Getting mixed feeder pen reviews

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting mixed feeder pen reviews

Wanting to cut cattle panel in half and use for feeder pens only for hogs no cows on my place. Any 1st hand experience? Thank you!

We had 34” hog panels around our feeders. Hogs and cows were going over the panels. Built and Put up 44” tall panels and nothing but deer are getting in now (and coons)

Comment

I've had bigger boars climb the 32" hog panels, so I'd say the half cattle panels won't do it.

Comment

It will work. Put a strand of barbed wire above it about 8”. I have 24” goat wire and a strand of horse wire on mine and have never had a pig in it.

Comment

In my experience, if you build your pen big enough so that the corn doesnt sling out of the pen, you wont have issues with the pigs. Not saying they cant get over em, but they normally wont unless you give em a reason to. I know a guy who had red wattle domestic hogs, boar and sows, and had spotted and striped piglets. He had 4ft tall fencing. They either did their business through the fence, or the boar jumped the fence. My bet is ge was jumping.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Might be a little late.. it took a couple months for my deer to get use to the pen.

Comment

I have had bigger ones climb out of a full-height panel twice---

Comment

I think it’s better than nothing.

Comment

We do this exact same thing with 48" panels and generally have no issues at all with hogs. There are a few that make it over, but not many... once they realize that the fence keeps them off the bulk of the corn, they go somewhere else.

I did shoot a big pig inside a pen last year, so it does happen... it is rare though.

Comment

Thank yall

Comment

Lots of threads on this topic. You will always get mixed reviews because we have mixed results. Some will jump a panel that short others won’t.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                        Lots of threads on this topic. You will always get mixed reviews because we have mixed results. Some will jump a panel that short others won’t.
                        This is exactly right. Depends on the hog. I used a pen that was already in place in Trinity Co. and the gate panel had been cut down until you could step over it. In two years the only hogs ever caught on camera actually in the pen were the footballs that went through the cut down cattle panels. Lots of the hogs were taller than the cut down section. I think it might have something to do with hogs being trapped. If not, they might get in, if they’ve been trapped, maybe they don’t want to go in. When the weeds grew up in this pen in the spring, I opened the gate so the hogs would trample the weeds down. Some of them still would NOT go in. Regardless, I’ve never had a hog inside any pen if the gate was closed.

Comment

I have four pens out of the half panels and no hogs.

Comment

I would personally just go with hog panels from the start and not try to "make it work" with 1/2 panels. You aren't saving that much money in the grand scheme of things.

Comment

Hog panels typically work well. A small % of pigs will go over or under either one so just go with what you prefer. You can usually kill the pigs that clear the fence and eliminate the problem fairly easily.

Comment

Working...
                              X