Archery brands and cam styles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Archery brands and cam styles

I currently have a single cam , PSE firestorm that has a 29 inch draw and a max draw weight at 70 pounds what is the benefits of dual cam ,single cam or no cam and is it worth the upgrade I'm looking to upgrade to more modern style something of the 5 years any recommendations?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Dual cam will give you more speed with less draw weight. It is all preference. A single cam will kill just as good as a dual cam. The biggest difference I have noticed in the parallel limb designs is the vibration. If tuned properly you will only hear the string and almost no hand shock/vibration. That was my biggest take away when I first fired a parallel limb design. I will never no back. I am sure others hear could give you other opinions also.

Comment

Walk into a pro shop and shoot a new bow. It’ll blow your mind compared to your current one! The speed increase and lack of vibration on any modern bow will be hands down better than something from 15-20 years ago. Pretty much every company has gone to a dual cam-like system, and I believe thats for a reason, but I’d let some of the more technical guys weigh in on why that is. Even Mathews “Solocam” doesn’t produce solo cam bows as their flagship anymore. Go hold and shoot them all and see which one speaks to you!

Comment

Originally posted by AggieArcher View Post
        Walk into a pro shop and shoot a new bow. It’ll blow your mind compared to your current one! The speed increase and lack of vibration on any modern bow will be hands down better than something from 15-20 years ago. Pretty much every company has gone to a dual cam-like system, and I believe thats for a reason, but I’d let some of the more technical guys weigh in on why that is. Even Mathews “Solocam” doesn’t produce solo cam bows as their flagship anymore. Go hold and shoot them all and see which one speaks to you!
        I saw a 2014 Mathews no cam design it looked weird what's the deal with that?

Comment

Weird In what way?

Comment

Originally posted by tradslam View Post
            Weird In what way?
            The cams where unlike any I have seen almost like experimental at a glance it looked normal it's like a 500 bow

Comment

I shoot the no cam and love it. Super smooth but not a burner on speed.

Comment

The answer to your question could fill a book; here's the short version.

Dual Cam Cams are mirror images of each other and not slaved together, each cam can work independently of the other cam. Timing was critical and on early bows, with less advanced string/cable material, it was easy for them to go out of time and cause shooting irregularities. Two cams are still produced mainly in "grow with you" bows like the Hoyt Klash.

Single Cam Three track single cam with an idler wheel, made it possible to eliminate timing errors of two cam bows, although they could still go out of tune due to string or cable elongation. Early models had terrible nock point travel that made them difficult to tune, but it was possible. Great marketing lead to them being very popular.

Binary Cams AKA dual track binary cams are just like dual cams but the cams are slaved together by the cables; this makes timing slightly easier than two cam models, but not by much. Probably the most popular system out right now.

Hybrid Cams Hoyt uses this exclusively on their flagship bows. The cams are not mirror images and the timing is set using a control cable and buss cable; thus allowing the tuning to be done for both timing and starting position independently and very easily.

No cam system is really "better" than the other one, all have pros and cons. However, with today's advanced string and cable materials and the advent of "balanced" cams (like Prime, Mathews, Pse, etc.) there is a real difference in overall performance to bows of just 5-7 years ago due to reduced system torque. Other companies, like Bowtech, choose to build a system that does not use a balanced cam, but is easily tuned to deliver torque free performance (less cam lean) more like the two cam bows of old.

As a rule the single cam tech is a bit slower and many times less efficient than any of the other cam systems, but can be made to be very smooth for the energy delivered.

All of them can be tuned and shot well.

IMHO, yes, it is worth the upgrade but just due to the cam design; bows as a whole have made major improvements in limbs, riser designs and overall shootability the last 5-7 years compared to your Firestorm.

Comment

Originally posted by Rat View Post
                  The answer to your question could fill a book; here's the short version.

Dual Cam Cams are mirror images of each other and not slaved together, each cam can work independently of the other cam. Timing was critical and on early bows, with less advanced string/cable material, it was easy for them to go out of time and cause shooting irregularities. Two cams are still produced mainly in "grow with you" bows like the Hoyt Klash.

Single Cam Three track single cam with an idler wheel, made it possible to eliminate timing errors of two cam bows, although they could still go out of tune due to string or cable elongation. Early models had terrible nock point travel that made them difficult to tune, but it was possible. Great marketing lead to them being very popular.

Binary Cams AKA dual track binary cams are just like dual cams but the cams are slaved together by the cables; this makes timing slightly easier than two cam models, but not by much. Probably the most popular system out right now.

Hybrid Cams Hoyt uses this exclusively on their flagship bows. The cams are not mirror images and the timing is set using a control cable and buss cable; thus allowing the tuning to be done for both timing and starting position independently and very easily.

No cam system is really "better" than the other one, all have pros and cons. However, with today's advanced string and cable materials and the advent of "balanced" cams (like Prime, Mathews, Pse, etc.) there is a real difference in overall performance to bows of just 5-7 years ago due to reduced system torque. Other companies, like Bowtech, choose to build a system that does not use a balanced cam, but is easily tuned to deliver torque free performance (less cam lean) more like the two cam bows of old.

As a rule the single cam tech is a bit slower and many times less efficient than any of the other cam systems, but can be made to be very smooth for the energy delivered.

All of them can be tuned and shot well.

IMHO, yes, it is worth the upgrade but just due to the cam design; bows as a whole have made major improvements in limbs, riser designs and overall shootability the last 5-7 years compared to your Firestorm.
                  Thank you this was very helpfull and I'm not wanting to upgrade just because of the cams I was just a but more interested in the different designs and what they do or what the upgrades could benefit in I've just noticed a huge overall speed bump and stability and wait and accuracy even in newer bows and I'd rather use that than my dinosaur

Comment

Originally posted by bowfishtank401 View Post
                    Thank you this was very helpfull and I'm not wanting to upgrade just because of the cams I was just a but more interested in the different designs and what they do or what the upgrades could benefit in I've just noticed a huge overall speed bump and stability and wait and accuracy even in newer bows and I'd rather use that than my dinosaur

Every manufacturer has a design they think is the best! Fortunately, the designs usually do add something substantial to the bow.

Parallel limbs offer less recoil at the shot, which translates into reduced vibration and the "dead in the hand" feel we all like.

Caged and bridged risers help keep a bow stiff yet light.

Prime has perfected the center grip tech (others have tried) and the swerve in the lower half of the riser for better stability.

PSE has a limb adjustment system for tuning built into the limb pockets.

Long stiff risers offer more rigidity than ever for torque free shooting.

Cable guards have changed to the point where they are no longer an obstacle to tune around but can be used to tune the bow.

Bowtech overdrive binary cams have all kinds of things that can flip from smooth to fast, micro-tune and adjust draw length without a press.

Mathews has long been known for built in dampeners that help in many ways other than just vibration dampening, like adding weight in the right spot.

There are lots of good reasons to shoot a new bow right now.

Comment

I would jump on that no cam for500 best shooting bow I’ve ever shot . Not a speed bow but a smooth forgiving shooter.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoss163 View Post
                        I would jump on that no cam for500 best shooting bow I’ve ever shot . Not a speed bow but a smooth forgiving shooter.
                        Is sacrificing speed really worth it?

Comment

Originally posted by Rat View Post

Bears also use Hybrid cams.

Comment

What do you need speed for ? I used to think I wanted speed to I had a halon that shot 319 FPS but I shoot the no cam twice as accurate as I did the Halon . Unless you plan on shooting Animals out past 30 yards the speed isn’t going to come in that big of play . Just go to your local bow shop get them to set up what ever bow feels the best in your hands when you shoot it . A faster bow is a quicker Miss is all it is . Brace height is the key if you want speed find the bow with the longest brace height that has the ibo speed that you would be happiest with . And yes the duel cams are going to give you more speed but the brace height makes a difference as well as far a speed goes .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Y’all are some smart jokers

Comment

Working...
                              X