TexasBowhunter.com Community  Discussion Forums

TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums (https://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/index.php)
-   Public Hunting Opportunities (https://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   2018 LBJ Grasslands (https://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=695920)

jbhunting39 10-21-2018 01:05 PM

Thinking about stopping by San Angelo SP or Twin Buttes for an afternooner on the way back from Odessa Tom. Should only be about 1.5 hours detour. Anybody else hunted there before?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Terran28 10-21-2018 11:22 PM

Hello, My name is Terran. I just joined. I live in FTW and it looks like this is the closest place for me to go hunting is (can't afford a lease). I am mainly interested in hogs at the moment, as I do not have the time to scout for deer or have cameras or anything. I am looking for hints of where to find the hogs out on LBJ. I'm not looking to take anyone's spots, just curious what sections they are usually on. I am 40 and have had my 2014 PSE Vison for 4 years now. I am just now getting back into it and need to dial it in. I also have a 17 year old daughter (turning 18 in Nov) that needs to do her course for Hunters Safety. I would love to take her out with me. Just throwing my greeting out there and see if anyone could give me some suggestions of where to look. As I said, I'm not trying to snipe anyone's spots...

Kdurham 10-21-2018 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terran28 (Post 13721049)
Hello, My name is Terran. I just joined. I live in FTW and it looks like this is the closest place for me to go hunting is (can't afford a lease). I am mainly interested in hogs at the moment, as I do not have the time to scout for deer or have cameras or anything. I am looking for hints of where to find the hogs out on LBJ. I'm not looking to take anyone's spots, just curious what sections they are usually on. I am 40 and have had my 2014 PSE Vison for 4 years now. I am just now getting back into it and need to dial it in. I also have a 17 year old daughter (turning 18 in Nov) that needs to do her course for Hunters Safety. I would love to take her out with me. Just throwing my greeting out there and see if anyone could give me some suggestions of where to look. As I said, I'm not trying to snipe anyone's spots...

Go to the water and work yourself around it. They are there. Check the thick brush and ravens. Plenty of hogs. Seems like more this year than last year and I found 30 last season

IkemanTX 10-22-2018 04:31 PM

Headed out in the AM for 3 days that will probably be my last LBJ hunts of the year. As soon as gun season hits, I high tail it to Oklahoma for lower pressure public land bucks.

Looks like the only rain in the forecast is Wednesday afternoon. The winds are really odd for Tuesday and Wednesday (out of the east) but I think I can make something work.

Good luck to anyone else headed that way.

Texas Grown 10-22-2018 05:23 PM

Good luck to ya Ike. May your arrow fly true.

jnd1959 10-22-2018 06:36 PM

Good luck. I have some east wind spots picked out that have a shooter 8 on camera. Not consistent though. Problem is by the time I get out there it looks like the wind moves to the NW. That'll be a whole new area for me.

icon6669 10-22-2018 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IkemanTX (Post 13723266)
Headed out in the AM for 3 days that will probably be my last LBJ hunts of the year. As soon as gun season hits, I high tail it to Oklahoma for lower pressure public land bucks.

Looks like the only rain in the forecast is Wednesday afternoon. The winds are really odd for Tuesday and Wednesday (out of the east) but I think I can make something work.

Good luck to anyone else headed that way.

Winds were out of the north/NNE all weekend which was also interesting, hunted some different setups than previously had occasion to.

Terran28 10-22-2018 10:26 PM

Razorback01, thank you for the PM, I do not have enough posts to reply back yet.

Razorback01 10-23-2018 04:28 AM

YW, keep posting!

Terran28 10-23-2018 04:51 AM

The Unit you gave me did not come up on the map I found online. However, I Googled the unit and found that the map I researched is not totally accurate on the units. I will go up to the Forestry Office and grab one when I can.

IkemanTX 10-23-2018 05:06 AM

Got to the unit Iím hunting to find someone with a camp setup at the parking lot. Plenty of space for the both of us, and some conversation at camp tonight is always welcome. Hoping I get to help drag a deer out, even if I donít get one myself.

Iím running about an hour early, so taking it slow on the way in. Already jumped 2 deer in the dark in the first 1/3 mile. Havenít used a light for anything but creek crossings.

Razorback01 10-23-2018 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terran28 (Post 13724674)
The Unit you gave me did not come up on the map I found online. However, I Googled the unit and found that the map I researched is not totally accurate on the units. I will go up to the Forestry Office and grab one when I can.

Yeah, some of the map pics online are numbered different than the official maps from the HQ maps. I always assumed they were renumbered at some point. Anyway good luck.

troy_w_7 10-23-2018 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IkemanTX (Post 13724675)
Got to the unit Iím hunting to find someone with a camp setup at the parking lot. Plenty of space for the both of us, and some conversation at camp tonight is always welcome. Hoping I get to help drag a deer out, even if I donít get one myself.

Iím running about an hour early, so taking it slow on the way in. Already jumped 2 deer in the dark in the first 1/3 mile. Havenít used a light for anything but creek crossings.

Good luck!

IkemanTX 10-23-2018 01:02 PM

No deer this morning, but I finally got all set up for my evening spot. The little grove I wanted to sit didnít have a single suitable tree thanks to a ridiculous amount of greenbrier. I made the best of it, though and set up at ground level.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...33333a006c.jpg

On my way from the morning sit to the evening location, I came across this ANCIENT blackjack oak. I donít think I have ever seen one this big. Red oaks, live oaks, and post oaks yes... but not a blackjack.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...2c2156f57c.jpg

troy_w_7 10-23-2018 04:02 PM

What a sweet tree!

IkemanTX 10-23-2018 09:08 PM

Didnít see a darn thing today. Iím sure the full moon didnít help.

Call me selfish, but I feel that if we HAVE to have full moons during hunting season, they should at least rise and set during daylight so they donít reduce deer movement....

Ironman 10-23-2018 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IkemanTX (Post 13727179)

Call me selfish, but I feel that if we HAVE to have full moons during hunting season, they should at least rise and set during daylight so they donít reduce deer movement....

Let me get on the phone. I'll see what I can do about that.

BTW, if you need help, with anything, I'm in Alvord.

jbhunting39 10-23-2018 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IkemanTX (Post 13727179)

I do not even hunt the mornings or afternoons on the day before, the day of or the day after a full moon. Only the middle of the day. My last 2 bucks have been shot on the day before a full moon, 1 @ 11:20AM, the other was at 1:03pm. Same thing on new moons. Especially on public.

jbhunting39 10-24-2018 11:03 AM

I bet it is a fooking mess out there today again

RShockley 10-24-2018 03:09 PM

Hopefully it dries out a little. Planning on going out tomorrow and just doing an all day sit.

RNLedet 10-24-2018 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RShockley (Post 13729546)
Hopefully it dries out a little. Planning on going out tomorrow and just doing an all day sit.

My app shows about 50% chance through 7 am then down to 0% for the rest of the day. Wind back out of the NNE, +50* temp. I'll be out there all morning myself. Good luck out there!

RShockley 10-24-2018 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RNLedet (Post 13729659)
My app shows about 50% chance through 7 am then down to 0% for the rest of the day. Wind back out of the NNE, +50* temp. I'll be out there all morning myself. Good luck out there!

Good luck as well. I always have the rain gear in the pack just in case with how the weather has been this season.

troy_w_7 10-24-2018 03:54 PM

Good luck fellas! I'll be out this weekend and next Tue/Wed! Hoping to see horns chasing some tail!

IkemanTX 10-24-2018 04:11 PM

Iím back at it tomorrow. Moved to oklahoma for today since the rain was several hours later up here. Deer were moving between 2:00 and 3:30 up here.

jnd1959 10-24-2018 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IkemanTX (Post 13729745)
Iím back at it tomorrow. Moved to oklahoma for today since the rain was several hours later up here. Deer were moving between 2:00 and 3:30 up here.

Good luck in Oklahoma. Get your shots, take your passport! I've been thinking of hunting Oklahoma late December or January.

IkemanTX 10-24-2018 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jnd1959 (Post 13730276)
Good luck in Oklahoma. Get your shots, take your passport! I've been thinking of hunting Oklahoma late December or January.

Once November hits, if you donít have private land to hunt, there is MUCH less pressure in Oklahoma compared to Texas ground. When the rut almost completely misses gun season, us archery guys actually have a chance :-)

troy_w_7 10-25-2018 06:54 AM

If we find stands that have been set and left for months by someone else, can we send GPS coordinates to the LBJ office to take down? Or should I just hunt the stand? Dude has a stand setup on a tree that I really like to hunt and I've been debating on what to do.

Thoughts?

XBOW STALKER 10-25-2018 07:01 AM

Hunt it. Your armed if they lip off!

Ironman 10-25-2018 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by troy_w_7 (Post 13731185)
If we find stands that have been set and left for months by someone else, can we send GPS coordinates to the LBJ office to take down? Or should I just hunt the stand? Dude has a stand setup on a tree that I really like to hunt and I've been debating on what to do.

Thoughts?

My concern about hunting it is, there can be some sketchy people on the grasslands. Not everyone out there is on TBH.

Rich1201 10-25-2018 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ironman (Post 13731208)
My concern about hunting it is, there can be some sketchy people on the grasslands. Not everyone out there is on TBH.

This. I've contemplated this before too but I dont know how the owner of that stand would react.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

hogman$ 10-25-2018 08:28 AM

Quote:

Thoughts?

Iím in the same boat had a guy setup in mid September and itís still there Iím hunting it tomorrow morning the wind is perfect for it Iíll see what happens

IkemanTX 10-25-2018 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hogman$ (Post 13731421)
Iím in the same boat had a guy setup in mid September and itís still there Iím hunting it tomorrow morning the wind is perfect for it Iíll see what happens

My only hesitation with hunting someone elseís long term stand is I donít want to be in it when a warden checks it and get the fine for it.
Since I hunt out of a saddle, though. I will sometimes set up just above the stand (or on the opposite side of the tree) so it is a little more obvious it isnít mine.

Iím 2 miles back on a piece, hope for some movement after the rain last night. Just a few raccoons so far.

hogman$ 10-25-2018 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IkemanTX (Post 13731475)
My only hesitation with hunting someone elseís long term stand is I donít want to be in it when a warden checks it and get the fine for it.
Since I hunt out of a saddle, though. I will sometimes set up just above the stand (or on the opposite side of the tree) so it is a little more obvious it isnít mine.

Iím 2 miles back on a piece, hope for some movement after the rain last night. Just a few raccoons so far.

Good point I didnít think about that but I do have pictures of him hauling his stand in Incase I have to prove myself good luck Iím headed out that way today after work hopefully

Goodson 10-25-2018 09:10 AM

Quote:

Thoughts?

I've sat in a stand that was stagnant and had been in a spot for months, it was along a good game trail that I would use a ground blind on. The stand had been hunted so much that the deer were onto it, had two bucks come in about 45 yrds through trees, look right at me, stomp and take off. Just like cameras, anyone who leaves property on public land knows they are abandoning it and its fair game.

nonamehoff 10-25-2018 11:42 AM

I was thinking about hunting LBJ next year and I am curious if there are designated parking spots, or if its a "just park off the road and walk in" kinda thing.

Im looking at onX and having trouble figuring this location out.

Kdurham 10-25-2018 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nonamehoff (Post 13732070)
I was thinking about hunting LBJ next year and I am curious if there are designated parking spots, or if its a "just park off the road and walk in" kinda thing.

Im looking at onX and having trouble figuring this location out.

Park next to gate, but donít block it

nonamehoff 10-25-2018 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kdurham (Post 13732071)
Park next to gate, but donít block it

Gotcha. Are we allowed to drive on the FS roads?

Kdurham 10-25-2018 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nonamehoff (Post 13732224)
Gotcha. Are we allowed to drive on the FS roads?

The gates will be open to units that have drivable roads. Be careful where you park in those areas

nonamehoff 10-25-2018 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kdurham (Post 13732226)
The gates will be open to units that have drivable roads. Be careful where you park in those areas

Why be careful? Just to not block the road for the FS?

Do you know if its legal to ride a bicycle on the units?

Kdurham 10-25-2018 12:59 PM

Youíre not supposed to park off the road in grass, but...

As for bikes, I ride one with no issues