TexasBowhunter.com Community  Discussion Forums

TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums (https://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/index.php)
-   Around the Campfire (https://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Mr. Buddy heaters (https://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=786423)

Smart 10-27-2020 05:32 PM

I'd have to have it in front of me....If its not a clog and if it shut off while rolling it could be a faulty thermocouple, a faulty tip switch or and faulty O2 sensor.

They all shut off the propane flow if the don't detect what they are there for.......ie. detect heat right (thermocouple), not sitting level (tip switch) or not enough oxygen in the air (02 sensor). I'm leaning towards the thermocouple because they are usually the most troublesome and most replaced. It is not uncommon for it to light and shut down because the heat screws with the connection. But that's just a guess not looking at it.

Is it sitting level?

cva34 10-27-2020 06:21 PM

I 'm sure there are problems ..Had a couple over years.Been dependable

Dale Moser 10-27-2020 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard M. (Post 15200297)
Anyone fix an ignitor that won't spark? Mine pushes down and returns but doesn't make the clunk to produce a spark. It used to do it every now & then now doesn't at all just feels mushy.

I e never looked at one on a heater, but others Iíve seen in the past can get that way because the plastic nut on the back of it was not tight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DRT 10-27-2020 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smart (Post 15200389)
I'd have to have it in front of me....If its not a clog and if it shut off while rolling it could be a faulty thermocouple, a faulty tip switch or and faulty O2 sensor.

They all shut off the propane flow if the don't detect what they are there for.......ie. detect heat right (thermocouple), not sitting level (tip switch) or not enough oxygen in the air (02 sensor). I'm leaning towards the thermocouple because they are usually the most troublesome and most replaced. It is not uncommon for it to light and shut down because the heat screws with the connection. But that's just a guess not looking at it.

Is it sitting level?

Yes it is level. If I let it set and cool completely off I can start the pilot, turn it to high and it will run 3 or 4 minutes the shut off and not want to reignite.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

DRT 10-27-2020 06:29 PM

I can order one.

DRT 10-27-2020 08:55 PM

Hey I left it running on high with a window open when I went to get my cart. 300 yard walk and drive back and it was still running fine. Maybe the oxygen sensor is really sensitive.

Smart 10-27-2020 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRT (Post 15200992)
Hey I left it running on high with a window open when I went to get my cart. 300 yard walk and drive back and it was still running fine. Maybe the oxygen sensor is really sensitive.

They can be....Folks talk about them going out in their ice shantys because of it. Did you have any windows open when you were running it earlier?

DRT 10-27-2020 09:02 PM

No. I never run it long as a Krivoman heats up quickly. I will mess with it again tomorrow.

Double-O-Dave 10-27-2020 09:35 PM

I've had better luck with the Academy version of the Buddy heaters. I always try to have an Academy heater in the truck for back-up, and switch them out as need be. I do like everyone else has mentioned - fresh propane can, Q-tips/fine wire as well as compressed air to try and clear any possible path through the hoses.

Good luck,

Dave

JLadner 10-27-2020 09:39 PM

Sounds like it is an oxygen issue. I have one that will only run a couple minutes if I do not open the windows. The sensor is very sensitive

gatt40 10-27-2020 10:13 PM

Needs cleaning. I think I used a paper clip to loosen carbon build up then an alcohol soaked q- tip. I did strip away some of the cotton on the tip so it fit inside the orifice. YouTube is your friend.

Dale Moser 10-27-2020 11:46 PM

If the ODS cutting it off, you should be able to see the pilot flame raising up off the thermocouple before it cuts off, thatís how they are designed to work.

DRT 10-29-2020 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dale Moser (Post 15201412)
If the ODS cutting it off, you should be able to see the pilot flame raising up off the thermocouple before it cuts off, thatís how they are designed to work.

Yup. If I leave a window open it works. Kind of defeats the purpose. I need the windows shut on a northern wind. Oh well. Sitka Fanatic to the rescue.

Dale Moser 10-30-2020 12:00 AM

If itís cutting off due to that, then itís looking out for you. Just crack a window and it should do fine.