walkie talkies from 100yrds apart?

May want to introduce them to these new fangled phones. They have some kind of text service as I understand it. I quit using walkie talkies 10 years ago except when no service. There's also things called ear buds with microphones.

Some people don't know any better
Some people are just playing at hunting
Some people are actually trying to ruin the hunting
Then there are those that are just jerks.
I'd put the percentages at 40, 25, 5, & 10.

The other 20%, who the heck knows. Stupid is as stupid does.

Texas Grown 11-24-2018 12:18 PM

Just part of hunting public lands.

Turnkey 11-24-2018 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeholley (Post 13810242)
Freaking *******s screwing up the woods for everybody

Did you spend the day in the woods or at work?

Because if you spent it in the woods it was a good day. ;)

JohnEdward 11-24-2018 10:28 PM

Lol I'm aware it's part of it. Just dont understand some people's train of thought. You could imagine their faces when I finally yelled at them to shut up and hunt. I thought they were going to run right out of their skin.

JohnEdward 11-24-2018 10:30 PM

I promptly moved on to the next spot and left the morons to figure it out

jnd1959 11-25-2018 09:32 PM

Hunted some new areas and placed some cameras this afternoon. Very windy. Didn't see anything moving.

Talked to some other hunters that said one of the LBJ lakes had five groups of duck hunters on it.. Can you think of any lake up there that would support 5 groups? That's insane. Five groups shooting at the same 10 ringnecks that decide to land there. I hunted Black Creek Lake back in the late 60s and early 70s. It was crowded then if there were two groups on it.

Group 2 setting up maybe but when group 3 showed up I'd be telling them to go elsewhere.

Drove through some of the burned units. It looks to me like they have more to do.

RShockley 11-25-2018 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jnd1959 (Post 13814870)
Hunted some new areas and placed some cameras this afternoon. Very windy. Didn't see anything moving.

Talked to some other hunters that said one of the LBJ lakes had five groups of duck hunters on it.. Can you think of any lake up there that would support 5 groups? That's insane. Five groups shooting at the same 10 ringnecks that decide to land there. I hunted Black Creek Lake back in the late 60s and early 70s. It was crowded then if there were two groups on it.

Group 2 setting up maybe but when group 3 showed up I'd be telling them to go elsewhere.

Drove through some of the burned units. It looks to me like they have more to do.

Can't think of anything big enough for 5 groups but that has never stopped anybody from setting up 50-100 yards apart before. Black Creek maybe but even it isn't large enough to handle 5 groups. At least not 5 groups with good setups for wind and where they ducks want to be. Then there is that whole not being allowed to hunt on black creek lake to begin with now. I am sure it was probably one of the always busy yet never that good spots. I am not going to throw lake names out there even if they are heavily hunted into the ground already. This is why I leave duck hunting on LBJ to others. The bodies of water I hunt have enough issues as it is. No reason to add the LBJ frustrations to that.

Lightning48 11-28-2018 02:58 PM

Jeholley you sound like buckdaddy69 aka James holley ??? Hmmm are you back? Lol

Razorback01 11-29-2018 07:22 AM

I'd forgotten about Buckdaddy.

troy_w_7 12-01-2018 04:52 PM

Who's still hunting?

Texas Grown 12-01-2018 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lightning48 (Post 13821785)
Jeholley you sound like buckdaddy69 aka James holley ??? Hmmm are you back? Lol

Musta been. He gone now. :D

He tried this a few times before. :rolleyes:

JohnEdward 12-01-2018 11:06 PM

Went out today and moved a camera in on a rub line before leaving for work for a couple weeks.