Thoughts on lack of doves?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thoughts on lack of doves?

I know there are a lot of you around the state that have been hammering the doves, but my question is for those of us that aren't seeing many if any at all.
    Here is my situation, I hunt a spot outside of Temple that has a pond, that always has water, big open fields and plenty of trees to roost in. We are surrounded on three sides by fields that grown corn, these fields are always cut by the start of the season, and have plenty of corn left for them to snack on. I have been hunting this place almost for about 12 years. The first 7-8 years, the place was covered in birds the entire season. The last 4-5 it is like they have disappeared. You might shoot a limit for the whole season.

Just doesnt make sense, with the water, habitat and corn fields still there. The same has happened for our duck spot, which is about 15 miles from where we duck hunt. It is like the birds just left. Any thoughts as to why, or anyone else is the same situation?

The obvious thought is the big freeze in February killed a bunch of them that didn't make it as far south as some..

Comment

The freeze hit them.

Comment

Freeze did way more damage then expected I’m guessing
        Others haven’t migrated around really
        I’m currently S/SE of Dallas and every pond is full which doesn’t help

Curious to what the big dogs might do to limits next year

Comment

You want good hunting in Central Texas. Hunt on a city limits area. Beat shoots ive had have been in areas that are against some city. Seems birds get everything they want in neighborhoods

Comment

It’s obviously not the freeze if it’s been the last 4-5 years. However it could have been drought related. There’s so many variables. If they are being pushed by weather until later on then that could be a factor. I’ve always been under the mindset that early season birds are locals and late season birds are migratory. The local birds learn quick when it’s time to stay inside the city/no shooting zones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

More doves than I've ever seen at my daughters place in Kingsbury. I think it because most of the corn fields around here were planted in milo this year.

Comment

Originally posted by hrdwrkncwby76 View Post
                It’s obviously not the freeze if it’s been the last 4-5 years.

I missed the 4-5 year part of his post..

BUT... its been pretty solid for us the last 4-5 years in a couple of my places. This is the first year I have heard so many complaints about no birds in places that are normally hot all around the state with buddies I check in with. Our May Eurasian shoot which is usually a barn burner was pathetic this year. Horrible. I think we killed 4 birds over a pile of discarded wheat. Usually would kill 70-80 in two hunts between 2 of us. Plenty of water and plenty of feed says freeze to me.

Comment

I had the same results as you last yesr on a spot near a tank and cornfields out near taylor. Always had birds but this year right before season it had nothing.
                  Opening day went to another spot between Georgetown and Round Rock close to neighborhoods and a big lake. No planted fields. Man we limited out in 1 hr. Craziest thing Ive seen as i woulda swore it would have no birds. Outta 15 guys like 7-8 limits and everyone else at least 10 or so.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                    I missed the 4-5 year part of his post..

BUT... its been pretty solid for us the last 4-5 years in a couple of my places. This is the first year I have heard so many complaints about no birds in places that are normally hot all around the state with buddies I check in with. Our May Eurasian shoot which is usually a barn burner was pathetic this year. Horrible. I think we killed 4 birds over a pile of discarded wheat. Usually would kill 70-80 in two hunts between 2 of us. Plenty of water and plenty of feed says freeze to me.

Yeah I definitely feel that.

That collared hunt sounds like a blast!!

Comment

Originally posted by longhorn_cop View Post
                      I had the same results as you last yesr on a spot near a tank and cornfields out near taylor. Always had birds but this year right before season it had nothing.
                      Opening day went to another spot between Georgetown and Round Rock close to neighborhoods and a big lake. No planted fields. Man we limited out in 1 hr. Craziest thing Ive seen as i woulda swore it would have no birds. Outta 15 guys like 7-8 limits and everyone else at least 10 or so.

Was that a lease or day hunt? I’m looking for places in the area.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                        The obvious thought is the big freeze in February killed a bunch of them that didn't make it as far south as some..
                        I didnt give much thought to the freeze, but you are right, that could be a big factor for this year.

Comment

Originally posted by longhorn_cop View Post
                          Glad yall had a good hunt

Comment

IMO just changing weather patterns have them moving slightly different times and areas.

Far wetter than ever near San Saba for 2 years. And coolest summer I've seen. Now it just dried out like a desert.

Could also be the freeze.

Comment

Originally posted by DUKFVR View Post
                              The freeze hit them.
                              Hummingbirds also.

Comment

Working...
                              X